Author Topic: R.I.P. Coach Dykes  (Read 3369 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
R.I.P. Coach Dykes
« on: April 10, 2017, 07:33:57 pm »
Also posted in Obits

Spike Dykes, who retired as Texas Tech’s winningest football coach and matched the victories with his legacy as a colorful character full of funny stories, died early Monday of an apparent heart attack. He was 79.
http://lubbockonline.com/news/sports-red-raiders/sports/2017-04-10/former-tech-coach-spike-dykes-dies-79

Loved it when he was beating Texas and those Aggies on Saturday when he was in Lubbock.

Hated it when he was the head coach at Lee High beating my MHS Bulldogs on the last Friday in November every year.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: R.I.P. Coach Dykes
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 01:04:06 am »
He was a guy you would describe if someone asks 'what is a football coach?'

His time at Texas likely helped him win a few from UT, more than most if not all Tech coaches.

Tech began missing him the year he retired.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 01:44:35 am »
Also posted in Obits
http://lubbockonline.com/news/sports-red-raiders/sports/2017-04-10/former-tech-coach-spike-dykes-dies-79

Loved it when he was beating Texas and those Aggies on Saturday when he was in Lubbock.

Hated it when he was the head coach at Lee High beating my MHS Bulldogs on the last Friday in November every year.
Thank goodness you didn't go to Odessa Permian...lol.

I'm pretty sure Permian, MHS, and Lee beat my school in football pretty much every year....BUT...we crushed you in Tennis...lol.
@txradioguy

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 09:34:17 am »

I'm pretty sure Permian, MHS, and Lee beat my school in football pretty much every year....BUT...we crushed you in Tennis...lol.
@txradioguy

We lived in Odessa briefly in the early 80's and I remember my mom telling me she'd send me to the old Ector HS before I went to Permian. I felt the same about Lee. I went to MHS when the only thing we were consistently good at was Basketball.

I graduated just before everything that happened in Friday Night Lights. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 12:15:56 am »
I remember when he coached at Coahoma and Big Spring. I grew up in the Garden City area, just 30 miles to the south of those two towns.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 12:18:55 am »

@txradioguy

What Little SWC school did you attend? Big Spring?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 01:13:11 am »

I remember the year Big Spring dropped out of District 4-5A. I think they are down to the 3A level now.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 03:58:49 am »
Abilene Cooper High School...home of the cougars.  We sucked at football.  Tennis on the otherhand...we won state numerous times.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 12:19:26 pm »
I remember the year Big Spring dropped out of District 4-5A. I think they are down to the 3A level now.

Actually 4A now that the UIL has re-organized to make 6 man schools 1A and 11 man small schools 2A D2.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 04:23:39 pm »
Actually 4A now that the UIL has re-organized to make 6 man schools 1A and 11 man small schools 2A D2.

Oh yeah that's right.  :facepalm:  I forgot they did that.

My greatest claim to fame where W. Texas HS football is concerned...being the play by play voice for the Stanton Buffalo's when they won the 1997 2A state championship in an upset over Rogers.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 04:25:09 pm by txradioguy »

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 06:30:05 pm »
Oh yeah that's right.  :facepalm:  I forgot they did that.

My greatest claim to fame where W. Texas HS football is concerned...being the play by play voice for the Stanton Buffalo's when they won the 1997 2A state championship in an upset over Rogers.

Hey, go here and put your memories of Stanton's run in the comments section of that game. I grew up right next door to there in Glasscock County. Had a few acquaintances in Stanton back in the day....

http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?action=schedule&T=729&S=1997&GUID=5246318579

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 07:57:24 pm »
Abilene Cooper High School...home of the cougars.  We sucked at football.  Tennis on the otherhand...we won state numerous times.

You guys were a big school for marching band as well.  I remember when MHS went to the Rose Bowl in IIRC 1985...we marched 390 in the Band that year and that was really big for us.

Then here comes Cooper's band...aand they kept coming...and they kept coming...when they staged on the football field there in Midland, they stretched from goal post to goal post and had a sound you could hear in Odessa.

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 02:48:55 pm »
They were not always that way.

I recall when Abilene Cooper had Jack Mildren as QB of what many considered the greatest HS team of all time... that lost to an upstart called Austin Reagan that just began as a high school.  The state championship game ended with Mildren on the goal line trying to get in.

He perfected the wishbone at OU, only to die in 2008 with stomach cancer.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 04:00:44 pm »
They were not always that way.

I recall when Abilene Cooper had Jack Mildren as QB of what many considered the greatest HS team of all time... that lost to an upstart called Austin Reagan that just began as a high school.  The state championship game ended with Mildren on the goal line trying to get in.

He perfected the wishbone at OU, only to die in 2008 with stomach cancer.

That Cooper team was considered an upstart too, at least by the Permian fans out there. They nosed them out of their accustomed position atop the Little SWC that year. Central they could accept once in a while, but COOPER? OMG! (and worse words)

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 04:26:22 pm »
That Cooper team was considered an upstart too, at least by the Permian fans out there. They nosed them out of their accustomed position atop the Little SWC that year. Central they could accept once in a while, but COOPER? OMG! (and worse words)
Cooper still retains the state titles record over Odessa

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/sz5NywRMo0OkgQplhjpsTQ/top-13-teams-with-the-most-texas-high-school-football-state-titles-all-time.htm

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 06:27:44 pm »
Cooper still retains the state titles record over Odessa

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/sz5NywRMo0OkgQplhjpsTQ/top-13-teams-with-the-most-texas-high-school-football-state-titles-all-time.htm

Nope, that's Abilene High, not Cooper. Cooper did not become a high school until the late 50's or early 60's.

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 12:50:52 am »
Nope, that's Abilene High, not Cooper. Cooper did not become a high school until the late 50's or early 60's.
Thx for correction.

Guess I was too young when I left my birthplace in Big Spring to remember.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 01:00:24 am »
Thx for correction.

Guess I was too young when I left my birthplace in Big Spring to remember.

That's where I was born too. In 1956

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 02:45:11 am »
That's where I was born too. In 1956
1951.  Dad was a meteorologist working at the Weather Bureau at Big Spring Municpal airport.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 09:10:42 pm »
1951.  Dad was a meteorologist working at the Weather Bureau at Big Spring Municpal airport.

I have to admit...until I became a program director in Midland at KCRS FM...the two best paying radio jobs I ever had were working for the Wrinkle family at KBST.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 09:22:08 pm »
We had a Dykes coach in HS. She coached field hockey.

Online corbe

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 10:33:16 pm »
   I got my HS Diploma at Abilene High School in 72 through a Dyess, AFB program, already had my GED, took 2 weeks, though I spent most my time in Buffalo Gap and Inpact, invaluable training that helped me survive a 3 year stint in Nawlins years later.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 12:56:04 am »
   I got my HS Diploma at Abilene High School in 72 through a Dyess, AFB program, already had my GED, took 2 weeks, though I spent most my time in Buffalo Gap and Inpact, invaluable training that helped me survive a 3 year stint in Nawlins years later.

Hell, that was back when Impact was the only place you could get liquor between Ft. Worth and Big Spring. It was widely known that the liquor store owners financed the drys in every wet-dry election since prohibition ended....

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2017, 12:56:37 am »
I have to admit...until I became a program director in Midland at KCRS FM...the two best paying radio jobs I ever had were working for the Wrinkle family at KBST.

Do the Wrinkles still own KBST?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 06:39:11 pm »
Do the Wrinkles still own KBST?

No.  Winston died before I ever went to work there.  Heard he was a real SOB.  David his son was running the station both times I worked there.  He's a piece of work and that's putting it nicely...but he was a hell of a boss.

Last I heard he was doing sales for a radio cluster in Little Rock.  His mom who was a very sweet lady was suffering from Alzheimer's.

A Company by the name of KBEST Media owns it now. It's still locally owned.  So I'd wager that the former Sales Manager/GM bought the stations and runs them now.