Author Topic: DOJ warns 8 cities in sanctuary city crackdown  (Read 690 times)

Offline corbe

DOJ warns 8 cities in sanctuary city crackdown
« on: April 22, 2017, 04:43:25 am »

DOJ warns 8 cities in sanctuary city crackdown

By Ted Hesson 
  | 04/21/17 03:50 PM EDT


The Justice Department on Friday sent letters to eight cities, threatening to withhold federal grant money if they don’t demonstrate cooperation with immigration enforcement.

President Donald Trump has promised to force “sanctuary cities” to follow the federal government’s lead on enforcement of immigration laws. Hundreds of jurisdictions across the U.S. limit to varying degrees their cooperation with federal authorities.

The letters were sent to New York City, Chicago, Miami, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Las Vegas, Milwaukee and Sacramento, as well as Cook County, Illinois. DOJ asked these local governments to provide documentation that they're complying with a federal law that requires information-sharing by local, state and federal authorities on citizenship and immigration status.

If the nine jurisdictions don’t present documentation of compliance by June 30, DOJ said it may withhold or terminate funds under the Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant program, which funds state and local criminal justice programs.

The localities may find it relatively easy to comply with the information-sharing requirement, which was also flagged in a Trump executive order that dealt with sanctuary jurisdictions. David Leopold, a Cleveland-based immigration lawyer and former president of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, called it “a very narrow provision” of immigration law.

The letters don’t address the most contentious sanctuary policy: the practice of some cities to ignore requests by the federal government to hold suspected undocumented immigrants for 48 hours beyond their release time.

<..snip..>

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/21/sanctuary-city-immigration-crackdown-grant-money-237467

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Re: DOJ warns 8 cities in sanctuary city crackdown
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 12:23:27 pm »
Why warn them?

Didn't Trump just tell us forecasting your plans only aids and abets your enemies?

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 02:29:22 am »
Why warn them?

Didn't Trump just tell us forecasting your plans only aids and abets your enemies?

I wonder if the law AG Sessions is quoting has provisions that the offending governments have to be warned before any action is taken?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 03:08:36 am »
I imagine they need to be given a chance to comply. Even if not I have no problem with setting up the showdown. Hope DOJ os ready for the lawsuits.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 08:51:28 am »
I hate to even think about the legal wrangling to ensue since these things often go to a federal judge fairly quickly.  And just in case no one has noticed Obama packed the federal courts with Obamatrupperz.

Maybe Ruth Bader Ginsberg will decide to go hunting in west Texas and the supreme court will be rejiggered soon.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 01:23:46 am »
Prediction (and you heard it here first):

Simply cutting off funding for these cities (and a few states) isn't going to produce the desired effect, which is compliance with the laws.

It's going to take the arrest and prosecution of a few high-profile persons in positions of leftist power to elicit compliance.

Only then will we begin to see the others knuckle under and comply.