Author Topic: CT: Fitbit logs wife's steps after husband says she died, police say  (Read 571 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Fitbit logs wife's steps after husband says she died, police say
Published April 25, 2017 Fox News

A dead woman's Fitbit pokes a hole in her husband's odd alibi and may help prove the man killed his wife, Connecticut cops said, as new details in the case emerged over the weekend.

Richard Dabate, 40, faces charges including murder, tampering with evidence and making a false statement in the December 2015 shooting death of 39-year-old Connie Dabate.

Dabate, recently released on bond, maintains his innocence. He's claimed an intruder shot his wife before trying to subdue Dabate. But Dabate said he was able to fight back, ultimately burning the intruder with a torch before alerting investigators as the man escaped.

But detectives found no signs of a struggle or forced entry, and police dogs didn't detect another person's scent. An email Dabate said he sent from his car was actually sent from his home laptop, further causing investigators to question his story.

Continued: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/25/fitbit-logs-wifes-steps-after-husband-says-died-police-say.html

FitBit for the uninitiated, records exercise, your heart rate, etc. I'm vaguely familiar with it so this is an interesting way to catch an alleged culprit. See picture.

Offline Just_Victor

Re: CT: Fitbit logs wife's steps after husband says she died, police say
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 02:58:56 pm »
A fitbit is pretty easy to fool though.  I drove from Houston to San Antonio wearing my fitbit.  My car was a little out of alignment at the time, causing a slight vibration in the steering wheel.  My fitbit registered over 40,000 steps during that drive.

I'm not saying the man isn't guilty, but a fitbit registering steps isn't necessarily proof that someone was walking.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: CT: Fitbit logs wife's steps after husband says she died, police say
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 03:25:22 pm »

Fitbit says "it was the one armed man."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln