Author Topic: Adidas apologizes for email congratulating runners on 'surviving' the Boston Marathon  (Read 1681 times)

Wingnut

Snowflakes are are a sad bunch of misfits.

Adidas has apologized for sending out a marketing email using an unfortunate choice of words to praise customers who completed the Boston Marathon on Monday.

The subject line of the email sent Tuesday by Adidas Running read: 'Congrats, you survived the Boston Marathon!'

On social media, customers quickly reminded the company about the real survivors of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4423026/Adidas-apologizes-Boston-Marathon-marketing-gaffe.html#ixzz4ei9qxO25

Offline Night Hides Not

Snowflakes are are a sad bunch of misfits.

Adidas has apologized for sending out a marketing email using an unfortunate choice of words to praise customers who completed the Boston Marathon on Monday.

The subject line of the email sent Tuesday by Adidas Running read: 'Congrats, you survived the Boston Marathon!'

On social media, customers quickly reminded the company about the real survivors of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4423026/Adidas-apologizes-Boston-Marathon-marketing-gaffe.html#ixzz4ei9qxO25

Poor fellow's comments were taken way out of context. I'm with you Wingnut, this is a case of snowflakiness of the worst sort.

ETA: From the comments section, we aren't the Lone Rangers. lol
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 03:57:20 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Wingnut

ETA: From the comments section, we aren't the Lone Rangers. lol

So they are!  This is a good sign. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The day before yesterday I was walking, when I saw a young lady in need of some help. Her car was stranded, out of gas and blocking the street.

She had taken the time to make two handwritten signs, but apparently made no effort to move the (fairly small, light) car.

I went to the back to push, telling her to put it in neutral. She said she couldn't do that. I got in the driver seat and quickly put it neutral, brake off. Returned to the back and pushed. It easily moved forward.

I told her to steer to the right. She steered to the left, back into the center of the street, and going beyond a space on the curb. She was babbling that her phone battery was dead. I said I would let her use my phone.

About then, another fellow came to assist. I signaled to him she was crazy, with circling motion towards my head.

She saw me, and stated "that wasn't nice." Instead of help her further, I  walked away. A snowflake. More concerned with "feelings," than results.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

geronl

Lots of bad PR going around lately, maybe something in the water.

Offline mountaineer

My husband has run a dozen or so Boston marathons, including this year's, and isn't offended in the least by the term "surviving."

The 2013 bombing was a terrible event for those who actually were affected by it. Unfortunately, it's turning into one of those maudlin events where everyone's a victim. I'm biting my tongue, I have to admit.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
The day before yesterday I was walking, when I saw a young lady in need of some help. Her car was stranded, out of gas and blocking the street.

She had taken the time to make two handwritten signs, but apparently made no effort to move the (fairly small, light) car.

I went to the back to push, telling her to put it in neutral. She said she couldn't do that. I got in the driver seat and quickly put it neutral, brake off. Returned to the back and pushed. It easily moved forward.

I told her to steer to the right. She steered to the left, back into the center of the street, and going beyond a space on the curb. She was babbling that her phone battery was dead. I said I would let her use my phone.

About then, another fellow came to assist. I signaled to him she was crazy, with circling motion towards my head.

She saw me, and stated "that wasn't nice." Instead of help her further, I  walked away. A snowflake. More concerned with "feelings," than results.

Now that's funny, sad but funny at the same time.  She's probably wondering why her phone didn't alert her she was low on gas.

Offline Hondo69

Sometimes my manager and I will watch people trying to park in front of my store.  It's a huge parking lot with freshly painted stripes and would make for a good college thesis for anyone seeking a masters in social behavior. 

About 80% of the people can hit the stripes - no problem.  Roughly 10% try to hit the stripes but just can't to save their life.  The other 10% ignore the stripes completely.  By now you know where this is going.

But I'll skip over the comparisons to society as a whole and how observing parking lot behavior spells trouble for our nation's future and get right to some of the more unusual observations we've made:

*Minivans should be banned from the face of the earth.

*The cake store two doors down should offer home delivery.  People cannot carry a cake and talk on the phone at the same time.

*If the expression on your face when behind the wheel is one of pain and your teeth are showing, driving's not for you.

*If the big one ever hits and everyone has to fend for ourselves, at least some of us won't starve.

*Some cars honk the horn when the driver hits the button on the remote.  This is not progress.  Innocent passerbys are sometimes shocked into dropping their groceries and quite possible soiling themselves.

*There is no limit to people's stupidity.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
I know that if I ran the Boston marathon, I would be happy surviving and happy to receive an email recognizing the accomplishment.

:thud:

Online Polly Ticks

*Minivans should be banned from the face of the earth.

Spoken like someone who doesn't have five kids.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Hondo69

Maybe you can answer a common question.  Do minivans have a switch inside labelled Lobotomy Accelerator?

Offline thackney

8 full size seats, 4x4, 9,100 lb towing capacity and drives like a (heavy) sports car with the twin turbo 3.5L

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Wingnut

8 full size seats, 4x4, 9,100 lb towing capacity and drives like a (heavy) sports car with the twin turbo 3.5L

Oh a new hybrid.  It burns gas and rubber.

Offline mountaineer

Our family had four children in the pre-minivan days, so my parents had to settle for this:

But getting back to the subject at hand, my husband has confirmed that it didn't occur to him to be outraged over being congratulated for surviving the marathon. Last night, we saw the new movie, "Boston: The Documentary." Overall it is pretty good, but we thought it spent way too much time on the 2013 bombing and how resiliently the BAA, et al., came back in 2014. Enough, already.

Offline Hondo69

If you stick the kids under the back window they can stretch out and look up at the stars.  Keeps them both quiet and happy.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I didn't even think about it till they reminded my of the bombing.

Sometimes I think about Hawaii without thinking of Pearl Harbor.

Guess I'm a bad person. :shrug:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

I don't have kids and I like mine.

Bowser really loves it because of all the windows he can look out while I drive.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Kathy Switzer of Michigan was the first woman to run it in 1967, 50 years later, she ran it again.

Story is in the sports, entertainment area, this thread could easily go in that forum as well.

Offline mountaineer

I didn't even think about it till they reminded my of the bombing.

Sometimes I think about Hawaii without thinking of Pearl Harbor.

Guess I'm a bad person. :shrug:
When I think about Hawaii, it's in terms of, "Which golf course would I like to play and just how horrible would I look in a swimsuit?" Then I figure if we ever visited the islands, yes, we'd go to Pearl Harbor, too.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
I know that if I ran the Boston marathon, I would be happy surviving and happy to receive an email recognizing the accomplishment.

:thud:
Same here.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online Polly Ticks

Maybe you can answer a common question.  Do minivans have a switch inside labelled Lobotomy Accelerator?

I guess it depended on the model.  Mine didn't, but it apparently did come with a bumper sticker everyone else could see that said, "Please cut me off as soon as possible."
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Mod1

Moved to Sports/Entertainment.