Author Topic: Why do your shoelaces come untied?  (Read 855 times)

Wingnut

Why do your shoelaces come untied?
« on: April 17, 2017, 06:05:08 pm »
For more than 40 years, Oliver O'Reilly's shoelaces have been coming untied pretty much every day. And for most of those 40 years O'Reilly didn't think too much about it.

But then, about a decade ago, his daughter Anna was learning to tie her shoes, and O'Reilly decided his shoelace problem wasn't worth passing on to another generation.

"I didn't want her to inherit my problems, so I went online and found some really helpful videos to teach me how to tie her shoelaces," he says.

And, perhaps if O'Reilly had had a different job, that's where the shoelace problem would have stopped. But Oliver O'Reilly is a professor of mechanical engineering at the University of California, Berkeley, and as he looked at videos of shoelace knots, he started wondering why they came untied in day-to-day life.

"That problem always stuck in my mind," he says.

Now, he and two graduate students have published a paper, in Proceedings Of The Royal Society A, titled "The roles of impact and inertia in the failure of a shoelace knot."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-aiynIphTw

http://www.scpr.org/news/2017/04/17/70853/untangling-the-mystery-of-why-shoelaces-come-untie/

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Why do your shoelaces come untied?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 06:23:09 pm »
While fun to joke about its crazy that this was essentially paid for with tax dollars.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 06:25:28 pm »
What are shoelaces?  I don't have any.  Even my sports shoes have Velcro straps.  After one reaches a certain age, shoelaces are too far away to bend down there.  I haven't seen shoelaces in many years.  What are these things you call "shoelaces"?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 06:29:28 pm »
I never untie my trainers. just slip them off and wiggle them back on. Lazy like that. Boots have speed lacers, they never come untied.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 06:59:55 pm »
I think I need to add velcro straps to my work boots.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 07:06:55 pm »
I think I need to add velcro straps to my work boots.
Yer in Texas ain't ya? I didn't even know they sold boots with laces down that away. Get a pair of cowboy boots they never come untied.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour