Author Topic: The wall is out: Latest GOP offer to avoid shutdown excludes money for border wall  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The latest GOP proposal to fund the government excludes money for a border wall or a "deportation force," according to legislative aides familiar with the deal.

According to a senior Democratic aide, the latest offer from the GOP "doesn't include any money for a wall."
The offer follows signals from the Trump administration on Monday that it would not insist the spending bill include money to pay for the wall on the southern border, even though it was the signature campaign promise by President Trump.

Democrats were staunchly opposed to including wall funding and were threatening to block the spending bill, which must pass by an April 28 deadline in order to keep the government fully funded and operating.

GOP lawmakers said earlier Tuesday the deal is likely to include money for border security measures considered more palatable for Democrats, such as technology, border patrol officers and possibly fencing and wall completion in areas where a wall was already approved by Congress.

"It's fencing, it's a wall, where it works, it's people and technology," Sen. John Hoeven, R-N.D., said. "I think you are going to see both in there, as part of a compromise."

But Democrats who have seen the deal said it excluded paying for any part of the wall or border security personnel who would be used to increase deportations.

Read more at: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/the-wall-is-out-the-latest-gop-offer-excludes-money-for-a-border-wall/article/2621243
The Republic is lost.

geronl

They control all branches of government and still they negotiate away anything they promised.

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online libertybele

They control all branches of government and still they negotiate away anything they promised.

Yep...so...not a whole lot of difference from the crap that's been going on for the past decade or so; broken campaign promises and marching to the liberal drum.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

Gee...I can't help but wonder if the same scenario holds true for building the wall as for repealing Bammcare; 'they' never intended to do either.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:50:22 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline NavyCanDo

How did funding for the wall end up in the budget in the first place? Thought Mexico was going to pay for it. Yes the Republicans will get a lot of heat here for removing it, but lets not forget the broken promise that got it there in the first place. That ones on you Trump.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline kevindavis007

How did funding for the wall end up in the budget in the first place? Thought Mexico was going to pay for it. Yes the Republicans will get a lot of heat here for removing it, but lets not forget the broken promise that got it there in the first place. That ones on you Trump.

I thought that Mexico was going to pay for the wall as well..

Offline bolobaby

They can pass anything they want under reconciliation as it relates to this budget/debt limit mess.

Why even negotiate with dems?
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

They are not kings; they operate in a system where the minority has power, including to shut down the government just like Ted Cruz wanted to do.   

Besides, the wall is a waste of money.  Illegal border crossings are way down;  credit Trump's rhetoric for that.   A physical wall is a metaphor only;  stop with your childishness that Trump is "breaking promises".    Let's reduce corporate tax rates and juice this economy into boom times.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
They can pass anything they want under reconciliation as it relates to this budget/debt limit mess.

Because we mock the notion of solidarity.  But without it, we accomplish nothing.  The Dems are forcing us to compromise - with ourselves.

Yet still we refuse to do it. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline endicom

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

That's the question, isn't it?

Offline kevindavis007

They are not kings; they operate in a system where the minority has power, including to shut down the government just like Ted Cruz wanted to do.   

Besides, the wall is a waste of money.  Illegal border crossings are way down;  credit Trump's rhetoric for that.   A physical wall is a metaphor only;  stop with your childishness that Trump is "breaking promises".    Let's reduce corporate tax rates and juice this economy into boom times.

That is correct, I thought that Ted wanted a Government shutdown.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
They are not kings; they operate in a system where the minority has power, including to shut down the government just like Ted Cruz wanted to do...

Little fellow, you have your glasses on backwards again.

geronl

That is correct, I thought that Ted wanted a Government shutdown.

The MSM tried to blame it on Ted Cruz, but there was no there there.

Online corbe

Miracles never cease, I agree with this one sentence @Jazzhead

Besides, the wall is a waste of money.  Illegal border crossings are way down
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline NavyCanDo

:amen:
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline skeeter

Trump is running out of issues to run for re-election on.

Like repealing Obamacare, the GOP needs to follow through on a promise for once or (need it be said?)  ain't no one gonna bother coming out to vote for them in 2018. You can take that to the bank .

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

It's not Trump's fault that the stupid voters are so gullible.  These are the same morons who keep insisting that no new legislation is needed.  "Just enforce the laws already on the books," they said...completely disregarding decades of history...And then they melt the DC phone lines when new legislation is proposed.  What else could Trump do to placate the reality challenged voters except promise them a fantasy?

Sure it's funny to point at them and laugh now, but before the last election they were deadly serious in their belief that the solution to Washington was to burn it all down.

What's the difference between a true conservative patriot and a traitorous back stabbing RINO?  One election.

The problem isn't Washington DC...The problem is the people.

Offline endicom

" Laura Ingraham: One thing I know for sure, Sean, is that we have way too many people on Capitol Hill who are not on the president’s side of this. I’m talking Republicans. So I have no doubt in my mind that Donald Trump wants this wall to be built. Congress has to appropriate the money. I heard over two months ago that GOP leadership, the most senior senators on Capitol Hill, and I heard it from someone who was in the room with them, they were laughing at an idea a wall would ever get built. Out loud laughing. They were recently telling that source of mine, “Don’t worry, it’s not going to happen.”"

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/04/report-senior-gop-senators-capitol-hill-laughed-loud-building-trumps-border-wall-video/

Offline DB

" Laura Ingraham: One thing I know for sure, Sean, is that we have way too many people on Capitol Hill who are not on the president’s side of this. I’m talking Republicans. So I have no doubt in my mind that Donald Trump wants this wall to be built. Congress has to appropriate the money. I heard over two months ago that GOP leadership, the most senior senators on Capitol Hill, and I heard it from someone who was in the room with them, they were laughing at an idea a wall would ever get built. Out loud laughing. They were recently telling that source of mine, “Don’t worry, it’s not going to happen.”"

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/04/report-senior-gop-senators-capitol-hill-laughed-loud-building-trumps-border-wall-video/

What the swamp isn't being drained??? How can that be???

Offline endicom

What the swamp isn't being drained??? How can that be???

Only voters can drain Congress. If this is as Ingraham said then some senators should have to explain themselves.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It's not Trump's fault that the stupid voters are so gullible.  These are the same morons who keep insisting that no new legislation is needed.  "Just enforce the laws already on the books," they said...completely disregarding decades of history...And then they melt the DC phone lines when new legislation is proposed.  What else could Trump do to placate the reality challenged voters except promise them a fantasy?

Sure it's funny to point at them and laugh now, but before the last election they were deadly serious in their belief that the solution to Washington was to burn it all down.

What's the difference between a true conservative patriot and a traitorous back stabbing RINO?  One election.

The problem isn't Washington DC...The problem is the people.

I beg to differ! The PROBLEM is that no one in Congress is working on YOUR behalf! They have only one goal and that is to get re-elected and that's where the stupid voters come in!  BTW: They, both parties,  LOVE their swamp just as it is and NO draining will be allowed if they can help it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

What in the hell is this wall everyone is talking about. Did I miss something?

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
What in the hell is this wall everyone is talking about. Did I miss something?
Here's a mockup of a proposed design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBVcTLz_8Lk
I don't think they have the concept down. Hey maybe if they build it they could use Lincolns?