Author Topic: Navy SEALs fight enemy within: Elite force sees ‘staggering’ rise of drug abuse  (Read 687 times)

rangerrebew

Navy SEALs fight enemy within: Elite force sees ‘staggering’ rise of drug abuse

By Douglas Ernst - The Washington Times - Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The ranks of one of the nation’s most elite war-fighters — the Navy SEALs — are struggling with a drug abuse problem.

One active-duty SEAL and two retired members recently came forward to discuss a “growing” drug problem within their special operations forces community. The issue was serious enough in December to warrant a training stand-down to address the matter.

“People that we know of, that we hear about have tested positive for cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, marijuana, ecstasy,” one SEAL told CBS News Tuesday. “That’s a problem.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/12/navy-seals-fight-enemy-within-elite-force-sees-sta/
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:02:56 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The SEAL's had some major disciplinary-type issues in the late 80's, early 90's.  Too much of a "cowboy" mindset.  The current flood of leaks/self-promotion coming from the SEAL community, versus the comparative tight-lipped professionalism coming from the rest of the Spec Ops community, suggests they may need another semi-purge.

Offline Frank Cannon

The SEAL's had some major disciplinary-type issues in the late 80's, early 90's.  Too much of a "cowboy" mindset.  The current flood of leaks/self-promotion coming from the SEAL community, versus the comparative tight-lipped professionalism coming from the rest of the Spec Ops community, suggests they may need another semi-purge.

I'm always surprised at how much "tell all" stuff comes from the SEALS. Hell, there is an Osama book coming out now. It used to be these stories were kept under lock and key until all the primaries were dead.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
I'm always surprised at how much "tell all" stuff comes from the SEALS. Hell, there is an Osama book coming out now. It used to be these stories were kept under lock and key until all the primaries were dead.
I'm still under obligation to my signed Non-disclosure agreements, 14 years after retiring from the service...I wonder if I'll ever be able to tell my family about my work, but they've come to accept that this may never happen.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Joe Wooten

I'm still under obligation to my signed Non-disclosure agreements, 14 years after retiring from the service...I wonder if I'll ever be able to tell my family about my work, but they've come to accept that this may never happen.

I was always surprised at some of the sea stories the former sub sailors would tell during late night bull sessions while waiting to get started testing at nuke plants back in the 1980's. These guys had some very interesting tales, and I had many of the same ones told to me by different guys who served on the same boats at the same time.

Offline Frank Cannon

I was always surprised at some of the sea stories the former sub sailors would tell during late night bull sessions while waiting to get started testing at nuke plants back in the 1980's. These guys had some very interesting tales, and I had many of the same ones told to me by different guys who served on the same boats at the same time.

That's a hell of a lot different than writing a book or talking to a reporter.