Author Topic: Breaking: US military has dropped most powerful non-nuclear US bomb  (Read 4681 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Breaking: US military has dropped most powerful non-nuclear US bomb
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2017, 07:01:01 pm »
Dory Owen‏ @doryowen
Replying to @MisterSoapbox @MsEntropy

MOAB can cause deafness within 2 miles of strike. Shock waves can kill within 1 mile.

https://twitter.com/doryowen/status/852591212871733248

I'm not aware of whom this is or if this is true; just posting.

It almost made me wonder how this bomb would compare to the bomb dropped on Nagasaki for example; supposedly, it would not have radiation. I'll let the experts say.

Wingnut

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2017, 07:04:53 pm »
I'm not aware of whom this is or if this is true; just posting.

It almost made me wonder how this bomb would compare to the bomb dropped on Nagasaki for example; supposedly, it would not have radiation. I'll let the experts say.

I'm no expert, but.....from the NY Post 2003.

BOMB RADIUS DAMAGE

* Up to 1,000 yards: Obliterates everything.

* Up to 1 mile: Knocks people, tents, light buildings, cars and jeeps over within 1-mile radius.

* Up to 1.7 miles: shock wave kills people, causes severe damage to buildings, equipment, blows trucks, tanks off road.

* Up to 2 miles: causes deafness.

* Up to 5 miles: shakes ground, breaks windows.

* Up to 30 miles: 10,000 foot high mushroom cloud visible.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2003/030312-moab02.htm

Offline TomSea

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2017, 07:07:14 pm »
Thanks for the info @Wingnut

Wingnut

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2017, 08:09:18 pm »
David Wright‏ @DavidWright_CNN

Breaking: US military has dropped most powerful non-nuclear US bomb, MOAB, targeting ISIS in Nangarhar, Afghanistan -- first ever combat use

US military has dropped the largest non-nuclear weapon in its arsenal—21,000 lb. GBU-43 “mother of all bombs”—on ISIS complex in Afghanistan

The MOAB is not the largest bomb ever created. In the 1950s the United States manufactured the T-12, a 43,600-pound (19,800-kg) bomb that could be dropped from the B-36.

Wingnut

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2017, 08:24:38 pm »
The MOAB is not the largest bomb ever created. In the 1950s the United States manufactured the T-12, a 43,600-pound (19,800-kg) bomb that could be dropped from the B-36.

1950's eh?  Interesting.  Truman Probably wanted to drop it on Pyongyang back then.  I say it is only fair we send then the T-12's Lil Brother.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2017, 01:43:35 am »
You mean like: "Hitler never deployed MOABs"?

000hehehehe

I heard this is a Trump quote, it's not a real blooper but it's a bit funny.

"President Sisi has been someone who's very close to me from the first time I met him" -- Donald Trump

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2017, 02:28:50 am »
I thought there were a lot of deep tunnels they have been using. Giving the benefit of the doubt that this was more than just a message, maybe there was some intelligence of a high value target (be it a person(s) or object) buried deep in the tunnels.

Oh how the 1st Marines on Peleliu  would have welcomed one of these.   And yes it said that ISIS had tunneled in strongly in this provence.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline TomSea

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2017, 02:54:37 am »
I'd feel a bit uneasy being around it. I watched film on tv tonight of them dropping one of these bombs. I"m not sure if it was a video of today or perhaps it was film on file.

Couldn't help but think, that's a lot of folks likely departed in that instance but these guys are as bad as the Nazis, not as powerful by no means but just as evil.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2017, 03:25:50 am »
1950's eh?  Interesting.  Truman Probably wanted to drop it on Pyongyang back then.  I say it is only fair we send then the T-12's Lil Brother.

Turned out it wasn't the 50's.

The T-12 (also known as Cloudmaker) demolition bomb was developed by the United States from 1944 to 1948. It was one of a small class of bombs designed to attack targets invulnerable to conventional "soft" bombs, such as bunkers and viaducts. It achieved this by having an extremely thick hardened nose section, which was designed to penetrate deeply into hardened concrete structures and then detonate inside the target after a short time delay. This generated an "earthquake effect".

The T-12 was a further development of the concept initiated with the United Kingdom's Tallboy and Grand Slam weapons developed by the British aeronautical engineer Barnes Wallis during the Second World War: a hardened, highly aerodynamic bomb of the greatest possible weight designed to be dropped from the highest possible altitude. Penetrating deeply in the earth before exploding, the resulting shock wave was transmitted through the earth into structures. The resulting camouflet could also undermine structures. The bomb could also be used against hardened targets. These types of bombs can reach supersonic speeds and have tail fins designed to spin the bomb for greater accuracy.

Originally designed to meet a 42,000 lb (19,000 kg) target weight (the maximum payload for the Convair B-36 "Peacemaker" bomber), the original design with its hardened case was slightly less than 43,000 pounds. The final T-12 weighed 43,600 lb (nearly 20 metric tons). This was twice the size of the United States' previous largest bomb, the 22,000 lb M110 (T-14), the American-built version of the British Grand Slam. The T-12 was not a simple scale up of the M110, but incorporated modifications based on testing and calculations. The B-36 was redesigned so it could carry the T12, although a converted B-29 Superfortress was used for testing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-12_Cloudmaker

Offline TomSea

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2017, 04:48:27 am »
http://nypost.com/2017/04/13/us-says-nearly-800-isis-members-on-ground-when-mother-of-all-bombs-dropped/

800 ISIS members on ground when moab dropped.

The story says 600-800 on the ground in Afghanistand, not necessarly under the bomb.  But still there may be a virgin shortage for awhile.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Silver Pines

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2017, 10:44:35 am »
We're watching our local early news show, and they're reporting via ABC that 36 ISIS members were killed.

Only 36?!  Seriously?  I don't want to believe that's true, because if it is, it's horribly disappointing.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2017, 10:49:27 am »
We're watching our local early news show, and they're reporting via ABC that 36 ISIS members were killed.

Only 36?!  Seriously?  I don't want to believe that's true, because if it is, it's horribly disappointing.

This is why you only destroy the entrances. The scum keep coming back to dig them out.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2017, 10:57:26 am »

36?  At a $16M price tag that is over $400,000 per kill.  We need more efficiency than that Mr. Trump.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Silver Pines

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2017, 02:47:59 pm »
@EC
@catfish1957

I was hoping for hundreds, at least.  Nothing shocks me these days, but that number does.

I just heard Beck speculate that the MOAB was dropped as a message to North Korea.  Who the hell knows anymore...

Wingnut

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2017, 02:51:56 pm »
36?  At a $16M price tag that is over $400,000 per kill.  We need more efficiency than that Mr. Trump.

I look at it this way.....You know when you firebomb a Fire ant mound....you only see the dead ones that are on the outside.    Who is going to waste time excavating the mound to get an accurate body count?  The US? Hardley.  ISIS....You can't dig if'n you're dead.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2017, 05:27:38 pm »
I remind one, our soldiers are in the area as well. Whether this sad death of the Green Beret played into this, to me, it's a sidenote.

'Right time' to use huge bomb in Afghanistan: U.S. general
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-afghanistan-bomb-idUSKBN17F27U

In March, U.S. forces conducted 79 "counterterror strikes" against Islamic State in Nangarhar, killing as many as 200 militants, according to the U.S. military command in Kabul.

U.S. military officials estimate there are about 600 to 800 Islamic State fighters in Afghanistan, mostly in Nangarhar, but also in the neighboring province of Kunar.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2017, 01:28:01 am »
I look at it this way.....You know when you firebomb a Fire ant mound....

How do you I know that?  I think the gubmit must be watching me. :silly:

Seriously, Kerosene is safer.

And is far as flies, wasps, and other flying pests.....  The MOAB of fly swatters.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.