Author Topic: Why Doesn’t College Work for Blacks?  (Read 1118 times)

rangerrebew

Why Doesn’t College Work for Blacks?
« on: April 14, 2017, 09:36:26 am »
Why Doesn’t College Work for Blacks?

Mona Charen
April 13, 2017

The headline was numbingly familiar: “For Blacks, College is Not An Equalizer.” The op-ed in the Washington Post by Ray Boshara explored what he called a “troubling paradox,” namely that so many well-educated black Americans “feel so economically insecure.”

It’s a startling fact, Boshara continued, “that blacks with college degrees have lost wealth over the past generation.” White college graduates “saw their wealth soar by 86 percent” between 1992 and 2013, while black college graduates experienced a loss of 55 percent over the same period.

https://ricochet.com/422634/doesnt-college-work-blacks/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:37:09 am by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Why Doesn’t College Work for Blacks?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 09:48:39 am »
Interesting article. Well stated and supported thesis.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 11:40:14 am »
Well, I wasn't expecting it to go down THAT road. Between this and another unrelated piece I just read, now I want to bash my head into a wall.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 05:45:26 pm »
I would say that unless they're brilliant scholars or pursuing STEM degrees, most people of whatever color are far better off going to trade schools rather that liberal arts colleges.  Liberal arts college degrees are almost worthless except for window dressing resumes for many grads.  The emphasis on placing undereducated blacks (or whites) in universities is stupid and counterproductive.
Learning how to fix a furnace or air-conditioner will provide much better financial wherewithal for your average high school grad than college.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 02:41:56 am by goatprairie »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 05:53:16 pm »
I would say that unless they're brilliant scholars or pursuing STEM degrees, most people of whatever color are far better off going to trade schools rather that liberal arts colleges.  Liberal arts college degrees are almost worthless except for window dressing resumes for many grads.  The emphasis on placing undereducated blacks (or whites) in universities is stupid and counterproductive.
Learning how to fix a furnace or air-conditioner will provide much better financial wherwithal for your average high school grad than college.

I agree with you 100%!  Liberal arts degrees are cash cows for the education racket but not worth much in the real world.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 06:17:15 pm »
Hernstein and Murray argued in "The Bell Curve," that blacks have average IQs of just 85, versus whites 100, Asians 105 etc.

Many blacks have been given entry to "higher education," more on Affirmative Action, than by pure merit.

They have also probably been graduated on Affirmative Action. The males drop out, then go to prison, and the females go to various government jobs, and give birth out of wedlock to "future inmates of America."

A subset of American life that is dysfunctional. This cycle continues. You can't make chicken salad, out of chicken sh!te. 85 is still 85.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 06:32:34 pm »
Hernstein and Murray argued in "The Bell Curve," that blacks have average IQs of just 85, versus whites 100, Asians 105 etc.

Many blacks have been given entry to "higher education," more on Affirmative Action, than by pure merit.

They have also probably been graduated on Affirmative Action. The males drop out, then go to prison, and the females go to various government jobs, and give birth out of wedlock to "future inmates of America."

A subset of American life that is dysfunctional. This cycle continues. You can't make chicken salad, out of chicken sh!te. 85 is still 85.

Scamming the system has become a huge part of black culture in this country since 1964!  Set up yo ho in da crib and keep her pregnant and she git a big check from Uncle sugar every month! Meanwhile you make tons of tax free cash on da street runnin hos and drugs!  Don'e need no degree for dat!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:52:40 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 07:14:18 pm »
Scamming the system has become a huge part of black culture in this country since 1964!  Set up yo ho in da crib and keep her pregnant and she git a big check from Uncle sugar every month! Meanwhile you make tons of tax free cash on da street runnin hos and drugs!  Don'e need no degree for dat!

"Puttin one over on The Man."  There is no greater thrill in life.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 07:59:28 pm »
"Puttin one over on The Man."  There is no greater thrill in life.

WE have allowed this to go on for three generations now and it HAS become a subculture that will take us all down if we don't begin the reversal real soon!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 08:05:32 pm »
WE have allowed this to go on for three generations now and it HAS become a subculture that will take us all down if we don't begin the reversal real soon!

Well, yeah.  The attitude is not limited to black people anymore.  Others see them getting away with it and declare themselves stupid for not puttin' one over for themselves.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 08:08:34 pm »
Well, yeah.  The attitude is not limited to black people anymore.  Others see them getting away with it and declare themselves stupid for not puttin' one over for themselves.

It never has been limited to only one group but inner city blacks have fully bought in to it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 08:08:41 pm »
I ran a testing and qualify control lab for a Fortune 200 company.  Fact was a lot of the testers who sat at the keyboards and tested were employees the business units felt they could do without.  I remember one young black lady who was working out her notice cause "she didn't get no promotion or raise I be goin where  I be preshiated."  She kept saying, "I have me a college degree".  But she couldn't write or speak a coherent sentence.  Imagine everything in the quotes in ubonics and you would have it.  Her writing skills were worse.  The 1st time she said, "I got me an edukshun", I said, "No way!"  I don't know how she got a degree but it was a waste of time and money for everyone involved.  There was a pattern of young ladies like her coming through the lab with degrees that had failed to teach them the most rudimentary skills.

During that time one of the professors at one of the local universities was shot by a black female student because he refused to change her F in Remedial English to an A. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 08:16:14 pm »
I ran a testing and qualify control lab for a Fortune 200 company.  Fact was a lot of the testers who sat at the keyboards and tested were employees the business units felt they could do without.  I remember one young black lady who was working out her notice cause "she didn't get no promotion or raise I be goin where  I be preshiated."  She kept saying, "I have me a college degree".  But she couldn't write or speak a coherent sentence.  Imagine everything in the quotes in ubonics and you would have it.  Her writing skills were worse.  The 1st time she said, "I got me an edukshun", I said, "No way!"  I don't know how she got a degree but it was a waste of time and money for everyone involved.  There was a pattern of young ladies like her coming through the lab with degrees that had failed to teach them the most rudimentary skills.

During that time one of the professors at one of the local universities was shot by a black female student because he refused to change her F in Remedial English to an A.

Every state university in Texas has a college of education attached.  They are cash cows for those universities and provide pretty pieces of paper to those who otherwise couldn't possibly ever earn one.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:16:41 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 08:21:01 pm »
Every state university in Texas has a college of education attached.  They are cash cows for those universities and provide pretty pieces of paper to those who otherwise couldn't possibly ever earn one.
Oh, absolutely. New York is very similar. They jack up the requirements so that you have to have a master's degree to regurgitate the same stuff you should've learned in high school, then profit. Is there any evidence that master's degree does a lick of good? Nope, but it gives the unions leverage for higher salaries.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 08:21:34 pm »
It never has been limited to only one group but inner city blacks have fully bought in to it.

Yep.  They've justified it in their own pea-brains by saying they're "owed."
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 08:23:52 pm »
Oh, absolutely. New York is very similar. They jack up the requirements so that you have to have a master's degree to regurgitate the same stuff you should've learned in high school, then profit. Is there any evidence that master's degree does a lick of good? Nope, but it gives the unions leverage for higher salaries.

It's the essence of "credentialism."
I will NOT comply.

geronl

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 08:26:48 pm »
The question itself shows what the answer is.

Stop expecting it to be handed to you on a silver platter, it requires actual work.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 08:27:14 pm »
It's the essence of "credentialism."

And we wonder why teacher's unions have so much political power!   :whistle:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2017, 08:36:16 pm »
I'd like to see a breakdown of areas of study, as well.

Outside of teaching there aren't too many jobs for liberal arts majors, while I'm sure blacks as others who obtain worthwhile degrees are doing just fine.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 08:40:11 pm »
White college graduates “saw their wealth soar by 86 percent” between 1992 and 2013, while black college graduates experienced a loss of 55 percent over the same period.

Could that be because whites have a higher percentage into the sciences and stem fields and blacks have higher enrollment in  degrees like  Communications?

Communications was the degree you transferred into after you could not hack engineering or business degrees or nursing.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 01:55:32 am »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 02:57:06 am »

I read a sad story about a year ago concerning a black student who was the star pupil at his inner city high school in LA or thereabouts. He was given a scholarship to Stanford or CalBerkeley.  He had a great attitude, and worked like a beaver to succeed at university.  But he kept failing his classes and had to eventually drop out.
The kid should have been going to a less rigorous college where he could have succeeded instead of being pushed into a school too hard for him by the idiot lib race hustlers who think they can  simply place an inadequate student in a tough college and he or she will succeed.
These failures are probably most of the black students now out protesting, screaming and yelling about racism and Evil Whitey. In truth they've been let down by their supposed benefactors, the most malignant force in the U.S., the progressive liberal.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:39:24 am by goatprairie »