Author Topic: 'I'm Just Too Busy' -- Is Being Overworked the New Status Symbol? New research suggests Americans equate harried lifestyles with higher social standing  (Read 437 times)

rangerrebew

'I'm Just Too Busy' -- Is Being Overworked the New Status Symbol?
New research suggests Americans equate harried lifestyles with higher social standing

THURSDAY, April 13, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- Workaholism, it seems, is the new black.

People who complain endlessly about being overworked and overwhelmed may be sending others a less-than-subtle message: "I'm more important than you."

So finds new research suggesting that some Americans are eschewing old tipoffs to status -- weekday rounds of golf and months-long vacations.

Instead, higher status is now transmitted by at least claiming to be oh so busy.

https://medlineplus.gov/news/fullstory_164629.html
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 01:41:23 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Suppressed

Is leisure time not decreasing across the board, or with working individuals?  Unemployed change the equation.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn