Author Topic: Yes, 50 million years ago the earth was hotter. Here's why climate change is still a major problem  (Read 700 times)

rangerrebew

Yes, 50 million years ago the earth was hotter. Here's why climate change is still a major problem

We've got 99 problems and CO2 is number one
By Kendra Pierre-Louis April 5, 2017

More or less what we're currently doing to the earth.

If we do nothing to reduce our carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, by the end of this century the Earth will be as hot as it was 50 million years ago in the early Eocene, according to a new study out today in the journal Nature Communications. This period—roughly 15 million years after dinosaurs went extinct and 49.8 million years before modern humans appeared on the scene—was 16F to 25F warmer than the modern norm.

Climate change doubters often point to these earlier temperature shifts as a way of rebutting the scientific evidence that climate change is caused by human activity. And yes, less than a million years ago parts of the Midwest were covered in glaciers, while 56 million years ago the Arctic was warm enough that crocodiles roamed Greenland. All of this is true.

http://www.popsci.com/carbon-emissions-warming
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:32:38 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
And their predictions have been so accurate in the past that I just have to believe everything they say. /sarc
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I predict that Climate Change fanatics, will NOT live to find out if they are right or wrong.

If I was presented with the choice of a) trying to reverse/hold back rising sea levels, or b) moving inland to higher ground, I'd opt for the latter.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

Climate change cult fanatics will stop at nothing to suppress those who disagree with them and point out that they lack almost all evidence for anthropogenic climate change.

Offline DB

And yes, less than a million years ago parts of the Midwest were covered in glaciers ...

Well actually it was only about 13,000 years ago. They are already twisting the truth at that point.

We are in fact in the middle of an ice age right now. We just happen to be in an interglacial period in this current ice age. In an interglacial period glaciers retreat... Imagine that... But somehow retreating glaciers is a sign of abnormal activity... "Science" has gone insane...