Author Topic: A sad story: Our pro-life presidents, and their pro-abortion children  (Read 1069 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
A sad story: Our pro-life presidents, and their pro-abortion children

March 1, 2017 (LifeSiteNews) - George W. Bush was my first political hero. I was in the seventh grade when his first term began, and I was enthralled by the idea of a Christian president who unashamedly supported social conservative policies.

Bush banned funding for embryonic stem cell research, and invited “snowflake babies” who began their lives as frozen embryos to surround him as he vetoed that funding. He reinstated the Mexico City Policy, banning any funding for abortion around the world. When he signed the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003, he noted, “When we look to the unborn child, the real issue is not when life begins, but when love begins.” Later, in his memoir Decision Points, Bush vividly recounted how his mom had shown him the body of his miscarried sibling, and the impact this experience had on his pro-life position.

But for some reason, pro-life Republican presidents seem to have very pro-abortion family members. Nancy Reagan, who asked George W. Bush in a personal letter to fund embryonic stem cell research and attempted to temper the influence of pro-life leaders in her husband’s administration once snapped, “I don’t give a damn about the right-to-lifers,” demanding that explicit language on abortion be removed from a State of the Union Address. This from the wife of a man who wrote the book Abortion and the Conscience of a Nation and delivered several powerful radio addresses on abortion. With the sole exception of adopted son Michael, the Reagan children are all very pro-abortion. The values were not passed on.

Continued: https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/why-do-pro-life-presidents-have-such-pro-abortion-children

Embryonic stem cell research is a tricky issue no matter who it confronts and was in the Presidential debates a year ago.  I'm not sure if it would be a deal-breaker if a president okayed this research because I don't know enough about it but President George W. Bush certainly would certainly not be criticized by me over this.

Offline Joe Wooten

In over 20 years of trying embryonic stem cell research has not done anything useful, and some of the treatments tried actually made the diseases worse or caused highly malignant cancers.