Author Topic: Rear-view cameras on vehicles required by 2018  (Read 8252 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Rear-view cameras on vehicles required by 2018
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2017, 09:25:23 pm »
The only way to back up a Countach.

I know. I have had the opportunity.

This car was built right.

LOL! No it wasn't. I wouldn't own the thing if you paid me. It's a nightmare.

As a old hot rodder, looks are always over function in my book.

You can keep your book.
I have built or participated in building scratch-built full mod hot rods, 4x4 pickups, and 1/4 mile strip cars (superstreet, funny, and rail).
What matters always is how it works. Hell, with most of them, the body didn't even exist unitl after the machine was functionally finished.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:26:20 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2017, 10:11:47 pm »
I think we can all pretty much agree that mandating backup cameras (or anything else) is wrong, stupid, and against the basic tenants of conservatism.

Like a backup camera? Buy a car with one or install one. Don't like 'em? Don't buy 'em.
Pretty much the whole issue in a nutshell.

Let the driver decide.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2017, 12:45:47 am »
I am a maker myself, though not papered. I have always held out for the right thing, and have walked away from jobs where the design mods were to be intentionally compromised. I won't do it. I need to be able to sleep at night.

Sure there are compromises, but something mission critical is never ever tolerated. Prim a-donna, perhaps. Perfectionist, probably. I have been called worse. But I have never sold out the job.

Worry about the work, the money will come. 

Right. Imagine their surprise...

You may refuse to design it.  You should not compromise your standards if you can pay your own bills.

I have had a couple times I've refused the clients requests.  But always when there was no compromise to keep it safe. (a back up camera for example)

But it seems foolish to believe nobody is going to design the product that enough people want to buy.

Cheers

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2017, 01:07:07 am »
Cripple wrote:
"The people saying that you can't see out of the rear of modern cars aren't really helping their case, they're describing a design flaw that automakers should correct."

I've noticed that myself with small SUVs like the Toyota RAV.
The rear window, along with the quarter-panel windows above the rear tire, keep getting smaller, to the point of having little functionality ("functionality" being defined as having a window there so you can see what's outside of it).

Particularly with small SUVs, they all seem to be "of the same shape" lately, particularly towards the rear.

I'm guessing that this has something to do with wind resistance, and the need to lower the rear roofline to reduce resistance and improve fuel economy in order to meet ever-tightening and unrealistic regulations.

This won't change until the Trump administration (and hopefully Congress) rolls back fuel economy requirements to conform to the real world.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2017, 01:10:31 am »
But it seems foolish to believe nobody is going to design the product that enough people want to buy.

That is true. There's always going to be someone that doesn't care about the quality. But it ain't going to be me.

Cheers

Indeed. No fault no foul. It's just a passion of mine.