Author Topic: Trump agrees to renegotiate NAFTA with Canada, Mexico – for now  (Read 1015 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump agrees to renegotiate NAFTA with Canada, Mexico – for now
Published April 27, 2017 Fox News

President Trump and the leaders of Mexico and Canada agreed Wednesday to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), the White House said – though Trump warned Thursday he’d be willing to “terminate” the pact if they can’t strike a “fair deal.” 

"It is my privilege to bring NAFTA up to date through renegotiation," Trump said in a statement late Wednesday. "It is an honor to deal with both [Mexican] President [Enrique] Peña Nieto and [Canadian] Prime Minister [Justin] Trudeau, and I believe that the end result will make all three countries stronger and better."

more
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/27/trump-agrees-to-renegotiate-nafta-with-canada-mexico-leaders.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

geronl

Re: Trump agrees to renegotiate NAFTA with Canada, Mexico – for now
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 01:14:29 pm »
It takes 3 sides to renegotiate it, you can't do it unilaterally

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 01:30:04 pm »
Fox News, Apr 27, 2017

President Trump and the leaders of Mexico and Canada agreed Wednesday to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), the White House said – though Trump warned Thursday he’d be willing to “terminate” the pact if they can’t strike a “fair deal.” 

"It is my privilege to bring NAFTA up to date through renegotiation," Trump said in a statement late Wednesday. "It is an honor to deal with both [Mexican] President [Enrique] Peña Nieto and [Canadian] Prime Minister [Justin] Trudeau, and I believe that the end result will make all three countries stronger and better."

The White House added that Trump "agreed not to terminate NAFTA at this time" and that all three leaders ""agreed to proceed swiftly, according to their required internal procedures, to enable the renegotiation" of the trade deal to "the benefit of all three countries."

But Trump tweeted early Thursday that his cooperation is contingent on a fair deal being reached.

"I received calls from the President of Mexico and the Prime Minister of Canada asking to renegotiate NAFTA rather than terminate. I agreed," he tweeted. "... subject to the fact that if we do not reach a fair deal for all, we will then terminate NAFTA. Relationships are good-deal very possible!"

The Mexican government confirmed the conversation in a statement issued late Wednesday.

"The leaders agreed on the convenience of maintaining the North American Free Trade Agreement and working together with Canada to carry out a successful renegotiation for the benefit of all three countries," the statement read.

Trump repeatedly railed against the two-decade-old trade agreement on the campaign trail, describing it repeatedly as a "disaster."

Earlier Wednesday, sources told Fox News that the White House had drafted a notification signaling the United States' intention to withdraw from NAFTA. The document would have given the leaders of Canada and Mexico six months' notice of the administration's intention to exit from the agreement.

More:  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/27/trump-agrees-to-renegotiate-nafta-with-canada-mexico-leaders.html

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 01:30:53 pm »
Earlier Wednesday, sources told Fox News that the White House had drafted a notification signaling the United States' intention to withdraw from NAFTA. The document would have given the leaders of Canada and Mexico six months' notice of the administration's intention to exit from the agreement.

Winning!  @mystery-ak

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 01:31:53 pm »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 01:48:39 pm »
Winning!  @mystery-ak

I wouldn't applaud this yet ... we'll see how he renegotiates it.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline MOD8

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 02:35:35 pm »
Duplicates Merged

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 02:56:13 pm »
I wouldn't applaud this yet ... we'll see how he renegotiates it.

Yes, we can.  The choice is renegotiate to our satisfaction ... or we end it.  Sounds pretty damn good to me. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 02:59:59 pm »
Yes, we can.  The choice is renegotiate to our satisfaction ... or we end it.  Sounds pretty damn good to me.

Sounds pretty anti-American to me.

And by "anti-American", I don't mean some nebulous idea of "American"...I mean, "pertaining to Americans"...those of us who will be paying the burden of this folly.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 03:02:01 pm »
Sounds pretty anti-American to me.

And by "anti-American", I don't mean some nebulous idea of "American"...I mean, "pertaining to Americans"...those of us who will be paying the burden of this folly.

Thanks for sharing.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 12:07:59 am »
Winning?  Much too early to tell; we need to see what happens as a result of the negotiations and what the negotiations entail.

Trump says NAFTA negotiations start now -- but they can't

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/27/politics/donald-trump-nafta-90-days/index.html

NAFTA: Trump plays a risky game with $1.2 trillion in trade

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/27/investing/nafta-us-mexico-canada-what-is-at-stake/index.html

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 03:09:14 am »
Thanks for sharing.   *****rollingeyes*****

You're so welcome.

I will also share that when it comes to a decision between freedom/NAFTA and big-government/anti-NAFTA, I'll side with prosperity for Americans (NAFTA) over statist interference (anti-NAFTA).
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline corbe

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 03:15:09 am »
Trump: I was 'psyched to terminate' NAFTA

By Max Greenwood  - 04/27/17 09:53 PM EDT

President Trump was poised to withdraw the U.S. from the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) before a bevy of advisers and administration officials reportedly talked him out of it.

"I was all set to terminate," Trump told The Washington Post on Thursday. "I looked forward to terminating. I was going to do it."

Trump echoed that characterization in an interview with Reuters, saying he was "psyched to terminate" NAFTA before fielding calls with the leaders of Mexico and Canada.

The president had planned to sign the document triggering a U.S. withdrawal from NAFTA on Saturday – the marker of his 100th day in office. But a group of top administration officials, including Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue, urged the president to reconsider the move, the Post reported.

Trump acknowledged earlier on Thursday that terminating the free trade agreement would be a "shock to the system."

He president explained his change of heart by pointing to phone calls with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

"[Peña Nieto] said to me, 'I would really appreciate if we could negotiate instead of you terminating, because terminating sets a lot of things in motion that could be pretty devastating for a lot of people,'" Trump recalled to the Post.

As a presidential candidate, Trump vowed to withdraw from NAFTA, often disparaging it as "one of the worst deals ever." And while the president decided to keep the agreement in place, he said on Thursday that a U.S. withdrawal is still on the table if negotiations falter.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/331015-trump-i-was-all-set-to-terminate-nafta

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline endicom

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 03:20:32 am »
I will also share that when it comes to a decision between freedom/NAFTA and big-government/anti-NAFTA, I'll side with prosperity for Americans (NAFTA) over statist interference (anti-NAFTA).

Then you have a problem because NAFTA is big-government statism.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 05:05:23 am »

What sounds good?  You don't have any idea what the negotiation will be.  We have to wait and see.  But I will say it again.  Not what he said he was going to do.  I didn't vote for him but you did and he said he would leave NAFTA.

He has done completer reversal on everything Mexico.  I don't know if you can just leave NAFTA.  This makes Trump look like a complete idiot.  He said it over and over on the campaign trail as if it was doable.  Now he realizes that it isn't?  He could get the wall built but now he can't.  He can lower our insurance premiums but now they will be raised even farther.

And taxes too.  If it ends up raising taxes on single mother and lower to middle class Americans Republicans are finished. 

I don't know who is stupid.  Trump or the people who voted for him and believed he could pull it all off.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:07:52 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 01:14:49 pm »
Well, just like he said to the WSJ....

Mr. Trump dismissed talk about a split inside his White House between aides with a nationalist or globalist orientation. "Hey, I'm a nationalist and a globalist," he said. "I'm both. And I'm the only one who makes the decision, believe me."

:facepalm:
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 01:30:24 pm »

I don't know who is stupid.  Trump or the people who voted for him ....

I think they're the people who did not vote for him @Chosen Daughter and choose to denigrate everything the President does.  They're sounding bitter and shallow and very ill-informed about what candidate Trump said he would accomplish as President Trump.  Alas, they are the tiresome and small people we endure.  :shrug:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 02:32:26 pm »
What sounds good?  You don't have any idea what the negotiation will be.  We have to wait and see.  But I will say it again.  Not what he said he was going to do.  I didn't vote for him but you did and he said he would leave NAFTA.

He has done completer reversal on everything Mexico.  I don't know if you can just leave NAFTA.  This makes Trump look like a complete idiot.  He said it over and over on the campaign trail as if it was doable.  Now he realizes that it isn't?  He could get the wall built but now he can't.  He can lower our insurance premiums but now they will be raised even farther.

And taxes too.  If it ends up raising taxes on single mother and lower to middle class Americans Republicans are finished. 

I don't know who is stupid.  Trump or the people who voted for him and believed he could pull it all off.

Trump isn't stupid; he just thought that running our country was going to be just like running a business; it isn't and it's not. He's going to make money off being President and the 'deals' he cuts.  IF renegotiating NAFTA is going to make him money; he will negotiate it in his favor and hopefully it will benefit America.  As for the people who voted for him in the primaries; they were duped ... hook, line and sinker! 

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 02:50:39 pm »
IF renegotiating NAFTA is going to make him money; he will negotiate it in his favor and hopefully it will benefit America.  As for the people who voted for him in the primaries; they were duped ... hook, line and sinker!

Wow .. this is wrong on so many levels .... including you proclaiming that I was duped.  I posted links to nearly every rally speech candidate Trump gave during the primary and general election cycles in the hopes some of the NT's would at least listen and hear him.  But apparently the opportunity was discarded out of hand by many.

Candidate Trump was VERY clear that he would pull us out of TPP (which he has done) and that NAFTA was the worst agreement in history ... because it hurt American workers.  His promise was to renegotiate the agreement on behalf of American interests ... or end it.  And this is exactly where we are today ... with renegotiation moving forward and withdrawal on the table.

I don't care if you do not believe the President @libertybele or attach some fabricated motivation to his actions --- he is doing what he promised to do.  So please, stop insulting me.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 03:48:27 pm »
Candidate Trump was VERY clear that he would pull us out of TPP (which he has done) and that NAFTA was the worst agreement in history ... because it hurt American workers.  His promise was to renegotiate the agreement on behalf of American interests ... or end it.  And this is exactly where we are today ... with renegotiation moving forward and withdrawal on the table.

Yes, but he was also VERY clear that NATO was obsolete and China was a currency manipulator - until they weren't.  It helps with negotiations and credibility, if you're at least somewhat consistent.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 03:51:20 pm »
Candidate Trump was VERY clear that he would pull us out of TPP (which he has done) and that NAFTA was the worst agreement in history ... because it hurt American workers.  His promise was to renegotiate the agreement on behalf of American interests ... or end it.

The big-government solution of crushing free trade and pushing mandates and barriers, in order to provide a wealth transfer to "American workers" and business owners who aren't competitive, is at the expense of "American interests".
+++++++++