Author Topic: NASA astronaut's space treasure map sparks hunt for Caribbean wrecks  (Read 2208 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Astronaut Gordon Cooper was a born explorer. He broke countless NASA space flight records, like the longest single-man space flight, a 122-hour mission. But one of his greatest achievements may not have been unveiled if it wasn’t for his willingness to share a secret he had kept for more than 40 years.

During his time in space, Cooper made an incredible discovery — anomalies he believed were shipwrecks. He meticulously noted them and created what some are calling a treasure map from space.

When Cooper fell sick with Parkinson’s, his longtime friend Darrell Miklos says he gave him his maps to fulfill his explorations. Cooper passed away in 2004.

“I think he knew his demise was coming, so he gave me the information prior to his death and said, ‘Anything ever happens to me, you make sure you finish this,’” Miklos told Fox News.

Miklos became close with Cooper after years of sharing an office space in California, when they bonded over a shared passion for exploration.

“From the mid-’90s till his passing, we always talked about treasure, but [it was] not till 2002 that he revealed to me that he had all these files for decades,” Miklos said. “I’m privileged to be the only man with these files.”

More plus video: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/04/17/nasa-astronauts-space-treasure-map-sparks-hunt-for-caribbean-wrecks.html
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:32:26 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: NASA astronaut's space treasure map sparks hunt for Caribbean wrecks
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 06:47:07 pm »
Gordon Cooper DID NOT spend 122 hours alone in space. The Mercury capsule had barely 2 days worth of oxygen and power. He spent 32 hours in orbit and systems were failing as he re-entered. Dumb-ass mistakes like that make me doubt the entire article.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 12:51:09 pm »
Gordon Cooper DID NOT spend 122 hours alone in space. The Mercury capsule had barely 2 days worth of oxygen and power. He spent 32 hours in orbit and systems were failing as he re-entered. Dumb-ass mistakes like that make me doubt the entire article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Cooper
Even a quick search of Wikipedia turns up Cooper's times:
Mercury - 34 hours, 19 minutes and 49 seconds (mission elapsed time)
Gemini - 190 hours and 56 minutes
Total - 222 hours "in space" (yes it doesn't quite add up.  I think it's because not all mission time is spent in space)

But it's not like it's hard to find the info.  But how did the author get 122 hours?  That's not even close to any of the actual numbers.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 04:05:30 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Cooper
Even a quick search of Wikipedia turns up Cooper's times:
Mercury - 34 hours, 19 minutes and 49 seconds (mission elapsed time)
Gemini - 190 hours and 56 minutes
Total - 222 hours "in space" (yes it doesn't quite add up.  I think it's because not all mission time is spent in space)

But it's not like it's hard to find the info.  But how did the author get 122 hours?  That's not even close to any of the actual numbers.

That's why I doubt the entire article. My suspicion is that Miklos is trying to run a scam to fleece gullible investors.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 04:08:51 pm »
That's why I doubt the entire article. My suspicion is that Miklos is trying to run a scam to fleece gullible investors.

It is a promotion for the new TV show.

Now, Miklos stars in the new Discovery Channel docuseries "Cooper's Treasure." The show follows Miklos as he decodes and follows Cooper’s maps in hopes of uncovering hundred-year-old shipwreck material and treasure.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 04:21:32 pm »
It is a promotion for the new TV show.

Again, it's a scam.

Offline ConservativeGranny

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 04:35:07 pm »
Purchased the season on Amazon and watched the first episode. Can't say I'm impressed. My gut feeling is that this may be a scam as well but we'll see if the subsequent shows get any better.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 05:45:54 pm »
Went back and re-read it.

Cooper must have had some mighty fine eyesight. You really can't see stuff smaller than a very large building at 7 miles up, never mind 100 miles up.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 01:15:48 am »
Went back and re-read it.

Cooper must have had some mighty fine eyesight. You really can't see stuff smaller than a very large building at 7 miles up, never mind 100 miles up.

He had very good vision, but not that good.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 01:58:12 pm »
A new article on this scam....

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3224/1