Author Topic: Rates of new diagnosed cases of type 1 and 2 diabetes on the rise among children, teens. Fastest rise seen among racial/ethnic minority groups  (Read 437 times)

rangerrebew

Rates of new diagnosed cases of type 1 and 2 diabetes on the rise among children, teens
Fastest rise seen among racial/ethnic minority groups

Date:
    April 14, 2017
Source:
    NIH/National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Summary:
    Rates of new diagnosed cases of type 1 and type 2 diabetes are increasing among youth in the United States, according to a report.
Share:
    AddThis Sharing Buttons
    Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Google+Share to LinkedInShare to MoreShare to Email

FULL STORY

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170414105821.htm
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 05:31:56 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

Several years ago, when I was diagnosed with Type II, my doctor told me that that more and more teenagers were being diagnosed with Type II.  Type I used to be called Juvenile Diabetes -- more common in children -- so a Type I diagnosis rarely raised any eyebrows.  Type II usually manifested itself in adults.  In my doctor's opinion, Type II was the result of poor eating habits and no exercise.  Since so many kids are glued to their video games or riding everywhere instead of walking, plus eating a lot of junk, I guess it makes sense that Type II would become more common in kids.  But Type I -- I'm not sure why that would become more prevalent.  My SIL has a niece who is Type I.  She is very athletic, eats well and is not from any minority group.