Author Topic: iHeartRadio parent warns it may not survive another year  (Read 2007 times)

Offline endicom

iHeartRadio parent warns it may not survive another year
« on: April 23, 2017, 03:21:49 am »
Market Watch
Ciara Linnane
Apr. 22, 2017

iHeartMedia Inc., the biggest operator of radio stations in the U.S. and headed by Bob Pittman of MTV fame, plans to include language in its next quarterly report warning investors that it may not survive another year.

The company IHRT, -4.84%  , which owns iHeartRadio and billboard advertising company Clear Channel Outdoor Holdings CCO, -0.85% said it continues to expect cash flow to be negative and is uncertain as to whether it will be able to refinance or extend the maturities of some of its borrowings, according to a regulatory filing.

The company has almost $350 million of debt coming due this year, part of a massive $20 billion debt load it took on as part of a $24 billion leveraged buyout of then Clear Channel Communications Inc. by private-equity firms Bain Capital and Thomas H. Lee Partners in 2008. It has another $8.3 billion of debt coming due in 2019.

More... http://www.marketwatch.com/story/iheartradio-parent-warns-it-may-not-survive-another-year-2017-04-21-121035436

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: iHeartRadio parent warns it may not survive another year
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 09:49:06 pm »
For those unaware, this is also the company that carries Rush, Hannity and Glenn Beck.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 09:51:53 pm »
This is terrible news. I listen to Real Oldies on Iheart all the time....

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 09:58:28 pm »
There was an article online  in the last few weeks saying Clear Channel was behind paying vendors and employees were slow in getting paid.

People are now going online for their news and information or buying Sirius etc

Radio is another form of brick and mortar going bye bye

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 10:15:30 pm »
For those unaware, this is also the company that carries Rush, Hannity and Glenn Beck.

Yeah, that's why I posted this. If iHeart goes under then I guess the assets will be sold off to someone. Maybe Rush will be owned by the Russians and Hannity the PRC. ;-)

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 10:27:24 pm »
I was never a fan of Clear Channel.   So me no care if it is chopped up and sold off piece meal by the Bankruptcy judge. 

What say my other DJ or radio brothers think?

@txradioguy
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:29:11 pm by Wingnut »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 02:31:22 am »
I listen to all of two stations the short time I am in the car, one is Unforgettable L.A. which plays old standards from the likes of Sinatra, Martin, Como, Etc. and the local Classical station. I'm a boring old fart! So I really don't care, at home I listen to Pandora which plays a mix that I set. I only wonder who they will sell the stations to if they fail since the usual market that buys up stations, Hispanics, may not be growing for a while. :pondering:

geronl

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 06:00:44 am »
They spent $20 billion on a radio and billboards company?

They must be insane.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 01:54:35 pm »
Iheartradio is something I have used from time to time, seems like a no brainer to make money from it. Radio stations should be fighting to get their airplay over the internet, as a lot of listening is moving in that direction.

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 02:00:51 pm »

Yeah, that's why I posted this. If iHeart goes under then I guess the assets will be sold off to someone. Maybe Rush will be owned by the Russians and Hannity the PRC. ;-)

iHeart doesn't own Rush, Hannity & Beck. The local stations owned by iHeart often carry those broadcasts, but not exclusively.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 02:20:55 pm »
People are now going online for their news and information or buying Sirius etc

Radio is another form of brick and mortar going bye bye
Not all of us. I'm sitting at work right now listening to a local radio station. When I get in the car I'll turn on the radio (local stations). I don't listen to music online and I don't have a smartphone on which to download iTunes or any of that sort of thing.

Maybe I'm the one "going bye bye" along with brick and mortar.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline endicom

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 02:30:03 pm »
iHeart doesn't own Rush, Hannity & Beck. The local stations owned by iHeart often carry those broadcasts, but not exclusively.

Yeah, I know. But iHeart is much like their ISP. Except that losing your ISP means that you pretty easily sign up with another while finding a new radio carrier, if necessary, is anything but easy.

Maybe this will be a big deal or maybe it won't but it should be interesting.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 06:10:35 pm »
I was never a fan of Clear Channel.   So me no care if it is chopped up and sold off piece meal by the Bankruptcy judge. 

What say my other DJ or radio brothers think?

@txradioguy

@Wingnut

Clear Channel (a.k.a. The Borg) and Cumulus going away wouldn't break many radio DJ's hearts...including mine.  The completely ruined an leverage small market DJ's ability to move to another station in town and get better money.  They had people in Austin trying to Program music for Midland.

Real radio...real GOOD radio doesn't work like that.  Clear Channel and others never understood live and local.  They thought they knew better...now it looks like they are going to pay the price for it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 06:10:59 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 06:12:51 pm »
@Wingnut

Clear Channel (a.k.a. The Borg) and Cumulus going away wouldn't break many radio DJ's hearts...including mine.  The completely ruined an leverage small market DJ's ability to move to another station in town and get better money.  They had people in Austin trying to Program music for Midland.

Real radio...real GOOD radio doesn't work like that.  Clear Channel and others never understood live and local.  They thought they knew better...now it looks like they are going to pay the price for it.

Thanks! 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 06:13:49 pm »

Rush and Sean's syndication deal is through Premiere Radio which IS owned by Clear Channel.  So if they go into bankruptcy it might have some effect.

Levin is Cumulus and they are having troubles of their own as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

geronl

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 06:16:35 pm »
They have an online app, not that it's doing them much good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 06:40:30 pm »

Nope it's not.  Earlier this year IIRC they made most of what used to cost you money free to anyone who downloaded it.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 06:46:17 pm »

Rush used to say that content is king, I actually do agree with him on that.

Most CC is a bunch of repetitive garbage, whether it's the conservative AM screamers, or vapid pop stations.

Maybe if they put something that people wanted to listen to on the air...  :shrug:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 12:13:13 am »
Iheartradio is something I have used from time to time, seems like a no brainer to make money from it. Radio stations should be fighting to get their airplay over the internet, as a lot of listening is moving in that direction.
They probably are.

The problem iHeart faces is that those AM and FM radio stations they own, their predecessor (Clear Channel) paid WAY (and I mean WAY) too much money for them and it turned out, as the value of radio licenses declined, they couldn't sell off stations fast enough, or make enough money from those licenses, to cover their loans.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024