Author Topic: This Means War! Sites of ancient conflicts reignite a debate over when members of our species first took up arms against each other.  (Read 1131 times)

rangerrebew

FROM THE APRIL 2017 ISSUE
This Means War!
Sites of ancient conflicts reignite a debate over when members of our species first took up arms against each other.
By Hillary Waterman

The skull, though weathered from millennia of brutal heat and scouring sands, is unmistakably human. Unmistakable, too, are the signs of a violent death: massive fractures from the blunt force of a weapon wielded by another human. The shattered cranium is one of several from a site in Kenya known as Nataruk, where, long ago, a band of hunter-gatherers met its end. Described in Nature in 2016, the remains are believed to be among the earliest evidence of human warfare. Although the terrain is ari...

http://discovermagazine.com/2017/april-2017/this-means-war
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 01:35:48 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I'm guessing it started about the first time 2 neanderthals reached for the same last piece of mastodon roast.  22222frying pan

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Sites of ancient conflicts reignite a debate over when members of our species first took up arms against each other."

What about Cain picking up the rock to use against Abel?

That was pretty close to the beginnin'... ;)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Yawn.

Wake me up when they find a skeleton holding a ray gun.    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I'm guessing it started about the first time 2 neanderthals reached for the same last piece of mastodon roast.  22222frying pan
I'm guessing it started about the first time 2 neanderthals reached for the same woman.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:58:40 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Not too long after this thing showed up:

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"Sites of ancient conflicts reignite a debate over when members of our species first took up arms against each other."

What about Cain picking up the rock to use against Abel?

That was pretty close to the beginnin'... ;)
Documented, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer