Author Topic: Windows as a service? Now, there’s an argument for Linux  (Read 5784 times)

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Windows as a service? Now, there’s an argument for Linux
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2017, 12:08:29 am »
Just don't click "Install" by accident while checking it out

Every bootable Linux I've tried mounts Ntfs file systems as read only.

Online DB

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2017, 12:17:48 am »
You're right, of course... Signing into a local account (rather than the online account MS clearly desires @ install), and uninstalling all the bouncy-jangly 'apps', and locking down security and privacy via standard settings, will give you something approximating Win7's traffic on the net.

The only real bitch I have is the opaque and uncontrolled update process. I bought an Alienware box that I am currently reinstalling... Something in the drivers is breaking it... After four installs crapping out, I am getting close to an answer, but the reason I can see it at all is because it is Win7... I would hate to have a similar problem on win10.

@roamer_1

Win7 has a real stupid problem regarding initial updates after being newly installed. The Win7 Windows Update task crashes when there are too many updates available from Microsoft. You have to manually download and install these service packs after you install Win7 but before you let it go out and do automatic updates. It caused me a bunch of pain...

KB3050265 & KB3135445 (install them in that order)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:19:46 am by DB »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2017, 02:04:01 am »
catfish wrote:
"2 years now with a Mac.....No problems..."

You're on the right track.
30 years now with Macs... and no problems, either!
(I don't do Windows. Although I did some "windows" today, outside, with Glass Plus!)

Aside:
Regarding malware, I suggest "MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Mac". Strange name, but it's free, and works well.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:04:17 am by Fishrrman »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2017, 03:38:32 am »
@roamer_1

Win7 has a real stupid problem regarding initial updates after being newly installed. The Win7 Windows Update task crashes when there are too many updates available from Microsoft. You have to manually download and install these service packs after you install Win7 but before you let it go out and do automatic updates. It caused me a bunch of pain...

KB3050265 & KB3135445 (install them in that order)

Thanks @DB , But I already knew... There is something in Intel's Storage matrix driver... and the bluetooth driver... I have gone 7 ways to sunday, but it seems I have to install Win7 gold. install the chipset and the vid, and the bluetooth... THEN let the dang thing update until those drivers hit the 'optional drivers' ... Let their updates install... Then 265 and 445, THEN I can do SP1

I don't know if that is perfectly true, but I am close.

Serves me right, buying an Alienware box... but an i7, standalone Radeon vid, and 32g RAM lured me in... Hard to find all that in a laptop for 150 bucks...

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2017, 03:51:11 am »
Ah for crying out loud. Not another infomercial for Linux. You guys are worse than the damn Moonies.

Online DB

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2017, 04:12:05 am »
Thanks @DB , But I already knew... There is something in Intel's Storage matrix driver... and the bluetooth driver... I have gone 7 ways to sunday, but it seems I have to install Win7 gold. install the chipset and the vid, and the bluetooth... THEN let the dang thing update until those drivers hit the 'optional drivers' ... Let their updates install... Then 265 and 445, THEN I can do SP1

Serves me right, buying an Alienware box... but an i7, standalone Radeon vid, and 32g RAM lured me in... Hard to find all that in a laptop for 150 bucks...

Doesn't Dell have the drivers for it?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 05:32:33 am »
Doesn't Dell have the drivers for it?

@DB
Sort of... The drivers I have (with the exception of vid) are from Dell. Problem is that they are original drivers.
I have tried Intel drivers direct, but the stuff won't run w/o sp1, and sp1 won't let the updates, not because of KBs, but because Intel's storage matrix breaks it. I can't find a newer driver for the bluetooth, although it is available through Win updates...

I take it there's revisions in between that allow it to take sp1... revisions I can't seem to find easily...
So the method I detailed seems to be what I have to do.

geronl

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 05:43:39 am »
They sell these Chrome book type Win 10 computers now, with very little memory and stuff. The OS and its related crap takes up around half the memory (sometimes a HDD, SSD or some sort of memory card inside the unit). Seeing the customer reviews was enough to keep me away, lol. I don't understand what market segment is looking to buy computers with little memory and little RAM.

geronl

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2017, 05:45:23 am »

Where was that??

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 05:50:47 am »
Where was that??

A private sale... It's used and old. The problem with bleeding-edge machinery... It's bleeding edge. A lot of times the hardware goes through quick revisions, and the drivers can be a nightmare. I shouldn't ought to have done it. I know better.  :shrug:

But, I can sell the ram and the hdd for what I have in it... So I am not hurting... other than from banging my head on the KB.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 05:52:18 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2017, 10:31:21 am »
Ah for crying out loud. Not another infomercial for Linux. You guys are worse than the damn Moonies.

Don't like it, don't read it.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2017, 10:33:41 am »
Seriously thinking about it

We do here as it's more professional. Word documents are a little more "editable".

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2017, 11:06:32 am »
We do here as it's more professional. Word documents are a little more "editable".

Depends on the end use of the report if it's more professional.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 11:21:09 pm »

What gen i7?

Offline roamer_1

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2017, 01:16:14 am »
The NSA  files that were leaked are a huge issue for windows.  Numerous zero days which have no fix currently.  I wouldn't doubt that the us govt was paying Microsoft to leave some of these holes open.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:16:49 am by driftdiver »
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.