Author Topic: Iran election: Ahmadinejad registers despite Khamenei warning  (Read 494 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Former President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has registered as a candidate in Iran's presidential election, despite being told not to by the Supreme Leader.

Mr Ahmadinejad, a hardliner who served two terms between 2005 and 2013, filed paperwork for the 19 May poll at the interior ministry in Tehran.

Last year, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warned him that such a move was "not in his interest and that of the country".

But Mr Ahmadinejad told reporters on Tuesday that had been "just advice".

Associated Press journalists who witnessed Mr Ahmadinejad register on Tuesday said election officials were "stunned" when he submitted the paperwork.

President Hassan Rouhani, a moderate who negotiated a nuclear deal with world powers in 2015, is yet to register but is widely expected to seek a second term.

More than 120 people, including six women, submitted their names on the first day of registration on Monday, according to local media.

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-39576057

@Bigun Looks like the grip of the old men is weakening slightly, my brother.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Iran election: Ahmadinejad registers despite Khamenei warning
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 01:27:50 pm »
Former President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has registered as a candidate in Iran's presidential election, despite being told not to by the Supreme Leader.

Mr Ahmadinejad, a hardliner who served two terms between 2005 and 2013, filed paperwork for the 19 May poll at the interior ministry in Tehran.

Last year, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warned him that such a move was "not in his interest and that of the country".

But Mr Ahmadinejad told reporters on Tuesday that had been "just advice".

Associated Press journalists who witnessed Mr Ahmadinejad register on Tuesday said election officials were "stunned" when he submitted the paperwork.

President Hassan Rouhani, a moderate who negotiated a nuclear deal with world powers in 2015, is yet to register but is widely expected to seek a second term.

More than 120 people, including six women, submitted their names on the first day of registration on Monday, according to local media.

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-39576057

@Bigun Looks like the grip of the old men is weakening slightly, my brother.

@EC  I hope you are right but let's wait and see how Mr Ahmadinejad fares going forward.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 01:58:28 pm »
Thank you, Tom.

Last paragraph of your article is rather descriptive of the tiger the old men are riding in Iran right now:

As Therme concludes: "It's when things are unpredictable that you can make people think their vote matters -- this is critical to maintaining the facade of the Iranian elections. Take that away and people might start to see the whole process for what it really is -- and that is something the regime wants to avoid at all costs."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 02:02:46 pm »
At least, they have voter ID, yes, the system is likely rigged at the same time.

Note the blue on Ahmadinejad's finger.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:03:15 pm by TomSea »