Author Topic: Awesome Handgun Calibers Never Took Off  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Awesome Handgun Calibers Never Took Off
« on: April 16, 2017, 05:34:18 am »
gunbelts.com Apr 12, 2017

The dominant handgun calibers are excellent, but they're also fairly old. The newest caliber that's achieved much in the way of popularity is .40 S&W, and even that one seems to be on the way out to some degree.

There are some other great handgun calibers out there that just haven't gotten the same traction, which is kind of unfortunate. There are some great rounds that just don't get the same love as .45 ACP or 9x19mm that merit looking into.

The .38 Super: The Original Plus P Round

The .41 Magnum: Arguably The Perfect Manstopper

The 10mm Auto

9x23mm Winchester

From Russia With BOOM! The 7.65x25mm Tokarev

.327 Federal Magnum - King Of The Compact Magnums

More: http://gunbelts.com/blog/overlooked-handgun-calibers/

Offline roamer_1

Re: Awesome Handgun Calibers Never Took Off
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 06:27:38 am »
The dominant handgun calibers are excellent, but they're also fairly old. The newest caliber that's achieved much in the way of popularity is .40 S&W, and even that one seems to be on the way out to some degree.

Why fix what ain't broke?

There are some other great handgun calibers out there that just haven't gotten the same traction, which is kind of unfortunate. There are some great rounds that just don't get the same love as .45 ACP or 9x19mm that merit looking into.

*not* 45/70, I can tell you that....

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 06:21:15 pm »
I've been reading about the .44 Special making a bit of a comeback from the "forgotten" calibers as well.

I've been reading about the .38 Super...might even look into buying one if I can find some extra cash.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 06:42:10 pm »
I've been reading about the .44 Special making a bit of a comeback from the "forgotten" calibers as well.

I've been reading about the .38 Super...might even look into buying one if I can find some extra cash.

I'd love to have a 44 special.

I've shot 38 Super in my Astra400. Not much different than 9mm Largo. I've always liked that handgun.

I also like the 7.65x25. I shoot it in my CZ52. I wish someone would come out with a more modern handgun in this caliber.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 06:58:29 pm »

This might interest you then.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2016/01/video-charter-arms-boomer-a-new-44-special-snubbie/#charter-arms-boomer-1

I've shot 38 Super in my Astra400. Not much different than 9mm Largo. I've always liked that handgun.

My good friends at Rock Island Armory make one of their 1911 models chambered for .38 super.  That's the one I've had my eye on.

I also like the 7.65x25. I shoot it in my CZ52. I wish someone would come out with a more modern handgun in this caliber.

It's an interesting round for sure.  Maybe someone like CZ will come out with an updated pistol at some point.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 06:59:12 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 06:59:56 pm »

I hope so.  I rarely find it in a store.  A little easier for pleasure shooting with the 44 mag.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 07:21:47 pm »
This might interest you then.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2016/01/video-charter-arms-boomer-a-new-44-special-snubbie/#charter-arms-boomer-1

I've looked at the boomer. 2 negatives for me. DAO and no front sight.

What I'd really like is a short barreled S&W Model 69. I know, 44Mag, but I really like the gun, especially if they'd offer it in a 3 inch bbl.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 07:24:39 pm »
I've looked at the boomer. 2 negatives for me. DAO and no front sight.

What I'd really like is a short barreled S&W Model 69. I know, 44Mag, but I really like the gun, especially if they'd offer it in a 3 inch bbl.

IIRC Ruger is offering the GP100 in .44 Special.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 08:54:34 pm »
IIRC Ruger is offering the GP100 in .44 Special.

It looks like it has a lot to offer.

Offline endicom

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 09:13:31 pm »

Son of Sam approved for effectiveness.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 12:55:35 am »

Please check this out. http://www.9mmlargo.com/cartridge/largo_vs_others.htmhttp://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?167026-9x23-vs-9mm-largo-horror-stories
While people have shot .38 super, 9X23 Winchester through weapons designed for 9 mm Largo (also 9X23), in many cases, it isn't recommended. There is a whole spectrum of chamber pressures involved, and the history of the firearms is a factor, often unknown.

It's your pistol, feed it as you like, but I would be remiss not to point out the varying opinions on shooting higher pressure rounds through it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 12:57:49 am »
I hope so.  I rarely find it in a store.  A little easier for pleasure shooting with the 44 mag.
If you reload, check out a milder .44Mag load with IMR4227. It is gentler than the 'hot' loads and factory .44 Rem Mag loads, and just nicer to shoot out of pistol or rifle.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 01:14:33 am »
I have a beautiful Century 45-70 revolver. Kicks like a caddy hit you at 60mph, but can take down anything. Now that we have open carry, I'm tempted to strap it on one day.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 01:22:28 am »
.41 mag is awesome!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 01:28:27 am »
Please check this out. http://www.9mmlargo.com/cartridge/largo_vs_others.htmhttp://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?167026-9x23-vs-9mm-largo-horror-stories
While people have shot .38 super, 9X23 Winchester through weapons designed for 9 mm Largo (also 9X23), in many cases, it isn't recommended. There is a whole spectrum of chamber pressures involved, and the history of the firearms is a factor, often unknown.

It's your pistol, feed it as you like, but I would be remiss not to point out the varying opinions on shooting higher pressure rounds through it.

I've read it all. And you notice that I used the contraction I've, not that it's my current practice.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 01:31:06 am »
.41 mag is awesome!

Ammo availability and price almost forces you to be a reloader. My 2 friends that own .41s love the gun.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 01:36:38 am »
I should note that I have swapped out the barrel in my Astra400 for a  9mm Parabellum barrel.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 01:45:37 am »
I should note that I have swapped out the barrel in my Astra400 for a  9mm Parabellum barrel.
Do you know some place I could get replacement (rechambered) barrels for Star and Astra pistols? There was an outfit that offered them (Federal Arms or Federal Ordnance, iirc), but they disappeared during the Clinton years.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 01:48:39 am »
Federal was who I got the Astra barrel from.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 01:56:10 am »
Ammo availability and price almost forces you to be a reloader. My 2 friends that own .41s love the gun.

I haven't bought a round of commercially loaded ammo in 30 years (except for personal carry ammo) and I LOVE my .41.   Very little difference between it and .44 with magnum loads but much easier to practice with.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 02:09:45 am »
I Love my Ruger Blackhawk .45 and I've run around 39 years of reloads thru it. I've been hooked on reloading for about 50 years.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 02:11:09 am »
I just remembered another caliber. Who remembers the .401 Powermag?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 03:32:28 am »
I have a beautiful Century 45-70 revolver. Kicks like a caddy hit you at 60mph, but can take down anything. Now that we have open carry, I'm tempted to strap it on one day.

I had the opportunity to shoot one of those, which is where I rendered my opinion.

Better not figure on more than one shot... Time off target is huge, taking the time to run back there and find your arm and all...

geronl

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 03:57:56 am »

The biggest, most worthless manifestation of an inferiority complex ever created by one man. Originally manufactured under the name “Remington Model 1859,” this copy of the formerly U.S.-made revolver was built by Ryszard Tobys and measures 4-foot-(1.26 m) long. To give some basis for comparison, the 28mm projectile is 8mm wider than the U.S. military’s fabled “20mm Cannon,” a weapon used primarily for destroying tanks, sinking boats, or shooting down heavily armored airplanes. While entirely impractical and, one would guess, impossible to use as an even mildly effective tool for any purpose other than felling trees, the 28mm revolver has made its mark as truly being the world’s largest pistol. And simultaneously the world’s most comical waste of lead.

Offline thackney

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 11:45:32 am »
If you reload, check out a milder .44Mag load with IMR4227. It is gentler than the 'hot' loads and factory .44 Rem Mag loads, and just nicer to shoot out of pistol or rifle.

Sadly, there is not enough time in the week to even consider reloading.  Far easier to simply work and extra hour and pay for all I want to shoot that week, although lately, finding time to even shoot is tough.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer