Author Topic: Air Force struggles to remove Humvee left on muddy remote road in Montana  (Read 751 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle, also known as the HMMWV or Humvee, boasts 37-inch tires, climbs up to a 40 percent grade and when properly outfitted can ford up to 60 inches of water. But in one instance this spring the rugged vehicle was no match for a Montana dirt road.

A HMMWV belonging to the United States Air Force security forces charged with patrolling Minuteman III missile sites near Grass Range was abandoned by its crew last week after it got stuck in a mudhole on Fairview Road.

The Air Force tried to remove the HMMWV three times in the last several days but the muddy conditions made the attempts unsuccessful. Crews will work to remove the vehicle again Tuesday with a tow truck, said Connie Hempel, public affairs chief at Malmstrom Air Force Base.

Hempel said the airmen in the HMMWV were driving either to or from the missile site on Fairview Road when they became stuck. They had to walk out of the area carrying their weapons and other equipment, leaving the vehicle in the mud. The stretch of road they were on was not a usual route, but it wasn’t an unauthorized area.

More: http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/air-force-struggles-to-remove-humvee-left-on-muddy-remote/article_21aac8e8-ec74-5b1d-a78d-dd99e558e0cf.html

*****rollingeyes*****
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Just tell the local boys the first one who can get it out can have it. I'd give it 24 hours, tops.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Just get one of these bad boys...

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Wingnut

Just tell the local boys the first one who can get it out can have it. I'd give it 24 hours, tops.

Yeah.  Send that dude Rich Lewis from "Mountain Men" in after it.  He and his old Willey's could get it out!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yeah.  Send that dude Rich Lewis from "Mountain Men" in after it.  He and his old Willey's could get it out!

I love that show! 

Wingnut

I love that show!

@Sanguine.  Yep met too.  I can do without that "Useless" Conway fellow down in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine.  Yep met too.  I can do without that "Useless" Conway fellow down in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina.

He's ok, but my favorites are Marty and Tom.  Tough, tough guys.

Offline roamer_1

Take it from me: If you're buried with 36+  rubber, lockers, and either a big block or a diesel, pulling it out is not an easy thing.

Sometimes it takes all night. Sometimes it takes days.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:21:54 pm by roamer_1 »

geronl

Sky Crane laughs at the predicament