Author Topic: Yes, Trump Goes To Church. He Goes To My Church. Here´s What Happens When The President Sits Next To You  (Read 490 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Yes, Trump Goes To Church. He Goes To My Church. Here´s What Happens When The President Sits Next To You
Independent Journal Review, Apr 18. 2017, Sonya Sandage

There are many conflicting media reports about President Trump and his relationship with the Christian faith, the church, and religion as a whole. As a resident of the President's beloved Palm Beach community, a place where we have grown accustomed to seeing the 'real' Donald, I can tell you the President does attend church.

In fact, he attends my church.

I sat across from the President on Easter Sunday. I've worshiped with Trump and his family multiple times in our little stone sanctuary over the last 15 years I've been a parishioner. Here are some things I would like to set straight about attending church with President Trump.

So it was no surprise to members of our community church when President Trump casually walked into Easter service. I have attended church with Trump five times, including last Easter when he was a GOP presidential candidate. Donald was married at my church. His son Barron was christened at my church. Melania posts photos of my church, saying it is where she and Donald “celebrate and pray.”

However, when Donald came to worship this Easter Sunday, things were different.

This was the first time Donald Trump attended as President.

Here are some ways your church service changes when the most powerful man in the world attends.

As people lined up for the 11am service, parishioners had to go through metal detectors and be searched by Secret Service and bomb sniffing dogs. It's very much like getting on a plane.

When the President and his family arrive, everything gets really busy outside. Security swarm. Police block the roads. He may wave, but he is in a 'bubble' until he gets in the building.

It's neat to see the President, no matter who you are. When Donald walked in, some of the parishioners were very excited. The family came in from the side door, with Barron, Tiffany and Melania and her parents. They were shown to their pew in the fifth row by one of the clergy. The energy was palpable.

Donald was friendly as usual. He tried to keep the fuss down around him so the Pastor wouldn’t be too perturbed. The Pastor noted that the day is intended to celebrate Christ, who has risen from the grave —- not Donald who has seated himself in the fifth pew.

Two Secret Service sat behind him, two in front of him, and maybe even more that we didn’t know about. The entire church was watched over by Secret Service. One agent stood at the front of church on her walkie-talkie communicating with the agent next to him. The entire church and grounds were covered with bomb-sniffing dogs and agents during the entire service, we later found out.

Many parishioners did shake Donald’s hand quietly on the way up to take Communion. Some walked right by him. But he was friendly and shook everyone’s hand who reached for his.

Donald Trump sang hymns in church. I saw it.

Donald and his family left when the final hymn played. He waved at everyone, and everyone waved back, then his Secret Service and family all left out of a side door.

Some people were outside, so hyped up, they were literally crying to see the President as we walked out at the end of service. So the word was out that he was there by the end of service.

I'm proud to be a member of the same church as Donald Trump. During this service, you can imagine a lot is on his mind, now that he is no longer just the owner of a club on the island, but rather the Commander in Chief for the most powerful country in the world.

I think I saw him praying, just a bit more this year.

More:  http://ijr.com/opinion/2017/04/265196-yes-trump-goes-church-goes-church-heres-happens-sits-next/

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:35:50 am by Right_in_Virginia »