Author Topic: Windows as a service? Now, there’s an argument for Linux  (Read 5785 times)

Offline ShadowAce

Windows as a service? Now, there’s an argument for Linux
« on: April 13, 2017, 02:21:28 pm »
From ComputerWorld  :

Expert Windows writer Ed Bott recently pointed out that the “Windows as a Service” tagline for Windows 10 isn’t just a marketing line. He’s right.

Now, Microsoft is not ready to offer a true Windows-as-a-service offering where you’d be running your desktop from the cloud. Not yet, anyway. But if Microsoft were to buy Citrix, that would be another story.

Yes, you’ve heard that Citrix rumor forever and a day, but it looks as if Microsoft may finally do it. The combination always made sense, but with former Microsoft executive Kirill Tatarinov now in charge of Citrix as president and CEO, Microsoft has its man on the inside.

Additionally, Citrix has just started offering Xen Desktop Essentials. This latest Xen program enables you to manage Windows 10 remote desktops from Azure for $12 per user per month. Earlier, in 2016, Microsoft enabled some of its partners to offer enterprise editions of Windows 10 — Windows 10 Enterprise E3 and E5 — from the cloud.

I should also mention there’s a new version of Windows 10, dubbed “Cloud,” coming. Don’t be misled by the name. This appears to be a re-baked version of the failed Windows RT. It looks like it has the same goal: grabbing back market share from Chromebooks. Good luck with that, Microsoft.

In the meantime, even as true cloud-based Windows 10 desktops start rolling out, Bott pointed out that users already have far less control over “their” Windows 10 desktops. For example, if you’re running Windows 7 SP1, you haven’t had any major changes in six years. Now, that’s stability. Windows 10? The upgrade cycle is now about 18 months. More annoying still, while you can defer the upgrades, you can’t refuse them.

As for patches, you can’t refuse them either. It’s all or nothing. God help you if you have mission-critical applications or hardware that’s broken by a new patch collection. You can’t roll back the one bad patch to fix compatibility problems anymore.

If you’re a sysadmin, you’re already seeing this happening. It’s only going to get worse as Microsoft takes charge of “your” desktops.

What can you do? Well, you can keep your Windows 7 machines staggering on, but Microsoft has changed 7‘s patching to a roll-up model as well if you use Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).

Or you could switch to Macs. <Crickets> OK, so much for that idea. Besides, the notion of moving from Microsoft to Apple if in search of more control of your system is a bad joke.

So, if you really, really want to control your desktop moving forward, there’s only one choice: Linux.

I know, I know. I can hear your screaming from here. But think about it. Do you have another choice?

I’ve been happily using Linux desktops for decades. They work. In fact, they work well.

In particular, I recommend Linux Mint. It’s stable, it works like a fine-tuned watch, and it’s free. If you use the Cinnamon desktop, your users will think they’ve traveled back in time to the Windows XP desktop.

Applications are easy to set up. These days, you just download and install them from an app store.

Linux programs are also simple to use. Personally, I find that LibreOffice works just fine for office work. It’s latest version, 5.3.2, works better than ever with Microsoft Office’s OpenXML formats. And there’s always Google Docs.

What’s that? You can’t live without Microsoft Office? Then don’t. You can run Office 365 on Linux. For that matter, when a user pointed out that OneDrive ran like a dog on Linux, Microsoft fixed it. Yes, you read that right. Microsoft fixed a serious bug with how a Microsoft app ran on Linux.

Much as I like the Linux desktop, there are real problems with deploying it in business. For example, Mint, my personal favorite, doesn’t offer corporate support. You can get business support from other Linux distributors, such as Canonial (Ubuntu), SUSE and Red Hat, for their distributions.

It’s also not as easy to get Linux pre-installed on desktops. There are specialty Linux PC vendors, such as System76 and ZaReason. But of the major PC vendors, Dell is the only one that makes a point of selling ready-to-run Linux PCs. You can get Linux desktops and laptops from other top vendors, including HP and Lenovo, but they don’t make it easy.

All that said, if you really want your IT department to be in charge of your PCs and not Microsoft (or Apple, or Google with Chromebooks), it’s time to start seriously considering the Linux option. There really are no other viable alternatives.

Offline ShadowAce

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Windows as a service? Now, there’s an argument for Linux
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 02:27:29 pm »
The only thing stopping me now is file compatibility with my customers.   I write a lot of reports, if I send them to a customer and they don't convert to windows version of office then I'm screwed.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 02:31:24 pm »
Microsoft would be smart to offer their software free on their devices, including Office.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 02:42:12 pm »
Microsoft would be smart to offer their software free on their devices, including Office.

Isn't that where they make any profit?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 02:48:25 pm »

OTOH as a PC owner who ran MS programs and systems (DOS, Windows 2.X through 7) on my computers (1984- 2015), the last straw was losing a 2 month old PC to malware and viruses, no matter how safe I browsed, or how much I spent on Virus/Malware protection.

2 years now with a Mac.....No problems.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:49:43 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 02:59:27 pm »
From ComputerWorld  :

So, if you really, really want to control your desktop moving forward, there’s only one choice: Linux.

I’ve been happily using Linux desktops for decades. They work. In fact, they work well.

In particular, I recommend Linux Mint. It’s stable, it works like a fine-tuned watch, and it’s free. If you use the Cinnamon desktop, your users will think they’ve traveled back in time to the Windows XP desktop.

Applications are easy to set up. These days, you just download and install them from an app store.

Linux programs are also simple to use.

Interesting points.  Have been very tempted to switch to Linux, but perception has always been it's a pain.  I already spend too much time helping my computer illiterate spouse on the PC.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 03:25:44 pm »

You can structure your business any way you want. IMHO, this is how they should structure it.

Get a two-fer on hardware and software to businesses.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 04:31:39 pm »

OTOH as a PC owner who ran MS programs and systems (DOS, Windows 2.X through 7) on my computers (1984- 2015), the last straw was losing a 2 month old PC to malware and viruses, no matter how safe I browsed, or how much I spent on Virus/Malware protection.

2 years now with a Mac.....No problems.

Sure Mac makes a great user friendly product.   They have issues in business due to compatibility and inability to meet compliance requirements.

There are a myriad of insecurities on Mac products though.  Go read their security bulletins.  They have vulnerabilities they don't plan to fix.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 04:44:48 pm »
Sure Mac makes a great user friendly product.   They have issues in business due to compatibility and inability to meet compliance requirements.

There are a myriad of insecurities on Mac products though.  Go read their security bulletins.  They have vulnerabilities they don't plan to fix.

I haven't been "in the know" as much as I used to, but I have a hard time believing iOS has more security issues than MS operating systems.  Just from my own experiences the past 5 years.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 05:00:24 pm »
Interesting points.  Have been very tempted to switch to Linux, but perception has always been it's a pain.  I already spend too much time helping my computer illiterate spouse on the PC.

I've run nothing but Linux for a couple of decades.  Running Mint now; my wife has no trouble with it, and she's not a computer person at all.  My advice: get/make a Linux live CD or bootable USB stick, then boot off that and try it out.  It'll be a bit slower than a hard drive installation, but it'll let you kick the tires without making any changes to the system.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

geronl

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 05:09:16 pm »
I've run nothing but Linux for a couple of decades.  Running Mint now; my wife has no trouble with it, and she's not a computer person at all.  My advice: get/make a Linux live CD or bootable USB stick, then boot off that and try it out.  It'll be a bit slower than a hard drive installation, but it'll let you kick the tires without making any changes to the system.

Just don't click "Install" by accident while checking it out

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 05:15:11 pm »
Just don't click "Install" by accident while checking it out

@Doug Loss

Will it resurrect a dead dust collector sitting here in the corner? (i.e boot off USB?)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 05:20:26 pm »

Good information.  I didn't want to use Linux, but will if MS actually goes there.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 05:21:42 pm »
@Doug Loss

Will it resurrect a dead dust collector sitting here in the corner? (i.e boot off USB?)

If the problem is a dead hard drive, possibly.  First, the BIOS would have to support booting off a USB device.  If you can do that, make sure there are no other obvious problems, then try installing Linux from the USB stick (there should be an icon for the installer on the desktop).  Maybe it can get around the problem with the hard drive.  If that's not the actual problem, then we'd need more information to make a useful guess.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 05:26:27 pm »
If the problem is a dead hard drive, possibly.  First, the BIOS would have to support booting off a USB device.  If you can do that, make sure there are no other obvious problems, then try installing Linux from the USB stick (there should be an icon for the installer on the desktop).  Maybe it can get around the problem with the hard drive.  If that's not the actual problem, then we'd need more information to make a useful guess.

Thanks I will give it a try later.

geronl

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 05:26:45 pm »
Good information.  I didn't want to use Linux, but will if MS actually goes there.

Maybe not, but a CD-DVD live disc might work and you can use the USB for storage (?)

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 08:23:24 pm »

If it is an XP box, you will likely not be very happy. It will likely run, but the hardware from that era will be too slow.

If it is a later Vista box or newer, especially if it is capable of 64bit - Yes, by all means... Fix the box and shovel Mint into it (full installation). It's the best way to learn it, IMHO. I refit retired machines precisely for that purpose all the time.

So yeah, try a live cd or live thumb in it... If it all works, don't be afraid to install it.

geronl

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 08:24:49 pm »
I think my next Linux box will get Steam OS.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 09:56:53 pm »
The only thing stopping me now is file compatibility with my customers.   I write a lot of reports, if I send them to a customer and they don't convert to windows version of office then I'm screwed.

Ever thought of sending your reports in PDF or ODF?

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 09:58:47 pm »

My spouse just switched her laptop to Linux Mint.  I installed VMware Player so she could run TurboTax.  Took a little tweaking to get it to run at a decent performance but once done, has not been an issue.  Mother-in-law also converted to Mint

Online DB

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 10:36:20 pm »
It seems MS is bent on pushing its long time customers into a corner and I will not comply. I started with DOS 2.00 and a PC-1 (the very first model of the IBM PC). I'm an engineer that uses it as a tool demanding heavy graphic and numerical calculations and must be very stable. I'm using Windows 7 and refuse to go to 8, 8.1 or 10.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 11:00:57 pm »
Ever thought of sending your reports in PDF or ODF?

Seriously thinking about it

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 11:34:24 pm »
So much ridiculousness (and uninformed) stupidity about Windows 10 in that article. First off, there are ways around both telemetry and updates, for example, a few entries into the hosts files will stop all communication between your PC and Microsoft if you want it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 11:35:40 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 11:43:14 pm »
So much ridiculousness (and uninformed) stupidity about Windows 10 in that article. First off, there are ways around both telemetry and updates, for example, a few entries into the hosts files will stop all communication between your PC and Microsoft if you want it.

You're right, of course... Signing into a local account (rather than the online account MS clearly desires @ install), and uninstalling all the bouncy-jangly 'apps', and locking down security and privacy via standard settings, will give you something approximating Win7's traffic on the net.

The only real bitch I have is the opaque and uncontrolled update process. I bought an Alienware box that I am currently reinstalling... Something in the drivers is breaking it... After four installs crapping out, I am getting close to an answer, but the reason I can see it at all is because it is Win7... I would hate to have a similar problem on win10.