Author Topic: Mobilization: The Army’s Achilles’ Heel  (Read 247 times)

rangerrebew

Mobilization: The Army’s Achilles’ Heel
« on: April 19, 2017, 09:28:03 am »
Mobilization: The Army’s Achilles’ Heel
Christopher Petty
April 18, 2017

I knew we had a problem in 2006. That was the year I took a battalion through the mobilization process on the way to war in Iraq. The 2-135th Aviation Battalion, with our six hundred citizen-soldiers, from different states, moved to Ft. Hood to answer the nation’s call. Our flight crews were manned and well-trained. Our battalion staff was proficient. Yet, we ended up away from our jobs and families, sitting and waiting patiently at Fort Hood for six months. Some of the time was spent setting up our battalion with its unique airfield and maintenance requirements. We also went through training we had already done. Much of the time we sat around waiting to use ranges and other training facilities that we had to share with others. My soldiers also received equipment, such as new radios and mounts for vehicles that we would end up sending home.  This story isn’t just about frustrated soldiers. It’s also about how a nation that invested in such an incredible warfighting capability faced a needless six-month delay in employing it.  It didn’t change the outcome of the war, but it was more than an inconvenience: It was a symptom of a strategic problem that the United States needs to tackle because next time the stakes might be higher.

https://warontherocks.com/2017/04/mobilization-the-armys-achilles-heel/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:28:35 am by rangerrebew »