Author Topic: Video of US-led air strike shows explosion of warehouses with chemical weapons  (Read 684 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Video of US-led air strike shows explosion of warehouses with chemical weapons

http://www.pravdareport.com/news/hotspots/terror/14-04-2017/137505-terrorists_chemical-0/

A video of the US airstrike on Syria has appeared on the Internet. The video, posted by Germany's Bild newspaper, shows a strike on terrorists' warehouses, where chemical weapons were stored. The explosion has led to catastrophic consequences, hundreds of people were killed.

snip

The airstrike has proved the fact, which the West prefers to ignore: ISIS terrorists possess chemical weapons.

snip
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Is Pravda off the reservation here?

Aren't they admitting to Russian incompetence?

@LonestarDream
@EC

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Bild has no airstrike videos that fit the description or screenshot in the past month. The video at the bottom was uploaded by a Russian sometime yesterday and shows a generic single shot airstrike, no target details and no aftermath.  :shrug:

Edit to add; bear in mind my German is rusty as hell. Not really needed it since the 80s.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:15:17 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
ISIS Used Chemical Arms at Least 52 Times in Syria and Iraq, Report Says
By ERIC SCHMITTNOV. 21, 2016

WASHINGTON — The Islamic State has used chemical weapons, including chlorine and sulfur mustard agents, at least 52 times on the battlefield in Syria and Iraq since it swept to power in 2014, according to a new independent analysis.

More than one-third of those chemical attacks have come in and around Mosul, the Islamic State stronghold in northern Iraq, according to the assessment by the IHS Conflict Monitor, a London-based intelligence collection and analysis service.

Continued: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/world/middleeast/isis-chemical-weapons-syria-iraq-mosul.html?_r=0

What seems a bit odd is the US, CentCom has not denied ISIS is using chemical weapons. That's been in the news. Pravda seems a bit in error here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/22/isil-jihadists-accused-of-new-gas-attacks-on-kurds-near-mosul/

Etc.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
ISIS has most definitely used chemical weapons, that's a matter of record. Mostly chlorine, since you can produce that anywhere with basic tools and materials.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Bild has no airstrike videos that fit the description or screenshot in the past month. The video at the bottom was uploaded by a Russian sometime yesterday and shows a generic single shot airstrike, no target details and no aftermath.  :shrug:

Yes. But what of the assertion that ISIS has chems? (Did this get overlooked by the censors in the "ok to publish")

I am pretty sure that Lavrov made one brief reference to the previous American administration at the opening of the presser with Tillerson.

Is Russia going to plead guilty to incompetence and somehow try to lay the blame at Obama's feet?

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
ISIS has most definitely used chemical weapons, that's a matter of record. Mostly chlorine, since you can produce that anywhere with basic tools and materials.

Sure. But I am interested in what the Russians are saying about it now.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yes. But what of the assertion that ISIS has chems? (Did this get overlooked by the censors in the "ok to publish")

I am pretty sure that Lavrov made one brief reference to the previous American administration at the opening of the presser with Tillerson.

Is Russia going to plead guilty to incompetence and somehow try to lay the blame at Obama's feet?

Good question regarding the blame laying - though laying the blame at the Worm's feet will have many willing accomplices (saying many cause I can't remember the world population offhand.  :tongue2: )

Russia is still trying to paint their innocence of any wrongdoing. It's a pretty transparent attempt at a whitewash by changing the subject.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

From last year in Iraq.

Iraqi officials: ISIS chemical weapons attacks kill child, wound 600

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/iraqi-officials-isis-chemical-weapons-attacks-kill-child-wound-600/

This story is from March of this year.

ISIS militants accused of using 'blistering chemical agent' in attacks in Mosul

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-isis-chemical-attack-mosul-20170304-story.html

Last September chemical attack on an American base

ISIS believed to have attacked US base in Iraq with chemical agent

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/09/21/isis-may-have-attacked-us-base-in-iraq-with-chemical-agent.html

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
From last year in Iraq.

I will try to find previous Russian statements about previous use of chems. But finding silence via search can be difficult.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Edit to add; bear in mind my German is rusty as hell. Not really needed it since the 80s.

You mean people need German to read the Bild?

9999what

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
 :tongue2:

The stories are different in the German and English versions. Sometimes a little, sometimes they're so far apart you have trouble relating the two. Bild is by far the worst for that of the European rags, especially since their english language version is an afterthought, rather than part of their core business.