Author Topic: Ann Coulter cancels Berkeley speech over campus safety concerns  (Read 1581 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ann Coulter cancels Berkeley speech over campus safety concerns
By John Bowden - 04/26/17 01:17 PM EDT

Conservative author and speaker Ann Coulter has canceled a fought-over appearance she was set to make Thursday at the University of California, Berkeley.

"There will be no speech," she told The New York Times and Reuters on Wednesday.

She said the conservative groups sponsoring her remarks withdrew their support on Tuesday, citing security concerns.

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/330680-ann-coulter-cancels-berkeley-speech-due-to-riot-concerns

the little fascists have won again..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

geronl

Re: Ann Coulter cancels Berkeley speech over campus safety concerns
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 05:57:25 pm »

commies won, fascists lost

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 06:11:19 pm »
commies won, fascists lost

No, the fascists in question ARE communists. There ain't a difference between them worth mentioning....

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 06:12:27 pm »

Maybe not. The squadristi have shown what they are without Coulter having to say a thing.

geronl

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 06:13:16 pm »
Ann Coulter is Big Bird

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 06:47:31 pm »
She said the conservative groups sponsoring her remarks withdrew their support on Tuesday, citing security concerns.
So she has no problem going on campus without the campus permission, but she'll chicken out if she doesn't have "conservative groups" supporting her in the shadows?

That, ladies and gents, is chicken.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 07:00:27 pm »
Yes, I'm surprised Coulter chickened out.  I thought she really enjoys confrontation.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 07:01:43 pm »
Ann Coulter is Big Bird

This isn't really about whether or not we like Ann Coulter.  It's about whether or not we are going to let the left's threats of violence, and the powers that be at Berzerkeley, get away with silencing voices they disagree with in violation of the 1st Amendment.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 07:03:31 pm »
Yes, I'm surprised Coulter chickened out.  I thought she really enjoys confrontation.

The Young Americans Foundation which was sponsoring Ann's appearance, backed out because they really didn't want anyone to get hurt.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 07:07:57 pm »
Ann Coulter is Big Bird

She's manipulative charlatan and this "Help help I'm being oppressed" is part of her game. She was happily setting fire to the bridges behind Trump and she can go to hell.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 07:12:56 pm »
She's manipulative charlatan and this "Help help I'm being oppressed" is part of her game. She was happily setting fire to the bridges behind Trump and she can go to hell.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 07:17:24 pm »
This isn't really about whether or not we like Ann Coulter.  It's about whether or not we are going to let the left's threats of violence, and the powers that be at Berzerkeley, get away with silencing voices they disagree with in violation of the 1st Amendment.

Precisely. I would pay to attend events  in public venues, to listen to Conservative speakers. Libertarians, too.

Maybe people like Levin, Coulter and others with Heritage-type organizations, rent the ball stadiums, and give their pitches.

Or they can just bitch about it.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 08:11:36 pm »
"Heckler's Veto." 

Expect to see a lot more of this, now that's it's a proven winner.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

geronl

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 09:41:21 pm »
"Heckler's Veto." 

Trumpers got a lot of practice with that

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 09:46:22 pm »

Most of us are pretty tired of the act. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 08:06:36 am »
So she has no problem going on campus without the campus permission, but she'll chicken out if she doesn't have "conservative groups" supporting her in the shadows?

That, ladies and gents, is chicken.
Sponsoring groups were likely the ones writing the check, the honorarium.

No free lunch.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 08:11:48 am »
I agree. It will, unfortunately, likely take a vicious confrontation or law enforcement ready to rumble with the Left, in order to dispossess the Left of their delusion that this can continue. Either that or it will continue.

Ann's supposed to be an attorney. I'd be looking into who the ringleaders of the threatening group are and looking to have them prosecuted under 42 U.S. Code § 1985 (conspiracy to deprive someone of a civil right) or sue them for losses of speaking fees. She should have standing because she can show a loss of income.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:12:22 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 10:32:17 am »
You haven't seen this in the MSM, but the rally is still on, just without Ann Coulter:

Help Defend Free Speech in Berkeley
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline pjohns

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 06:02:18 pm »
It does seem rather ironic that this all took place at UC-Berkeley: the very home of the free-speech movement (1964-65).

Evidently, however, liberals believe strongly in free speech--just as long as it is limited to themselves, and their fellow liberals.

But that begs the question: Why?

It is really not that difficult to answer.

Progressives (a.k.a. liberals) believe in the natural progression of philosophical thought. Given this assumption, therefore, conservatives are not merely wrong; they are actually illegitimate, as they stand as impediments to this "natural progression."

We conservatives, on the other hand, simply see liberals as being wrong.

I suppose it does make some sort of sense--twisted, though it may be--for liberals to reject the legitimacy of us "impediments" to their posited utopia...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 06:07:05 pm »
It does seem rather ironic that this all took place at UC-Berkeley: the very home of the free-speech movement (1964-65).

Evidently, however, liberals believe strongly in free speech--just as long as it is limited to themselves, and their fellow liberals.

Progressives (a.k.a. liberals) believe in the natural progression of philosophical thought. Given this assumption, therefore, conservatives are not merely wrong; they are actually illegitimate, as they stand as impediments to this "natural progression."

I suppose it does make some sort of sense--twisted, though it may be--for liberals to reject the legitimacy of us "impediments" to their posited utopia...

That does make sense though I suspect that most of them are not very deep thinkers and reject us on a more visceral level.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 06:27:18 pm »
That does make sense though I suspect that most of them are not very deep thinkers and reject us on a more visceral level.

Most can't get deeper than "basket of deplorables."  Those who think they can just call us "evil."
I will NOT comply.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 06:31:35 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Ann's supposed to be an attorney. I'd be looking into who the ringleaders of the threatening group are and looking to have them prosecuted under 42 U.S. Code § 1985 (conspiracy to deprive someone of a civil right) or sue them for losses of speaking fees. She should have standing because she can show a loss of income.

I'm not aware of any Section 1985 claims being brought on something like this, but I think it is something worth pursuing.  There's a decision from the 80's, Scott v. Carpenters (or something like that) which made it difficult to bring these kind of claims that didn't involve state action.  But maybe what needs to happen is for Congress to pass an additional civil rights law permitting prosecutions for private citizens attempting to prevent, through violence, lawful assemblies by others.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:31:53 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 10:46:46 pm »

That problem arises when "Truth" is subjective, as it is for Liberals.
Conservatives believe in absolute and immutable truth, which applies regardless of the trimmings.
That is the mortal enemy of the whole progressive concept.

C S Lewis

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 11:08:41 pm »
That problem arises when "Truth" is subjective, as it is for Liberals.
Conservatives believe in absolute and immutable truth, which applies regardless of the trimmings.
That is the mortal enemy of the whole progressive concept.

Just a thought . . . What if these protestors were wrapped in robes screaming Alah Akbar?

Outside appearances would be different, but beyond that there wouldn't be much difference.  They only believe what they believe and not the Constitution, state law, federal law or the Bill of Rights will get in their way.  What we're witnessing is essentially Sharia Law in different packaging.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 11:36:43 pm »
Just a thought . . . What if these protestors were wrapped in robes screaming Alah Akbar?

Outside appearances would be different, but beyond that there wouldn't be much difference.  They only believe what they believe and not the Constitution, state law, federal law or the Bill of Rights will get in their way.  What we're witnessing is essentially Sharia Law in different packaging.
Yep. Sharia is based not just on the Quran, but how it is interpreted by the Imams and Mullahs. It is what they say it is. The book may be protected by the admonition that any changes are punishable by death, but the interpretation is wide open.

C S Lewis