Author Topic: Trump Awards Purple Heart at Walter Reed Military Hospital  (Read 797 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump Awards Purple Heart at Walter Reed Military Hospital
US News and World Report, Apr 22, 2017, DARLENE SUPERVILLE, Associated Press

BETHESDA, Md. (AP) — President Donald Trump on Saturday awarded a Purple Heart to an Army sergeant recently wounded in Afghanistan, the first of many Trump likely will award during his service as commander in chief of the U.S. military.

"When I heard about this ... I wanted to do it myself," Trump said during a brief ceremony at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, outside Washington. The medal went to Sgt. 1st Class Alvaro Barrientos, who was wounded March 17 in Afghanistan during what is now America's longest war. The White House did not release Barrientos' hometown.

It was Trump's first visit as president to the military hospital. His wife, first lady Melania Trump, joined him.

Barrientos, whose right leg below the knee had been amputated, was brought into a hospital atrium in a wheelchair, accompanied by his wife, Tammy.

Trump kissed Barrientos' wife before pinning the medal on the sergeant's left shirt collar, grasping Barrientos by the shoulders and then shaking his hand. The Purple Heart is awarded to service members who are wounded or killed in action.

Besides Barrientos, Trump was expected to meet privately with about a dozen service members who are receiving care at the medical center.

Before leaving the White House, the president tweeted that he looked forward to "seeing our bravest and greatest Americans."

More: https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2017-04-22/trump-visiting-walter-reed-military-hospital

Re: Trump Awards Purple Heart at Walter Reed Military Hospital
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 08:29:41 pm »

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 08:31:34 pm »
Melania Trump‏Verified account @FLOTUS 4m4 minutes ago
.@Potus and I visited brave men at Walter Reed Medical Center today. Thank you for your service!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 09:05:36 pm »
Good for Donny. BTW. Melania looks hot.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 04:37:36 am »
One complaint I don't have about him. He takes his duty to the services seriously. Makes a pleasant change from the Worm.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 04:42:40 am »
One complaint I don't have about him. He takes his duty to the services seriously. Makes a pleasant change from the Worm.
I agree. This is good.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis