Author Topic: US commander didn't ask permission to drop 'the Mother of All Bombs'  (Read 489 times)

rangerrebew

US commander didn't ask permission to drop 'the Mother of All Bombs'
by Jamie McIntyre | Apr 14, 2017, 1:44 PM

The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan did not ask permission from the president before he ordered a massive conventional bomb to be dropped on a complex of tunnels used by ISIS fighters in a remote mountain region along the border with Pakistan, a senior defense official said Friday.

The GBU-43/B MOAB or massive ordnance air blast bomb, informally dubbed, the "Mother of All Bombs," is the largest non-nuclear bomb ever used in combat by the United States.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/commander-didnt-ask-permission-for-moab/article/2620309
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:25:57 am by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: US commander didn't ask permission to drop 'the Mother of All Bombs'
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 10:38:56 am »
Didn't need to ask permission. It's a conventional weapon, big sure, but still conventional. That leaves it's deployment to the discretion of the senior commander in theatre under the current RoE.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 03:35:19 pm »
0bama would have denied permission due to "disproportionate" force...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 03:07:22 am »
@Chosen Daughter
So perhaps the credit given Trump was a bit overdone. But I'll give him credit for giving commanders leeway.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 04:03:43 am »
@Chosen Daughter
So perhaps the credit given Trump was a bit overdone. But I'll give him credit for giving commanders leeway.

Directly ordering the dropping of one such bomb is much less aggressive than delegating to your subordinates the authority to use whenever they see fit.  That was an all-round excellent move by the President.