Author Topic: Michigan Senate passes legislation legalizing switchblade knives  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
LANSING, MI -- Switchblade knives would no longer be illegal in Michigan under a bill passed by the state Senate on Thursday.

The bill was introduced by Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, and passed the Senate Judiciary Committee he chairs in March.

The bill passed 36-1, with only Rep. Morris Hood III, D-Detroit, voting against it.

"As we see a lot of violence increasing in our country, in our world... I just don't think that there should be another tool out there for someone to be able to carry, to legally carry," Hood said.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/04/michigan_senate_passes_legisla.html#incart_river_home_pop

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Michigan Senate passes legislation legalizing switchblade knives
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 11:54:19 pm »
Are any other knives illegal?

Here in Texas, we have some screwy knife laws.

For example:

“Illegal knife” means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;

It really gets me that in Texas, the Bowie knife is defined as an ILLEGAL KNIFE.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Michigan Senate passes legislation legalizing switchblade knives
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 12:09:12 am »
Are any other knives illegal?

Here in Texas, we have some screwy knife laws.

For example:

“Illegal knife” means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;

It really gets me that in Texas, the Bowie knife is defined as an ILLEGAL KNIFE.

I've got some serious cutlery in the kitchen that is far more dangerous than any little switchblade.

It is kind of funny watching the liberals go ballistic over this. In the comments some are trying to claim that since the 2nd amendment doesn't mention knives there is no right to knives. I hate to tell them but the word "arms" predates guns and basically means "weapons". They then turn to the term militia in the constitution but the militia isn't mentioned in the Michigan constitution in regards to guns.

“Every Person has the right to keep  and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.”

Michigan Constitution, Art 1, Sec. 6