Author Topic: Scientists Warn of Climate Apocalypse: CO2 Emissions Will Send Earth Back to ‘Triassic Period’  (Read 1107 times)

rangerrebew

Scientists Warn of Climate Apocalypse: CO2 Emissions Will Send Earth Back to ‘Triassic Period’

by Thomas D. Williams, Ph.D.8 Apr 20171538

The unchecked use of fossil fuels will produce a climate not seen since the Triassic period about 200 million years ago, researchers warn in a new report.

The culprit for this unprecedented warming is atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2), suggest researchers led by the University of Southampton in the UK, which by the year 2250 could reach levels equivalent to those of the “age of reptiles,” when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/04/08/scientists-warn-climate-apocalypse-co2-emissions-send-earth-back-triassic-period/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 10:48:59 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Hot diggety! Will it put the continents back, too?

An environment like that should be good for us 'dinosaurs'!  :tongue2:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
By the year 2250 these scientific "predictions" are going to look about as foolish as 19th century science looks today. 

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
By the year 2250 these scientific "predictions" are going to look about as foolish as 19th century science looks today.

They already look that foolish.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Oceander

Offline bolobaby

Wait... back to the age of the dinosaurs? You mean when the conditions on earth were so conducive to life that flora AND fauna grew to monstrous sizes?

Hmmm...

These Global Warming folks are against plants AND animals!
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline montanajoe

Hell..predict tomorrows weather and maybe I'd notice the scientists warnings...oh I forgot climate change doesn't mean weather..its that next grant :shrug:

Offline Suppressed

Hell..predict tomorrows weather and maybe I'd notice the scientists warnings...oh I forgot climate change doesn't mean weather..its that next grant :shrug:

@montanajoe

Non-sequitur.   If you can't predict the stock market for tomorrow, or exactly how much the government spends the next day, does that mean we can't foresee that deficit spending will lead to disaster or even just an increased debt?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

@montanajoe

Non-sequitur.   If you can't predict the stock market for tomorrow, or exactly how much the government spends the next day, does that mean we can't foresee that deficit spending will lead to disaster or even just an increased debt?
That assumes continued deficit spending with no hiatus or reversal.

As the records show, temperature has been known to decrease on a global scale, also. If you pick the right data interval, you can predict anything from a frozen earth to sure incineration extrapolating the data. If you massage the data, you can make your predictions even more dire. For the past 16 years an unexpected flat spot in the 'ever increasing temperature' curve has been noted. Is this a new trend? A reversal of previous trends? A mere pause on the way to Earth, the Cinder?

230 years is long look ahead. We really don't know enough to predict that future.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:49:01 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

lush rain forests will cover the earth and insects will become huge??

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
So if I understand this correctly, we could set fire to huge piles of coal and the rising tides would put most California cities 10 feet under water.

Is there a downside?

Offline Smokin Joe

So if I understand this correctly, we could set fire to huge piles of coal and the rising tides would put most California cities 10 feet under water.

Is there a downside?
We'd be ash deep in ash...but we could add that into the concrete we use in the roads, so we can drive petroleum burning vehicles with large displacement engines and lots of horsepower. Go big enough, who needs a 'road'?

We could burn the BTU equivalent in natural gas and it wouldn't have any effect, unless, that is, it was burned on oil well production sites located in areas of extremely low population density where it is known to propel the planet out of orbit toward the Sun and will incinerate us all somewhere around Tuesday next.

It works like those product labels which say "This product contains a substance known to cause cancer in the State of California". Just one more reason to NOT live in California, IMHO, darned near everything causes cancer there.

Or: "Don't kill those poor animals for food, get your meat at the store like everyone else."

Or wearing fur. (I really don't see why not, the animal isn't using it any more, and it would seem such a waste to just throw it away.) To protest someone else using the fur, people throw blood on the fur. Where did they get the blood? Oh. Animals. (Maybe the animals needed that?) Animals who didn't have 'fur' and were not all cute and snuggly looking like grizzly bears and wolverines and coyotes and wolves.  Not meany tears shed over a pair of rattlesnake boots...

And then there are the ones who carry signs that say "I don't need oil. I ride the bus."

It all depends on who you are talking to, how this stuff works.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

That assumes continued deficit spending with no hiatus or reversal.

As the records show, temperature has been known to decrease on a global scale, also. If you pick the right data interval, you can predict anything from a frozen earth to sure incineration extrapolating the data. If you massage the data, you can make your predictions even more dire. For the past 16 years an unexpected flat spot in the 'ever increasing temperature' curve has been noted. Is this a new trend? A reversal of previous trends? A mere pause on the way to Earth, the Cinder?

230 years is long look ahead. We really don't know enough to predict that future.

Random fluctuations on an overall increasing trend can lead to pauses or periods of decrease.  So those who say it disproves warming are wrong.  But you're right, it also could be something other than just a pause.

An intriguing ad for a piece on the Triassic Period appeared on YouTube for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M69zQUofctw

I also find it sobering to think that the time between Stegosaurus and Tyrannosaurus is greater than the time from Tyrannosaurus to now.  And when you go back to the Triassic dinosaurs, they're further removed from Tyrannosaurus and his friends.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:01:23 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Frankly the Triassic period doesn't sound so bad.

Much of the land was desert then but that was mostly the result of it all being one large supercontinent. I suspect it would mean less desert in the modern world. A warmer wetter world is something I can get behind.

Offline Suppressed

Much of the land was desert then but that was mostly the result of it all being one large supercontinent. I suspect it would mean less desert in the modern world. A warmer wetter world is something I can get behind.

Death wish, eh?

Humans couldn't survive the 10-15% atmospheric oxygen levels of the Triassic (arguably, we could survive at about 12.5%, but not being active).

+++++++++

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Death wish, eh?

Humans couldn't survive the 10-15% atmospheric oxygen levels of the Triassic (arguably, we could survive at about 12.5%, but not being active).

LOL oh yeah there are plenty of things in the Triassic that wouldn't be good for us but the temperatures we could survive.

Offline Smokin Joe

Actually, from studying the rocks deposited in this region from the Cambrian up, there were relatively few times in geologic history where this would have been a pleasant place to be (defining now as "pleasant", YMMV) and not many more it would have been survivable for a human without even considering the flora and fauna. For instance, 300 ft. of salt not only implies a large body of marine water prior to evaporation, but conditions like the Utah salt flats--only over a much larger area and more consistent duration. Longer period of carbonate tidal flats bespeak even more hostile environments, eras of submergence, the red beds which indicate arid and oxidizing environments, punctuated by salt and anhydrite deposits from evaporation of slat water, and even the time period represented by the Bakken, indicating a vast basin with little or no oxygen and die-offs, or much later Quaternary sediments left by two mile thick ice sheets.

Nope. We live in a wonderful window of relatively nice weather. That, too will change. Which ever tack the climate takes, however we will not be able to survive by shedding the means to use energy which is certain (stored chemically in coal, natural gas, and petroleum) for the vagaries of methods which require constant wind within a specific velocity range or sunshine. That, too will change, and those fixed platforms that depend on the weather might not be in the right place any more to be of utility.

Despite all the ballyhoo, it is the warmer times in which humanity flourishes. We explore, find and develop resources, to the degree we have the surpluses which allow for specialization and advancements in something other than subsistence. It is here we make progress in the arts, science, and technology. Not when we are scratching for unblighted potatoes or trying to find grain not contaminated by mold in the cold and rain.

It is ironic that this is also the time which has spawned the greatest movements to stop doing the things which have made us successful as a species.

It isn't the warmest times which have come close to extinguishing the light of humanity, it is the coldest and darkest, brought about by major volcanic eruptions (Toba, for example)  which have come closest, followed by the devastation of unusual cold, ineffective sunlight, and insufficient growing season, or cooler shifts in climate (the little ice age), with much the same sort of result, albeit not as drastic.
Beyond that, if you really want to look to the future our survival as a species may well depend on continuing to explore, not on this planet, but to spread through space to other planets and their moons, and perhaps someday, even other solar systems. Provided we can stay sane long enough.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:55:52 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
You guys are getting way to serious.

[attachment deleted by admin]
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
This the one I was really looking for.

[attachment deleted by admin]
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Smokin Joe

In just another 100 million years...!!

C S Lewis