Author Topic: O’Reilly, Ailes, and the Toxic Conservative-Celebrity Culture  (Read 742 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Knifework, not character or integrity, is what we demand from our ideological gladiators. We’re paying the price.
By David French
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/446913/bill-oreilly-roger-ailes-fox-news-mike-flynn-tomi-lahren-conservative-celebrity-culture-character

There are those who say that the Left is “taking scalps,” and they have a list of Republican victims to prove their thesis. Roger
Ailes is out at Fox News. Bill O’Reilly is out at Fox News. Michael Flynn is out at the White House. Those three names — the head of the
most powerful cable news network, the highest-rated cable news personality, and the national-security adviser — represent a stunning
wave of resignations and terminations.

But this isn’t scalp-taking, it’s scalp-giving. Time and again prominent conservative personalities have failed to uphold basic standards
of morality or even decency. Time and again the conservative public has rallied around them, seeking to protect their own against the
wrath of a vengeful Left. Time and again the defense has proved unsustainable as the sheer weight of the facts buries the accused.

Moreover, the pattern is repeating itself with the younger generation of conservative celebrities. The sharp rise and meteoric fall of both
Tomi Lauren and Milo Yiannopoulos were driven by much the same dynamic that sustained O’Reilly for years, even in the face of previous
sexual-harassment complaints — Lahren and Yiannopoulos were “fighters” who “tell it like it is.” O’Reilly was the master of the “no-spin
zone” and seemed fearless in taking on his enemies.

What followed was a toxic culture of conservative celebrity, where the public elevated personalities more because of their pugnaciousness
than anything else. Indeed, the fastest way to become the next conservative star is to “destroy” the Left, feeding the same kind of instinct
that causes leftists to lap up content from John Oliver, Samantha Bee, and Stephen Colbert. Liberals use condescending mockery.
Conservatives use righteous indignation. That’s not much of a difference.

The cost has been a loss of integrity and, crucially, a loss of emphasis on ideas and, more important, ideals. There exists in some quarters
an assumption that if you’re truly going to “fight,” then you have to be ready to get your hands dirty. You can’t be squeamish about details
like truth or civility or decency. When searching for ideological gladiators, we emphasize their knifework, not their character or integrity.

Of course, this notion reached its apex in the person and personality of Donald Trump, but Trump had an advantage that O’Reilly, Ailes,
and others simply didn’t enjoy. When he was under fire, especially in the general election, he could argue that the choice wasn’t between
truth and lies but between him and Hillary, between lies and lies. Which liar do you want? The one allegedly on your side, right?

Make no mistake, there are conservative “fighters” who are men and women of integrity. Fox News still has a number of journalists and
pundits whom I trust and admire. But when we ask for fighters first, and we elevate aggression over truth and competence, we ask for
exactly the kind of scandals we’ve endured.

Moreover, the degradation to our culture far outweighs any short-term, tribal political benefit. The message sent when conservatives rally
around the flag to defend the indefensible is exactly the message the Democrats sent so loudly as they continued to prop up the Clinton
machine through scandal after scandal. Only winning matters. Ambition is everything. Political movements are about personalities, not
ideas — so you’re left with the political equivalent of warring mafia families in which the highest value is loyalty, and the ends always
justify the means.

But ambition isn’t everything, and the single-minded quest for winning ultimately creates a class of losers. O’Reilly and Ailes together
built a cable news empire. Yet their legacies will forever be marred by the tawdriest of scandals: two men (pathetically) proving unable
to control their petty lusts and desires. Michael Flynn was a hero. Now he’s an object lesson. And people like Lahren and Yiannopoulos?
They didn’t even achieve “real” fame before their corruption emerged. Do a few viral Facebook videos justify diva behavior? Does telling
off feminists on YouTube insulate you from the consequences of advancing the worst of ideas?

But, as the saying goes, in crisis there is also opportunity. As Fox News and other conservative organizations consider the path forward,
there’s a chance to not just elevate the next best mouthpiece for righteous indignation but to consider a broader range of virtues. There
do exist conservatives who fight hard but fight fair, and there also exist conservatives who won’t ask you to overlook or even defend
them from credible accusations of serious wrongdoing.

The conservative movement includes some of the best and most admirable people I’ve ever met. It also includes its share of grasping,
ambitious fame-hounds, people who live for the next Fox hit and angle to write this year’s version of the “liberals are sending this
country to hell” bestselling book. But bad character sends a country to hell just as surely as bad policy does, and any movement that
asks its members to defend vice in the name of advancing allegedly greater virtue is ultimately shooting itself in the foot.

O’Reilly’s fall can be an important act of public hygiene, but only if it represents the beginning of the end of a conservative culture
that makes us behave like the cultural enemies we purport to despise. Otherwise conservatives will hand the Left more scalps, forfeit
more public trust, and ultimately lose because of their single-minded quest to win.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

geronl

Re: O’Reilly, Ailes, and the Toxic Conservative-Celebrity Culture
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:32:11 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 12:41:11 pm »
When we build these people up and treat them like gods, we shouldn't be surprised when they begin to act like it. Believing that we'll defend them no matter what they do only makes things worse.

Silver Pines

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 03:58:46 pm »
When we build these people up and treat them like gods, we shouldn't be surprised when they begin to act like it. Believing that we'll defend them no matter what they do only makes things worse.

@Cripplecreek

I have two longtime online friends...we "met" each other on the old AOL politics boards in the late '90s and we've emailed each other almost every day since then.  Both are conservative, one is in Washington state and the other in New Jersey.  And both of them are outraged about what is being "done" to O'Reilly.  They liken his situation to that of Clarence Thomas.

I don't want to go there with them, I really don't, but...

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 04:05:47 pm »
@Cripplecreek

I have two longtime online friends...we "met" each other on the old AOL politics boards in the late '90s and we've emailed each other almost every day since then.  Both are conservative, one is in Washington state and the other in New Jersey.  And both of them are outraged about what is being "done" to O'Reilly.  They liken his situation to that of Clarence Thomas.

I don't want to go there with them, I really don't, but...

My favorites are the idiots who declared that the sheer number of allegations meant Bill Cosby was guilty and now claim that the sheer number of allegations against O'Reilly means that they're probably fake.

Silver Pines

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 04:16:55 pm »
My favorites are the idiots who declared that the sheer number of allegations meant Bill Cosby was guilty and now claim that the sheer number of allegations against O'Reilly means that they're probably fake.

LOL

Seems legit!

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 04:24:16 pm »

O'Reilly was not drugging women and raping them.  The very worst accusation I have heard so far, that was proven, he could not remember a host name and called her Her blondness.

I want to see some actual allegations that are proven or at least some witnesses before I tar and feather him.I do believe he was a ahole and royal jerk to work with because every single co worker from his past said so and gave proof or various documentation-dates and times and other people backed up the story

I'm still wondering why all these Fox women have all been sexually harassed. Seems very strange. Weird.They are all coming out of the woodwork.

A woman says he opened his hotel door naked? No witnesses??
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 04:30:33 pm by mirraflake »

Silver Pines

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 01:01:07 am »
O'Reilly was not drugging women and raping them.  The very worst accusation I have heard so far, that was proven, he could not remember a host name and called her Her blondness.

I want to see some actual allegations that are proven or at least some witnesses before I tar and feather him.I do believe he was a ahole and royal jerk to work with because every single co worker from his past said so and gave proof or various documentation-dates and times and other people backed up the story

I'm still wondering why all these Fox women have all been sexually harassed. Seems very strange. Weird.They are all coming out of the woodwork.

A woman says he opened his hotel door naked? No witnesses??

@mirraflake

It was Juliet Huddy.  Why would there be witnesses?  She was supposed to drop something off, I think, papers or something work-related, and he answered the door. 

The women were harassed because their place of employment was run like some kind of playground for aging, bag-faced ratpack wannabes.  But by all means, let's blame the women for it.