Author Topic: Scientists Have Created a Device That Sucks Water Out of Thin Air, Even in the Desert  (Read 724 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
When it comes to future challenges, one of the biggest will be water scarcity - on a warming planet we're going to have plenty of seawater, but not enough fresh, clean water in the right places for everybody to drink.

And while a lot of research has focussed on desalination, a team of scientists have now come up with another possible solution - a device that pulls fresh water out of thin air, even in places with humidity as low as 20 percent. All it needs is sunlight.

It might sound too good to be true, but so far the research is solid. Called the 'solar-powered harvester', the device was created by teams from MIT and the University of California, Berkeley, using a special type of material known as a metal-organic framework (MOF).

To be clear, it's only in the prototype phase right now and has been tested in pretty limited situations, but the results so far have just been published in Science.

"This is a major breakthrough in the long-standing challenge of harvesting water from the air at low humidity," said one of the researchers, Omar Yaghi from UC Berkeley.

"There is no other way to do that right now, except by using extra energy. Your electric dehumidifier at home 'produces' very expensive water."

Two-thirds of the world's population is currently experiencing a shortage of clean water, but it's estimated that there's about 13,000 trillion litres of water worldwide present in the air all around us.

So far the prototype device has been tested under conditions of 20 to 30 percent humidity, and was able to pull 2.8 litres (3 quarts) of water from the air over a 12- hour period, using 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of MOF.

Successful tests have also been conducted on the rooftop at MIT, showing that it works in real-world conditions.

The team says that the device could easily be scaled up to provide a family with their freshwater needs for the day.

More: http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-created-a-solar-powered-device-that-sucks-water-out-of-thin-air-even-in-the-desert
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Frank Cannon

I have had one of these magic devices for decades. It's called a dehumidifier.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
So they can coax water from air with Relative Humidity of down to 20%?  Swell.  I live in a real desert, and it rarely gets over 5% in the summer, with the exception of the 6 weeks or so of Monsoon.  At this moment, in the middle of "Spring," the humidity is 19%.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

geronl

They have wind turbines, turned by wind that powers something like an AC coil that causes condensation- water!
This technology has been around for a long, long time. It's more efficient (so far) than this new technology.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
So they can coax water from air with Relative Humidity of down to 20%?  Swell.  I live in a real desert, and it rarely gets over 5% in the summer, with the exception of the 6 weeks or so of Monsoon.  At this moment, in the middle of "Spring," the humidity is 19%.
It's a dry heat here too. 20% would be really humid. It's pretty much zip year round.
https://weatherspark.com/y/2142/Average-Weather-in-Boise-Idaho-United-States

I really doubt this invention would help Uncle Owen on Tatooine.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

We're at 40% here in Michigan and its a bright sunny day.

Offline Hurricane Andrew

I have had one of these magic devices for decades. It's called a dehumidifier.
:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

I was thinking the same thing!
There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Ah, the Moisture Farm.  Works great until you come back from somewhere and find your Aunt and Uncles burning bones.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: