Author Topic: Misdirected coalition strike kills 18 partner forces in Syria: officials  (Read 515 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Misdirected coalition strike kills 18 partner forces in Syria: officials
AFP | Published — Thursday 13 April 2017
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Google+Share to WhatsAppShare to Reddit

WASHINGTON: A US-led coalition air strike in support of local forces fighting the Daesh group in northern Syria accidentally killed 18 of the friendly fighters, the coalition said Thursday.
“The strike was requested by the partnered forces, who had identified the target location as an ISIS fighting position,” a coalition statement read.

“The target location was actually a forward Syrian Democratic Forces fighting position.”
The strike occurred south of Tabqa on April 11.

Continued: http://www.arabnews.com/node/1083781/world 

Hate these stories.  **nononono*

Offline Rivergirl

And we thought Spicer was the most incompetent face in the crowd.

Offline Suppressed

Hate these stories.  **nononono*

Have to wonder whether it was some of our Islamist "partners" who fingered the SDF position.  Is that wrong of me?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

It's being reported by AFP and here is Middle East Eye reporting it now:
US coalition kills 18 members of Kurdish forces fighting IS

US coalition offered its 'deepest condolences' to members of the SDF fighting the Islamic State group

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/us-coalition-kil-18-members-kurdish-force-fighting-226111715

You set up logistics, you go into somewhere, friendly fire, maintenance accidents, burn pit, lots of ways to go sadly.

Offline TomSea

Have to wonder whether it was some of our Islamist "partners" who fingered the SDF position.  Is that wrong of me?

It sure wasn't Assad who partnered with Islamists to kill American soldiers; has a park in Damascus dedicated to grand daddy Park.

Offline TomSea

In seriousness, SDF is mainly Kurdish, then it has Christians too and I suppose Muslims. Our camps in Syria train the rebels; the camp that came under attack the other day was one. We are there, we are not sending in a large contingent as some hawks want.

Offline TomSea

Syrian Democratic Forces Earn 'Best Partnered Forces' Praise from U.S. Special Ops
By Bridget Johnson April 7, 2017
chat 38 comments
An SDF fighter fires at an ISIS position. (SDF video screenshot)

A senior advisor to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joe Dunford gave his boss a glowing a review of the discipline, training and morale of the multi-sectarian, multi-ethnic fighting coalition currently bearing down on ISIS' capital in Syria.

The Syrian Democratic Forces -- an anti-ISIS, anti-Qaeda, anti-Assad coalition composed of more than 50,000 fighters, female and male commanders, Arabs, Assyrian Christians, Kurds, and other minority ethnic groups -- launched the Wrath of Euphrates operation at the beginning of November. Since then, the SDF has liberated more than 5,000 square miles of territory in the painstaking push to encircle and choke off Raqqa before moving in.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/2017/04/07/syrian-democratic-forces-earn-best-partnered-forces-praise-from-u-s-special-ops/

I didn't know they'd describe them as being "anti-Assad"

Offline Rivergirl

Prayers up.  These Kurdish people are targeted by Turkey.    Saddam Hussein killed them with poison gas.
A tragic loss of life.