Author Topic: Space Farming! NASA Develops Inflatable Lunar/Mars Greenhouse To Feed Space Explorers  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Science World Report  by Sam D 4/26/2017

NASA has developed inflatable greenhouses for use in manned missions to the Moon and Mars to help sustain astronauts working in deep space. While the American space agency has already met success with growing plants on the International Space Station (ISS), the Prototype Lunar/Mars Greenhouse has been designed with the goal of making a greenhouse system work on the lunar and Martian surfaces.

According to New York Post, the prototypes are meant to be deployable on demand and will use water found on the Moon/Red Planet to grow crops. The plants will also consume the carbon dioxide produced by astronauts on manned missions. In addition, the greenhouses will play a significant role in water recycling and waste disposal, thereby becoming a bioregenerative life support system.

The Prototype Lunar Greenhouse is being tested by researchers at the University of Arizona, Tucson, to determine what plants, seeds or other materials should be carried along to make the greenhouse system a success on the Moon or Mars. Understanding what to carry to the site and what to gather there will be important for living on extraterrestrial worlds.

“We are mimicking what the plants would have if they were on Earth and make use of these processes for life support,” Dr. Gene Giacomelli from the University of Arizona said, according to NASA. “The entire system of the lunar greenhouse does represent, in a small way, the biological systems that are here on Earth.”

The prototypes are cylindrical structures that measure 18 feet in length and are more than 8 feet in diameter. To protect the plants from space radiation, the greenhouse units would most probably be buried below the surface soil on the Moon or Mars. Therefore, the plants will require specialized lighting.

More:http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/58857/20170426/space-farming-nasa-develops-inflatable-lunar-martian-greenhouses-feed-explorers.htm

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
If they're buried beneath the surface of the moon or Mars, they aren't really greenhouses.  They're just the agricultural sections of the base.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

geronl

It won't be able to grow enough food to actually feed the astronauts but adding fresh veggies/fruits to their diets has to be a good thing. Unless there is too much radiation exposure. If on a space station, the greenhouse has a safe room for the plants to hide in during solar storms, right?? I know this was about the moon and Mars.

You are right, if this is underground they ain't greenhouses, their "hydroponics labs" like on the Enterprise.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:31:37 pm by geronl »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Would seem a tad risky to base life support on such a system
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

It won't be able to grow enough food to actually feed the astronauts but adding fresh veggies/fruits to their diets has to be a good thing. Unless there is too much radiation exposure. If on a space station, the greenhouse has a safe room for the plants to hide in during solar storms, right?? I know this was about the moon and Mars.

You are right, if this is underground they ain't greenhouses, their "hydroponics labs" like on the Enterprise.

Hydroponic is definied by nutrients being delivered to plants via water instead of soil.

A greenhouse is a structure which provides a favorable environment for plants to grow.

These are greenhouses.  They may, or may not, also deploy some amount of hydroponics.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Greenhouse - A structure, room or building made up of glass or plastics (e.g. polyethylene) where temperature, humidity and spectral frequencies are regulated or maintained within a desired range, particularly used for cultivating plants.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Hydroponic is definied by nutrients being delivered to plants via water instead of soil.

Potting soil can be used for the growing media, in hydroponics, with the nutrients being delivered via water. The key is how the plants receive their nutrients, not what they are growing in.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:56:44 pm by Elderberry »

geronl

These are greenhouses.  They may, or may not, also deploy some amount of hydroponics.

I thought greenhouses needed exposure to the sun

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
I thought greenhouses needed exposure to the sun

They do.  Having said that, it's a semantic quibble.  Call the ag sections of your base greenhouses if you want.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!