Author Topic: Grapes (aka Varietals)  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Night Hides Not

Grapes (aka Varietals)
« on: April 27, 2017, 07:43:48 pm »
While reading up on HB 1514, I came across this website:

https://www.txwines.org/texas-wine/texas-grape-varieties-wines/

I've got a lot more studying to do...

On the same page, you can download a list of all AVAs (American Viticulture Areas) in the US. Welll, I thought you could...lol.

Here's an alternate site, very easy to use:

http://wine.appellationamerica.com/wine-region-index.aspx
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: Grapes (aka Varietals)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 02:50:22 pm »
Tasted a new wine last weekend: Montepulciano, a hearty red wine.

Montepulciano is the 2nd most planted red grape in Italy (after Sangiovese) and has had a reputation for low-priced juicy “pizza-friendly” red wines. Fortunately, there are several producers in Abruzzo that have shown the amazing potential of this grape by producing inky, black-fruit driven, chocolatey wines best enjoyed after 4 or more years of aging.

Medium-bodied red wines like Montepulciano generally pair with a wide variety of foods due to natural elevated acidity. However, with Montepulciano, the robust herbal and tobacco-like flavors with grippy tannin often call for richer and more savory foods. Montepulciano will cut through some of the meatiest meats (like beef brisket) and pair nicely alongside rich, roasted winter vegetables. If you learn only one tip about pairing with Montepulciano, it is to match it with something with substance (fat).

Examples
Meat:
Roasted Pork Shoulder, Beef Burgers with Mushrooms, Beef Bolognese, Barbecued Beef Brisket, Beef Tacos, Filipino Beef Adobo, Braised Goat, Shepard’s Pie, Meatloaf, Meat Lover’s Pizza

Cheese:

Baked Macaroni and Cheese, Aged Cheddar, Parmesan, Asiago, Pepper Jack

Herb/Spice:
Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Coriander, Black Pepper, Cumin, Caraway, Chipotle, Cocoa, Coffee, Balsamic

Vegetable: Stuffed Baked Potato, Southern-style Collard Greens, Black Bean Burgers, Roasted Mushrooms, Pinto Beans, Wild Rice, Winter Beets, Winter Farro, Sunchokes

http://winefolly.com/review/montepulciano-wine-guide/

The wine I tasted was 90% Montepulciano and 10% Ruby Cabernet, all grapes were grown in the Texas High Plains AVA, near Lubbock. I like wines with some acidity, and this one fit the bill.

I now have a red and a white to drink with my black bean burgers, which you can find at Costco:

White - Riesling
Red - Montepulciano
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 02:59:18 pm »
I am looking for a new type of wine...I do like Rieslings but sometimes they can be too sweet.

I drink a lot of merlot but they are too dry...I need something in-between..

I also like sweet cuvee champagne which I drink a lot...the Brut is just too dry for me..

suggestions please
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:00:16 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 03:15:11 pm »
I knew  we grew a lot of grapes here but I didn't realize that Michigan is the 4th largest grape growing state in America.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 03:18:00 pm »
I am looking for a new type of wine...I do like Rieslings but sometimes they can be too sweet.
I drink a lot of merlot but they are too dry...I need something in-between..
I also like sweet cuvee champagne which I drink a lot...the Brut is just too dry for me..
suggestions please
@mystery-ak

Buy Colby red from California.  Walgreens has it, $9.  Last week at my meeting with the Spanish Priest, he had found this wine and says it is wonderful.  Not dry, just right.  Someone gave him a bottle and now he is buying it.  We were in Walgreens over the weekend and the slot was there for this wine, but it was sold out.  He said the Walgreens price is lower than other places.  I will keep trying to get it.  If you get it before I do, let me know what you think.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 03:25:58 pm »
@mystery-ak

Also get Malbec by Norton or any other brand.  It comes from Argentina only as no other country has those grapes.  It is a fine wine.  I can't stand dry wine and this one is just right.  I will compare it with Colby if I can find a bottle.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 03:28:53 pm »
@mystery-ak

Buy Colby red from California.  Walgreens has it, $9.  Last week at my meeting with the Spanish Priest, he had found this wine and says it is wonderful.  Not dry, just right.  Someone gave him a bottle and now he is buying it.  We were in Walgreens over the weekend and the slot was there for this wine, but it was sold out.  He said the Walgreens price is lower than other places.  I will keep trying to get it.  If you get it before I do, let me know what you think.

Not available in my area...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 03:39:58 pm »
Not available in my area...
@mystery-ak

What do you mean?  You don't have Walgreens in your area?  Then, go to any wine store, they should have it.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 03:50:50 pm »
@mystery-ak

What do you mean?  You don't have Walgreens in your area?  Then, go to any wine store, they should have it.

Walgreens here doesn't carry it...I will check at all the liquor stores which we have plenty..lol
Support the USO