Author Topic: Coast Guard Decommissions High-Endurance Cutter Morgenthau After 48 Years  (Read 722 times)

rangerrebew

Posted: April 18, 2017 10:00 AM
Coast Guard Decommissions High-Endurance Cutter Morgenthau After 48 Years

HONOLULU — The Coast Guard decommissioned its eighth high-endurance cutter on April 18 after nearly 50 years of service as part of recapitalization efforts during a ceremony at Base Honolulu, the service said.

The Coast Guard Cutter Morgenthau (WHEC 722), a 378-foot high-endurance cutter, saw action in the Vietnam War, numerous major drug interdictions and law enforcement cases, and a variety of noteworthy rescues.

http://seapowermagazine.org/stories/20170418-morgenthau.html
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:12:58 am by rangerrebew »

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Even though older, that ship looks to remain quite serviceable and it looks quite modern in design.

Why decommission it?

geronl

Even though older, that ship looks to remain quite serviceable and it looks quite modern in design.

Why decommission it?

I guess they have new ones coming online or something. It does look like a keeper though.

Offline r9etb

I guess they have new ones coming online or something. It does look like a keeper though.

It's spent 48 years getting the hell beat out of it by the ocean.  I suspect metal fatigue, cracking, and corrosion are major concerns for a ship that old.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:51:15 am by r9etb »

geronl

It's spent 48 years getting the hell beat out of it by the ocean.  I suspect metal fatigue, cracking, and corrosion are major concerns for a ship that old.

Move it to a lake. lol. Turn it into a permanent restaurant at the pier.

It probably costs a lot in maintenance and doesn't use the same parts as the newer ships.