Author Topic: Survey: 1 In 5 Adults In The UK Can’t Change A Lightbulb, Boil An Egg  (Read 2792 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
LONDON — Are you handy enough that if a lightbulb went out in your home you’d be able to change it? Believe it or not, one in five people aren’t so skilled. In fact, a new survey of people in the United Kingdom finds not only do about 20 percent of people not know how to change a bulb — the same number aren’t sure how to boil an egg, either.

The British insurance company Aviva recently released their annual Home Report which detailed, among numerous findings about how people do work around the house, relatively common tasks that people encounter. The company surveyed 2004 people across the UK in February and March about their habits and roles at home.

A stunning new survey from the United Kingdom found that one in five people did not know how to change a lightbulb or boil an egg.

In addition to just one in five not being able to change a lightbulb or boil an egg, the survey found that nearly a third of the participants couldn’t cook any meal on the fly. And if someone were to spill a portion of their meal on their clothes or on the floor, only 59 percent would know how to get rid of the resulting stain.

Only 37 percent could change a flat tire.

The findings were even surprising to the folks behind the study.

“As a nation we tend to take pride in our ability to do things ourselves in and around the home, so it’s a surprise to see there could be a skills gap in places,” says Aviva Propositions Director Adam Beckett in a press release. “That said, we also know that people lead busy lives, so while we enjoy doing things ourselves, we also appreciate the opportunity to leave things to a professional from time to time, particularly with some of the more challenging jobs.”

Interestingly, while 50 percent of those surveyed said they learned how to do a home task on their by trial and error, plenty of people are turning to the internet for help, especially millennials. The study found four in 10 people aged 25 and under prefer learning do-it-yourself chores online. That’s more than twice the number in the age group who turn to an actual book for help.

More: https://www.studyfinds.org/change-lightbulb-household-chores-study/

22222frying pan

This is why I dislike people.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:30:58 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online andy58-in-nh

The truth is that nearly any person can do any of those things. Why some have not learned to do so, or will not, is a question that begs for a discomfiting answer.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:00:09 am by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
In this country plenty of people can't read our founding documents.

Offline corbe

This survey could well have taken place in America.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
My brother in law hires workmen to hang pictures. I pretty sure that he does not know what a hammer or a nail is.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline goodwithagun

In this country plenty of people can't read our founding documents.

Common Core eliminated cursive handwriting from the curriculum. Think about that.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline endicom

LONDON — Are you handy enough that if a lightbulb went out in your home you’d be able to change it? Believe it or not, one in five people aren’t so skilled. In fact, a new survey of people in the United Kingdom finds not only do about 20 percent of people not know how to change a bulb — the same number aren’t sure how to boil an egg, either.

The British insurance company Aviva recently released their annual Home Report which detailed, among numerous findings about how people do work around the house, relatively common tasks that people encounter. The company surveyed 2004 people across the UK in February and March about their habits and roles at home.

A stunning new survey from the United Kingdom found that one in five people did not know how to change a lightbulb or boil an egg.

In addition to just one in five not being able to change a lightbulb or boil an egg, the survey found that nearly a third of the participants couldn’t cook any meal on the fly. And if someone were to spill a portion of their meal on their clothes or on the floor, only 59 percent would know how to get rid of the resulting stain.

Only 37 percent could change a flat tire.

The findings were even surprising to the folks behind the study.

“As a nation we tend to take pride in our ability to do things ourselves in and around the home, so it’s a surprise to see there could be a skills gap in places,” says Aviva Propositions Director Adam Beckett in a press release. “That said, we also know that people lead busy lives, so while we enjoy doing things ourselves, we also appreciate the opportunity to leave things to a professional from time to time, particularly with some of the more challenging jobs.”

Interestingly, while 50 percent of those surveyed said they learned how to do a home task on their by trial and error, plenty of people are turning to the internet for help, especially millennials. The study found four in 10 people aged 25 and under prefer learning do-it-yourself chores online. That’s more than twice the number in the age group who turn to an actual book for help.

More: https://www.studyfinds.org/change-lightbulb-household-chores-study/

22222frying pan

This is why I dislike people.

So, what is the right way to boil an egg?

Offline berdie

[/quote]

man..ya know that is just ole school

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Geez, even I know how to change a light bulb.

You drive to Mexico and buy an incandescent bulb, drive back to the U.S. and screw in the new bulb.

Offline corbe

You drive to Mexico and buy an incandescent bulb, drive back to the U.S. and screw in the new bulb.

In Central Texas, we just call the Mexican and he delivers and installs for a small surcharge, we are still talking about light bulbs, right?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: Survey: 1 In 5 Adults In The UK Can’t Change A Lightbulb, Boil An Egg
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 03:12:27 am »
This announcement is brought to you by Jack, the makers of Diddley, America's favourite squat. Who
remind you that four out of five surveys have been doctored.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 03:37:34 am »

@endicom
For me, there is none. I hate hard and soft-boiled eggs. (And as far as I'm concerned, egg salad is good
for only one thing---tile grout.) I prefer soft-scrambled. And it only begins with breaking five or six eggs,
putting them in the small bowl of my . . .

. . . and whipping the living you-know-what out of them, before pouring into a buttered skillet
and scrambling until the last trace of liquid just solidifies.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 05:11:48 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 05:07:53 am »

I'll save on gas.

I stocked up on hospitality industry grade incandescent bulbs. We're still using them. and will be for a while.

In summer, we have 16 hours of daylight at the peak, in winter, 16 hours of dark and plenty of cold. There is no 'waste heat'--it's welcome.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 05:51:30 am »
I would bet the number is higher among American college students.

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 09:07:12 am »
   In Central Texas, we just call the Mexican and he delivers and installs for a small surcharge, we are still talking about light bulbs, right?

Yes, we're still talking about light bulbs.  But I've found it difficult to say "incandescent bulb" in Spanish, especially in a border town tavern when the music is loud.  Maybe I'm shopping in the wrong stores.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 10:08:05 am »
Yes, we're still talking about light bulbs.  But I've found it difficult to say "incandescent bulb" in Spanish, especially in a border town tavern when the music is loud.  Maybe I'm shopping in the wrong stores.

I'm switching over to LED lights.

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 03:10:51 pm »
I'm switching over to LED lights.

I'd actually be happy to switch over to LED lights myself, except for one thing.  When they put a gun to my head and force me to do something I tend fight back.

Resist!!

Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 03:16:35 pm »

1st, you lay an egg.  Or lay the Chicken?    It is the age old question.  Who is on 1st?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:18:08 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 03:20:51 pm »
I'd actually be happy to switch over to LED lights myself, except for one thing.  When they put a gun to my head and force me to do something I tend fight back.

Resist!!

Nobody forced me to use LED bulbs and I might actually forget how to change them before I need to again.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 03:32:49 pm »

Resist!!

The new LED's are better than the old incadescent. They are available in multiple shades, soft white, bright light, natural, sunny...and they last forever.

They use about the 10th of power of the old bulbs and if you change them all over you will see u electric bill go down.

@Hondo69

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 03:39:33 pm »
Too be honest changing  a tire today is a major hassle on many cars and way to over complicated

On my wifes Camaro you have to remove 4 different trunk panels, the jack is bolted in and you have to use the supplied wrench to unbolt it from the trunk floor.put together the jack, there is only one spot on the frame you can use the jack and the tire iron is about 10 inches long and I am 6-2 and cannot get leverage to break the lugs free.

On my new car to change a headlight bulb you have to remove the entire front bumper and rubber facsia and grill. I did it. There was 38 screws I had to remove.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:42:34 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 03:45:45 pm »
The new LED's are better than the old incadescent. They are available in multiple shades, soft white, bright light, natural, sunny...and they last forever.

They use about the 10th of power of the old bulbs and if you change them all over you will see u electric bill go down.

@Hondo69

We all choose how to spend our money (mostly).  I choose to spend more on electricity for the old bulbs.  It's a bit more complicated than that but when I move out of Austin I might switch over, if I choose.

Ethanol is a little less complicated so that makes for a better example.  If I lived in Iowa I might choose to run ethanol in my car but use straight gas for my lawnmower.  Ethanol tends to tear up small engines.

But because I live in Texas I would not put ethanol in my car (if they gave me a choice, they don't).  The reason being I'm not a big fan of pollution.  Ethanol cannot ship through pipelines so it must be trucked to Texas.  This adds significantly to ethanol's pollution factor.

It's all about being an informed consumer and making the choice that suits you best.

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 03:48:08 pm »
Too be honest changing  a tire today is a major hassle on many cars and way to over complicated

On my wifes Camaro you have to remove 4 different trunk panels, the jack is bolted in and you have to use the supplied wrench to unbolt it from the trunk floor.put together the jack, there is only one spot on the frame you can use the jack and the tire iron is about 10 inches long and I am 6-2 and cannot get leverage to break the lugs free.

On my new car to change a headlight bulb you have to remove the entire front bumper and rubber facsia and grill. I did it. There was 38 screws I had to remove.

It's become a running joke with new cars, they ought to give them to you free because they are designed to soak you to the gills for even the smallest repair.  Makes the dealers real happy.

Offline endicom

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 03:54:13 pm »

Resist!!

That's understandable but you're not fighting anything but your bank account. You're not hurting the bad guys at all.

Years ago, people like Limbaugh spoke often of buying SUVs or trucks that got the worst gas mileage as somehow being an act of resistance. Did people who listened to that really believe they were hurting the control freaks? Did they really believe they were pissing off liberals and ruining their day?

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 03:57:53 pm »
We have a light by the door of our horse barn that is light activated and came on at night. The old incadesecent bulb would last 6-7 months or so. The led bulb has been in there over 4 years.