Author Topic: 'We Were Soldiers' author is interviewing Vietnam vets and preserving their war stories  (Read 351 times)

rangerrebew

'We Were Soldiers' author is interviewing Vietnam vets and preserving their war stories

By: Joe Galloway, March 29, 2017 (Photo Credit: Army)

[ Editor’s note: The following is a guest commentary by Joe Galloway, the long-time war correspondent who co-authored “We Were Soldiers Once-And Young” with Lt. Gen. (ret) Hal Moore.]

Wednesday, March 29, was National Vietnam Veterans Day, and communities across the country said a heart-felt WELCOME HOME to the men and women they sent off to war half a century ago, but forgot to honor when they came home.

Those communities are helped and encouraged in welcoming home their veterans by the Vietnam War 50th Anniversary Commemoration project, chartered by Congress and operated by the Office of the Secretary of Defense, not just on March 29 but every day for a decade that runs from 2015 through 2025.

http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/joe-galloway-commentary-vietnam-commemoration
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:36:33 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Glad to hear Joe Galloway is still among us, and still doing interviews. Good. This needs to be done.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
From the article at above link:
From every veteran interviewed I learn something about the Vietnam War that I didn’t know, even after doing four tours covering Vietnam as a war correspondent and reading the hundreds of books on that war of our youth that fill the shelves of my library.

It is a matter of pleasure…and pride…and tears, capturing their stories. I have a feeling that we must capture their stories before they are lost forever.
We are dragging up memories that are fading fast. The Vietnam War Commemoration is healing old wounds, and I can’t think of anything I would rather be doing at this point in my life.

God bless you sir and God speed this great endeavor!  USARV 1966-67
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien