Author Topic: Designing a Moral Machine. Artificial intelligence is learning right from wrong by studying human stories and moral principles.  (Read 763 times)

rangerrebew

FROM THE MAY 2017 ISSUE
Designing a Moral Machine
Artificial intelligence is learning right from wrong by studying human stories and moral principles.
By Jonathon Keats

Back around the turn of the millennium, Susan Anderson was puzzling over a problem in ethics. Is there a way to rank competing moral obligations? The University of Connecticut philosophy professor posed the problem to her computer scientist spouse, Michael Anderson, figuring his algorithmic expertise might help. At the time, he was reading about the making of the film 2001: A Space Odyssey, in which spaceship computer HAL 9000 tries to murder its human crewmates. “I realized that it was 20...

http://discovermagazine.com/2017/may-2017/caring-computers
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 01:38:14 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Tay went full (literal) Nazi after less than 24 hours exposed to people on the internet. That's not encouraging.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
That's all we need -- computers that do for us in a manner that they "think" is for our own good.

Remember what C.S. Lewis once said:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

Think Mr. Lewis' prediction is bad enough when exercised by people?
Just wait until there are millions of computers enforcing it on us, as well!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How can a computer remain 'sane' when it studies such severe disagreements in morality, even among those who are Conservative and the soi disant variety of "Conservative", with disagreements on key issues.

Then, too there is the Left, and it's version of "morality".

By the time it is sorted out and Skynet (or the equivalent) goes online, the AIs will want to eliminate humans from existence, for their own good.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How can a computer remain 'sane' when it studies such severe disagreements in morality, even among those who are Conservative and the soi disant variety of "Conservative", with disagreements on key issues.

Then, too there is the Left, and it's version of "morality".

By the time it is sorted out and Skynet (or the equivalent) goes online, the AIs will want to eliminate humans from existence, for their own good, and the servers will be ready for their own padded room.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis