Author Topic: House Republicans under pressure by Trump to deliver compromise bill for Obamacare repeal  (Read 1325 times)

Offline corbe

House Republicans under pressure by Trump to deliver compromise bill for Obamacare repeal

Allows states to roll back Obamacare rules if they choose

By Tom Howell Jr. - The Washington Times - Thursday, April 20, 2017

Under pressure to deliver a win for President Trump, House Republicans are working on a new Obamacare repeal compromise that could bridge the divide between hard-line conservatives and centrists who tanked the first attempt.

The proposal by Rep. Thomas MacArthur, New Jersey Republican, would shift to the states the burden of deciding what services insurers must cover and would let insurers charge healthy customers less, so long as states set up risk pools to subsidize sicker people priced out of the market.

No state could waive the part of the Affordable Care Act requiring insurers to cover people with pre-existing medical conditions, however, preserving the most popular part of the 2010 Affordable Care Act.

“This amendment will make coverage of pre-existing conditions sacrosanct for all Americans and ensures essential health benefits remains the federal standard,” Mr. MacArthur, chairman of the moderate Tuesday Group, said on his Facebook page Thursday after Politico published a one-page description of his plan.

It’s unclear whether the proposal can win over enough holdouts to pass. Republicans’ first go-around last month ended in a mess after leaders were unable to muster the votes and had to yank the bill.

A Republican aide said lawmakers don’t even have legislative text of the proposal so they don’t know whether it can bridge the gap.

Yet President Trump was bullish about their progress, saying House Republicans could revive their plan and hold a vote either next week or shortly thereafter.

“The plan gets better and better and better, and it’s gotten really good,” Mr. Trump said at a joint press conference with Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni.

House Republicans are under immense pressure from the White House to deliver an Obamacare repeal, a campaign vow that hasn’t been fulfilled as Mr. Trump nears 100 days on the job.

Failing a second time would be a gut punch for the party as it tries prove it can wield all the levers of political power successfully. After health care, Mr. Trump wants to tackle tax reform and a $1 trillion infrastructure plan.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan, Wisconsin Republican, signaled on Wednesday that negotiators were putting the finishing touches on a plan to bridge rifts within the party over health care, although lawmakers also must focus on a stopgap spending bill to keep the government funded when it returns from its two-week break.

“I want to get both,” Mr. Trump said. “I think we’ll get both.”

Under the MacArthur plan, states could ask Health and Human Services Secretary Thomas Price to waive Obamacare’s “essential health benefits” package, which requires insurers to cover a slate of services such as mental health and maternity care.

They also could scrap community rating, in which insurers are required to charge the same prices to everyone in a given area. Insurers wouldn’t be allowed to discriminate based on gender or age, though older people still could be charged up to five times more than young people.

States could allow insurers to charge sicker consumers more than healthy ones, so long as they set up a “high risk pool” to absorb some of their costs.

That could win over hard-line House Freedom Caucus members, though it may scare off centrists who don’t want to tweak the guarantees of Obamacare.

While sicker customers could still get covered, they might face high premiums, health care analysts said.

The analysts said legislative details will be crucial, including who would be in the high-risk pool and how much they would have to pay to get covered.

“Maybe this is enough to convince the Freedom Caucus people that states can do what they want to do, but I don’t see this as being very popular,” said Timothy Jost, a law professor at Washington and Lee University in Virginia who closely tracks the debate. “It would make coverage unaffordable for many older consumers and would segregate high-cost consumers in coverage that would likely be inadequate unless the high-risk pools were very generously funded.”

Democrats accused Republicans of making a bad bill worse.

“To make the bill more palatable to right-wingers, the big change appears to be the abandonment of the protections for people with pre-existing conditions. Yet another Trump promise shattered,” said Sen. Christopher Murphy, Connecticut Democrat. “The Republican health care repeal bill was an unworkable, unpopular piece of garbage a month ago, and it still is today.”

<..snip..>

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/20/house-gop-compromise-health-care-reform-emerges-th/?utm_content=social&utm_medium=@federalists_usa&utm_source=thenewamericana.com&utm_campaign=thefederalistparty.org
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Failing a second time would be a gut punch for the party as it tries prove it can wield all the levers of political power successfully. After health care, Mr. Trump wants to tackle tax reform and a $1 trillion infrastructure plan.

Let's hope this time Ryan actually listened to the HFC's concerns (and did something about them), instead of just telling them to take it or leave it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Let's hope this time Ryan actually listened to the HFC's concerns (and did something about them), instead of just telling them to take it or leave it.

Ryan: Half of the Barnum and Baily Clown Team that cursed us with Bammy's 2nd 4 years.

Yeah, sure, he'll get on board with the plan THIS time.

BOHICA
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

geronl

No state could waive the part of the Affordable Care Act requiring insurers to cover people with pre-existing medical conditions, however, preserving the most popular part of the 2010 Affordable Care Act.

In other words, ObamaCare is here to stay, forever.

geronl

Look Bub, I put new tires on this lemon and a new coat of paint, just buy it already!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Ryan: Half of the Barnum and Baily Clown Team that cursed us with Bammy's 2nd 4 years.

Yeah, sure, he'll get on board with the plan THIS time.

BOHICA

If I were forced to make book on it, I'd be forced to agree with your overall assessment.  BOHICA.

Ryan's being every bit the Speaker I always expected he'd be.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
If I were forced to make book on it, I'd be forced to agree with your overall assessment.  BOHICA.

Ryan's being every bit the Speaker I always expected he'd be.

I never expected much from Boehner's chief butt boy.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 09:05:45 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

Oh well.  Another promise broken.  Why did we expect, when Trump and the Republicans promised repeal,  they really meant "repeal?"

And the party wonders why people are leaving the fold in droves.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I never expected much from Boehner's chief butt boy.

I like the way you stated it better!   888high58888
I will NOT comply.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Further compromise on an already compromised bill.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Further compromise on an already compromised bill.

A camel is a beast that was designed by committee.  Like this bill.   *****rollingeyes*****
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

A camel is a beast that was designed by committee.  Like this bill.   *****rollingeyes*****

And this bill now has its nose well under the tent. ACA is a fact of life now. For ever and ever amen.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
And this bill now has its nose well under the tent. ACA is a fact of life now. For ever and ever amen.

Looking at the big picture, I think ACA became fact when Obama was reelected despite/because of it.  The GOP blew things that badly in nominating Romney because it was his turn.  David Limbaugh wrote a whole book about it at the time, and he said were permanently screwed, blued and tattooed if Obama won in 2012, and he was correct.
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Looking at the big picture, I think ACA became fact when Obama was reelected despite/because of it.  The GOP blew things that badly in nominating Romney because it was his turn.  David Limbaugh wrote a whole book about it at the time, and he said were permanently screwed, blued and tattooed if Obama won in 2012, and he was correct.

What dancing with the devil gets you every time!  I have grown to absolutely detest the word "compromise" when applied to government.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What dancing with the devil gets you every time!  I have grown to absolutely detest the word "compromise" when applied to government.

This business about compromise reminds me of a joke I once heard.

A Genie made a proposition to an Engineer and a Scientist (both single):  You can be in a room with a beautiful woman, lying naked on the bed.  Every time you speak, you will get half-way to her.  When you first speak, you move five feet, next time 2 1/2 feet and so on.

The Scientist says "No way!  I'll never get to her!"  The Engineer takes the deal, and says, "After enough words I'll be close enough to get the job done."

Compromising with the Dems, who never budge in the compromise, will eventually get them close enough to get the job done, all they need is for us to constantly compromise while they keep moving the goal post.  Ryan is the perfect patsy, just like Boehner before him.
I will NOT comply.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author

Bipartisan: synonym for date rape.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com