Author Topic: Texas Wine Bill  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Night Hides Not

Texas Wine Bill
« on: April 27, 2017, 01:24:02 pm »
https://haysfreepress.com/2017/03/15/new-wine-bill-demands-100-wineries-show-concern-about-100-texas-grape-bill/

New wine bill demands 100%: Wineries show concern about 100% Texas grape bill

Excerpt:

A Texas House Bill sent to committee last week could impact the wine industry, starting September 1, 2017.

House Bill 1514, filed Feb. 2, would require wineries looking for a Texas wine distinction to use 100 percent of the grapes grown on Texas farms and produce it entirely in the state to qualify. The current benchmark for consideration was 75 percent of the volume, said Terry Franks, chief of staff for Texas Representative Jason Isaac (R-Dripping Springs).

“As the wine industries grows and becomes more sophisticated in Texas, we really need to do a lot more to protect and bring the wine industry into more of a recognized status so when you buy a Texas wine, you’re buying Texas grapes,” Franks said.

On first blush, the idea's a good one. IMHO, it's premature by perhaps a decade. The Texas wine industry has grown rapidly, moving from 10th to 6th in the US over the past few years. Last year, they barely produced enough for in-state consumption.

Many wineries in Texas buy grapes from outside their local area...hey, North Texas can be hellish for producing grapes. My friends at Lost Oak Winery in Burleson buy grapes from the Lubbock area (Texas High Plains AVA) and states such as California. In the three years I've been a wine club member, I've seen their rapid growth...they're struggling to keep up with the demand.

What's lost in this bill is an appreciation for the producers' abilities to produce great wine, no matter where the grape was grown. Our wine producing friends in Germany do it right: their labels show the varietal grape and the vineyard from whence it came. For example, a Piesporter Michelsberg Riesling Auslese gives you the town (Piesport), vineyard (Michelsberg), varietal (Riesling - btw, for a grape to be on the label, the wine must be made from at least 85% of that grape), and category (Auslese denotes the amount of residual sugar in the wine).

This bill will only make it more difficult for small vineyards in Texas, and I'm not sure that it will help out the larger vineyards such as Becker or Llano Estacado.

The bill was referred to the licensing and administrative procedures committee March 9, though Franks said the provision of the bill calling for 100 percent of the wine volume to be produced in-state will likely be unobtainable in the near future.

100 percent? That is simply not realistic. I am an ardent Texan wine enthusiast, but again, the focus should be on the producer, not the grape. What makes the Texas wine industry so appealing is the imagination used in blending wines, increasing the level of "fun" in drinking wine, getting away from the pretentiousness/snootiness of other wine regions. A casual drinker won't find a significant difference between a $20 Texas Cabernet and a $200 Napa Cabernet.

My goodness, I've run my own "blind taste tests" of Piesporter Auslese with friends and family. It was hilarious: the cheaper Michelsberg wine (I call it the Walmart of German vineyards) beat the more expensive Goldtropfchen wine. On top of that, I've found the Rieslings produced by Llano Estacado and Lost Oak to compare very well to my beloved Mosel Rieslings.

BTW, these Piesport wines can be found in larger stores such as Spec's and Total Wine, usually between $12-$15 per bottle. Good quality wines that don't have the panache of an Urzig or Graach, but can be bought at 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: Texas Wine Bill
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 01:28:16 pm »
Just checked the Legislative site. Latest status is "Left pending in committee"...hope that means it's going no further.

It's a good thing the Texas Lege meets once every other year...less mischief they can do.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 01:32:36 pm »
regulations to "protect" the industry

lovely

we're from the government and we are here to help....

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 01:41:49 pm »
regulations to "protect" the industry

lovely

we're from the government and we are here to help....

I just sent an email to Matt Rinaldi, my rep...he was voted most conservative TX state rep last  year. We'll see...

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 01:56:07 pm »
I can just imagine what Texas wine is about....

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 02:15:00 pm »
I can just imagine what Texas wine is about....

It's good wine, Frank...give it a try. Brands I know well are Lost Oak Winery, Messina Hof, Becker, and Llano Estacado. Full disclosure: I've been a member at Lost Oak for 3+ years, my favorite place to hang out...too bad it's an hour's drive from my house.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 02:21:59 pm »
I just sent an email to Matt Rinaldi, my rep...he was voted most conservative TX state rep last  year. We'll see...

It's too bad he is surrounded by RINOS in the body he works in!  HE is great!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 02:23:30 pm »
It's good wine, Frank...give it a try.

Love to, but from the article there isn't enough made to pass around at a campfire.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 02:24:59 pm »
Love to, but from the article there isn't enough made to pass around at a campfire.

OH we make plenty!  The problem is that we drink all we can and sell the rest!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 04:32:52 pm »
OH we make plenty!  The problem is that we drink all we can and sell the rest!

That's the problem: not much left to sell outside of Texas. Demand and supply are in balance in the state, even though Texas adds about 250,000 potential new customers every year.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 04:33:49 pm »
It's too bad he is surrounded by RINOS in the body he works in!  HE is great!

I also asked him to run for Kenny Marchant's House seat next year, he'd be a great addition to the Freedom Caucus.

ETA: I forgot to add that, as the moderator, this is a "thread hijack free zone," mainly because I'm known to hijack threads...I'll try to keep it centered on wine, of course.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:41:55 pm by Night Hides Not »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 04:34:37 pm »
Let the Texas wine industry decide how to market and mark Texas wines.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 04:36:58 pm »
I also asked him to run for Kenny Marchant's House seat next year, he'd be a great addition to the Freedom Caucus.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 05:44:54 pm »
Let the Texas wine industry decide how to market and mark Texas wines.

Texas wine drinkers aren't so provincial that they will only buy wine from grapes grown in Texas. We focus on who's making it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 09:08:05 pm »
ETA: I forgot to add that, as the moderator, this is a "thread hijack free zone," mainly because I'm known to hijack threads...I'll try to keep it centered on wine, of course.

It's not breaking the law if you do it...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:09:11 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Wingnut

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 01:00:25 am »
Mrs Wing and me used to go down to Salado and enjoy the annual Texas Wine & Art Festival's.  Not so much the art stuff but I did enjoy partaking in the grape.  Good times and for the most part good people.  Loved having cocktails at the Old Stage Coach Stop on Main and Front St in Salado and have a drink in the Saloon!

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 05:54:52 pm »
It appears this bill did not make it out of committee.  :beer:

Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 05:59:01 pm »

Dudes kinda famous now!  He has ICE on speed dial!

Offline al_c

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 07:19:21 pm »
That's the problem: not much left to sell outside of Texas. Demand and supply are in balance in the state, even though Texas adds about 250,000 potential new customers every year.

The bigger problem … and why it may not sell much outside of Texas … is that wine snobs look down their noses at Texas wines.
al_c

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 07:26:34 pm »
The bigger problem … and why it may not sell much outside of Texas … is that wine snobs look down their noses at Texas wines.

Good.  Keeps the price down.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 08:46:49 pm »

Truth be told, there's not much to sell outside of Texas. Production is barely keeping pace with supply in Texas.

I can't wait for my next trip down to San Marcos/Fredericksburg in a couple of weeks. Many excellent wineries (and craft breweries) in that area.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 08:57:40 pm »
Good.  Keeps the price down.

There was a simple solution to be had, and the 100% extremists botched it. Currently, for a wine to be classified as a "Texas wine", you must have a minimum of 75% from grapes grown in Texas. The bill called for 100%.

German labeling laws have been among the most stringent for decades. Germany requires a minimum of 85% for a varietal to be on the label, i.e. Riesling, Spätburgunder, Dornfelder, etc. IMO, a compromise of 85-90% was there for the taking.

Texas winemakers have been producing a number of blended wines that are interesting, and FUN! Depending upon the grape, they often have to go outside of the state. To me, it's not where the grape comes from, it's the skill of the vintner that makes a wine special.

As to keeping the cost down, the current situation allows more flexibility in the market, and the producer can shop for the best prices. OTOH, I've seen the success of my local winery in the modest increases in price that I've seen over the past three years. That's been offset by the discounts afforded to wine club members.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 12:51:53 pm »
Excerpt of the email I received from Matt yesterday:

Because of the unintended consequences to small wineries, I would have opposed HB 1514 had it come to the floor for a vote.

A companion Senate Bill 1833 never got scheduled for a public meeting.

My chest puffed up a bit when I read this in the email:

I'm glad you shared your concerns with me about the thrust of the legislation harming smaller wineries, and I've recorded your opinion for consideration next session is a similar bill is filed.

Probably boilerplate, but what the hell...  lol.