Author Topic: Survey: 1 In 5 Adults In The UK Can’t Change A Lightbulb, Boil An Egg  (Read 2793 times)

Wingnut

Re: Survey: 1 In 5 Adults In The UK Can’t Change A Lightbulb, Boil An Egg
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 03:58:50 pm »
Was told it is $89 to change the cabin Air Filter on my Subie.     The hell you say? 

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 04:02:41 pm »
Was told it is $89 to change the cabin Air Filter on my Subie.     The hell you say?

I bet there is Youtube video of how to do it. There was one for my car and also how to change the front headlight bulb.

My old car you just drop the glove compartment door and pull out 2 clips. The filter was nasty btw

@Wingnut

Wingnut

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 04:11:47 pm »
I bet there is Youtube video of how to do it. There was one for my car and also how to change the front headlight bulb.

My old car you just drop the glove compartment door and pull out 2 clips. The filter was nasty btw

@Wingnut

Yep.   And It's easy.  Press two tabs and remove the glove box and the filter box sits right their.  Buy the filter for 14 bucks at Auto Zone.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 04:31:02 pm »
Yep.   And It's easy.  Press two tabs and remove the glove box and the filter box sits right their.  Buy the filter for 14 bucks at Auto Zone.

Was your filter really dirty? Mine was nasty but we drive on many dirt roads in our area but your roads may be different. I know the AC really was cooler and blowing more air after the filter was changed.
@Wingnut

Wingnut

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 04:37:29 pm »
@mirraflake

T'was nasty.  I blew it out twice before I replaced it the 1st time.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2017, 04:48:02 pm »
Too be honest changing  a tire today is a major hassle on many cars and way to over complicated

On my wifes Camaro you have to remove 4 different trunk panels, the jack is bolted in and you have to use the supplied wrench to unbolt it from the trunk floor.put together the jack, there is only one spot on the frame you can use the jack and the tire iron is about 10 inches long and I am 6-2 and cannot get leverage to break the lugs free.

On my new car to change a headlight bulb you have to remove the entire front bumper and rubber facsia and grill. I did it. There was 38 screws I had to remove.
Yep, it's pretty screwy. As for the jack thing, I just put a small floor jack in each vehicle. You can get one for under 50 bucks at wal mart and there are lighter aluminum ones that will get the job done. When I'm on the road I carry my DeWalt impact wrench and sockets, and that makes short work of a tire change. The floor jacks are fairly cheap, and can be had for under 50 bucks, but can be hard to use in mud. The Dewalt is expensive by comparison, about $350 for the 1/2 inch drive with the extra battery (you might be able to find it cheaper) , and the impact sockets are extra, but I have gotten spoiled and won't leave home without it. In a pinch, a 4-way lug wrench will get the job done, too.

But the days of using my old hi-lift jack on a car are done, and most of the new pickups I have seen that all have plastic front ends. https://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Winches-Jeep-Winch-Accessories/Hi-Lift-Jack-48-Inch-Cast-Steel-Jack-HL-484.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=190&t_pt=8394&t_pn=H%2FLHL-484&gclid=CKfnvu-Au9MCFY6cfgodIT8JNQ

That may all seem extreme, but with some of the wind chills I have seen here, the less time you have to spend out in the weather to get the job done, the better.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2017, 05:01:53 pm »
Yep, it's pretty screwy. As for the jack thing, I just put a small floor jack in each vehicle. You can get one for under 50 bucks at wal mart and there are lighter aluminum ones that will get the job done. When I'm on the road I carry my DeWalt impact wrench and sockets, and that makes short work of a tire change. The floor jacks are fairly cheap, and can be had for under 50 bucks, but can be hard to use in mud. The Dewalt is expensive by comparison, about $350 for the 1/2 inch drive with the extra battery (you might be able to find it cheaper)

That may all seem extreme, but with some of the wind chills I have seen here, the less time you have to spend out in the weather to get the job done, the better.

I have a 4 way I carry in each vehicle.Picked up used ones at swap meets for 1.00 each.

My wife goes to horse shows all summer either by herself or one of her friends and I bought her one of those triangular ramps you drive up on which leaves one trailer tire up on the air.

Going to buy her the cordless impact though for her birthday coming up.I was wondering to what to get her for Christmas and never thought about the impact even though I see them on TV Thanks for the idea.

@Smokin Joe

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2017, 05:10:53 pm »
I have a 4 way I carry in each vehicle.Picked up used ones at swap meets for 1.00 each.

My wife goes to horse shows all summer either by herself or one of her friends and I bought her one of those triangular ramps you drive up on which leaves one trailer tire up on the air.

Going to buy her the cordless impact though for her birthday coming up.I was wondering to what to get her for Christmas and never thought about the impact even though I see them on TV Thanks for the idea.

@Smokin Joe
You're welcome. They spoil you, quick. I was a really good hand with a 4-way, but the impact is a lot quicker and easier on the back.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2017, 05:24:43 pm »
The new LED's are better than the old incadescent. They are available in multiple shades, soft white, bright light, natural, sunny...and they last forever.

They use about the 10th of power of the old bulbs and if you change them all over you will see u electric bill go down.

@Hondo69
They're also a lot dimmer.  When I turn on the outside lights, I have to stick my head out the front door to make sure they're on.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2017, 05:28:50 pm »
They're also a lot dimmer.  When I turn on the outside lights, I have to stick my head out the front door to make sure they're on.

Lowes carry 6 different shade from soft white to natural sunlight which is super bright.. You most likely have the soft white or lighter intensity ones.

@goatprairie

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2017, 05:48:32 pm »

That's understandable but you're not fighting anything but your bank account. You're not hurting the bad guys at all.

Years ago, people like Limbaugh spoke often of buying SUVs or trucks that got the worst gas mileage as somehow being an act of resistance. Did people who listened to that really believe they were hurting the control freaks? Did they really believe they were pissing off liberals and ruining their day?

You're 100% correct.  But I feel better.

Sometimes little victories can be pretty awesome.  I was fixing some decking this morning and over-engineered the thing.  Just wanted it to last 30 years instead of 5.  No one will every know but me and that suits me just fine.  And I feel better.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 05:49:17 pm by Hondo69 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2017, 08:41:09 pm »
The new LED's are better than the old incadescent. They are available in multiple shades, soft white, bright light, natural, sunny...and they last forever.

They use about the 10th of power of the old bulbs and if you change them all over you will see u electric bill go down.

@Hondo69
They came out 50 years too late to save me from being the lab rat for my sister's easy bake oven...

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2017, 08:48:59 pm »
They came out 50 years too late to save me from being the lab rat for my sister's easy bake oven...

The originals came with two 100 watters when the gubmit outlawed the dreaded Edison bulb they had to fit the new models with Halogens.  Never worked as good. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2017, 09:11:55 pm »
The originals came with two 100 watters when the gubmit outlawed the dreaded Edison bulb they had to fit the new models with Halogens.  Never worked as good.
"Good" is a subjective term....

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2017, 09:17:13 pm »
"Good" is a subjective term....

They never write good about my posts.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2017, 09:39:31 pm »
They never write good about my posts.
"They" who? I get a kick out of most of them.

I was referring to the 'Easy Bake' stuff countless dads and older brothers ate being nice to daughters and little sisters.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 09:41:41 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2017, 09:42:43 pm »
"They" who? I get a kick out of most of them.

lol   Thanks Mang!

I was going for this...with my post:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-new-york-times-226546

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2017, 09:49:37 pm »
lol   Thanks Mang!

I was going for this...with my post:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-new-york-times-226546
Oh, man, that's great!  :silly:

C S Lewis

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2017, 09:54:16 pm »
A few years I would have predicted this would start to trend the other direction, with things like Pintrest and YouTube people seemed to be starting to swing back towards the do-it-yourself attitude. It seems people like to share these things more than they roll up their sleeves and do them.

Not counting the eggs and lightbulbs of course, but it seems in many cases, companies are making it more difficult to do things your self. I've always been one of those to learn to do it myself if I didn't know, but I learned a few months ago even to change the oil in my Volvo, I needed to purchase some specialty tools, your typical socket wrench set won't cut it. And this is for a car that prides itself on Ikea level simplicity.

My neighbor with one of the new Jaguar F-Pace SUVs has to take it to an authorized Jaguar dealer 150 miles away whenever she needs one, a regular oil-change place can't do it.

It is pretty sad but it easier to work on a 40 year old million dollar Ferrari in one's own garage than it is a brand new economy car.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2017, 09:58:09 pm »
In this country plenty of people can't read our founding documents.
And they can't read Morse code, either. Why? Because it's obsolete and out of use.

You don't hear Catholics complaining about how no one can read the Latin Vulgate, do you?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Wingnut

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2017, 10:12:58 pm »
And they can't read Morse code, either. Why? Because it's obsolete and out of use.

You don't hear Catholics complaining about how no one can read the Latin Vulgate, do you?

I jump at the chance to go to Mass when it is done in Latin.  Few and far between these days.  Any more ...I just try to find a church where the Priests 1st language was English......

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2017, 10:28:16 pm »
I jump at the chance to go to Mass when it is done in Latin.  Few and far between these days.  Any more ...I just try to find a church where the Priests 1st language was English......

Latin should be taught because its the language of science and medicine as well as being important to understanding the tenets of Catholic faith.

I tell people that people who can't read cursive aren't allowed to vote as an object lesson on what can happen if they can't read the founding documents.

More code doesn't carry the same significance as either but it certainly wouldn't hurt to know.