Author Topic: Ethanol industry, small-engine manufacturers clash over damage from fuel  (Read 3720 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Manufacturers of lawn mowers, snowblowers, chainsaws, and other small-engine equipment continue fueling a debate over the supposed dangers of ethanol, but the ethanol industry argues that they are merely looking for a scapegoat to mask operator error.
Gasoline blended with ethanol has become commonplace for American drivers, especially since Congress enacted the 2007 Renewable Fuel Standard and began mandating increasing amounts of the fuel at gas pumps across the country. Critics argue that while such blends — including the most common, E10, which combines 10 percent ethanol with regular gasoline — pose no problems for automobiles, they can often wreak havoc on small engines.
Those problems become even worse, they say, with higher ethanol blends such as E15.
“You’re putting alcohol into the fuel. They’re different atoms. They don’t like to stay married,” said Kris Kiser, president and CEO of the Outdoor Power Equipment Institute, the leading trade group for power equipment and utility vehicle manufacturers. “This is a big deal, and everybody wants to downplay it. But we’re pretty sensitive to it.”
One of the key issues, Mr. Kiser and others argue, is how rarely much of the small-engine equipment is used. While automobiles run through tanks of gas relatively quickly, lawnmowers and other small machinery often contain the same gasoline for weeks or months.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/9/ethanol-industry-small-engine-manufacturers-clash-/

collusion by the oil industry to blame ethanol unfairly?

Really far fetched.

I believe we are witnessing a dying industry that has been propped up and never made any sense, like Amtrak.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

I finally found an E15 pump at a gasoline station.  It dispenses the standard three octane grades of gasoline, separate hose for diesel colored green, separate hose for E15 colored yellow.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

I finally found an E15 pump at a gasoline station.  It dispenses the standard three octane grades of gasoline, separate hose for diesel colored green, separate hose for E15 colored yellow.
have a car and truck that could use it, but am reluctant to put the poison into the tank.

I grew up when high octane = good.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

have a car and truck that could use it, but am reluctant to put the poison into the tank.

I grew up when high octane = good.

I considered it since my F250 is "FlexFuel" rated.  I may try it later.  It was only a 6¢ discount for 15% ethanol mix, over the "up to 10%" regular.  It was a single octane point higher than regular, 87 vs 88.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I have been running 91 octane no ethanol gas in the fleet. I get about 15% better gas mileage and have only had one fuel pump go out (at 130k miles). Considering the cost of replacing fuel system components, and that one of the vehicles turned 30 this year, I don't mind paying extra. All the small engines run on no ethanol fuel, too, now, after I replaced a couple of carburetors.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

I have been running 91 octane no ethanol gas in the fleet. I get about 15% better gas mileage and have only had one fuel pump go out (at 130k miles). Considering the cost of replacing fuel system components, and that one of the vehicles turned 30 this year, I don't mind paying extra. All the small engines run on no ethanol fuel, too, now, after I replaced a couple of carburetors.

I got 0% difference running a full tank of midgrade or premium over regular on my normal drive for work.

Offline ShadowAce

I got 0% difference running a full tank of midgrade or premium over regular on my normal drive for work.
@thackney
The key is not the octane used, but the "no ethanol" part of his claim.  Gasoline has much more energy in it than does alcohol, so you get better mileage.

Offline thackney

I have been running 91 octane no ethanol gas in the fleet. I get about 15% better gas mileage

15% better than what?

Offline Smokin Joe

15% better than what?
Better than E10 87 octane. Same vehicles, ran on E10 when I first got them, I decided to switch to no ethanol when winter came to cut down on ice in the fuel and noticed better mileage by the second tankful.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
collusion by the oil industry to blame ethanol unfairly?

Really far fetched.

I believe we are witnessing a dying industry that has been propped up and never made any sense, like Amtrak.

@IsailedawayfromFR
It can't die quickly enough.  Ethanol is a horrible choice.  It provides less power than gasoline per gallon.   When they use corn to produce it the process requires more gasoline then the ethanol replaces.  It damages engines and has a very short shelf life.

Nothing good about using it unless of course you grow corn and pay lobbyists a lot of money.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

@IsailedawayfromFR

Nothing good about using it unless of course you grow corn and pay lobbyists a lot of money.
Archer Daniels Midland created billions of dollars of value for its shareholders on the back of taxpayers and greased many a Congressman's filthy pockets with ethanol.

Offline Joe Wooten

I run ALL my small engines on "no ethanol" gasoline. Sthil gives you an extra year on the chainsaw warranty if you buy and use no ethanol gasoline.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

@thackney
The key is not the octane used, but the "no ethanol" part of his claim.  Gasoline has much more energy in it than does alcohol, so you get better mileage.

Gas has more energy per volume than ethanol, however an ICE extracts more energy per volume from ethanol than it does from gasoline.   Mileage is not about how much energy is contained in the fuel, it's about how much makes it to the driveshaft.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

My Titan is flex fuel and can use E15.  Tried one tank.....   Never again.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

I run one tank of premium (ever 2-3K miles), supposedly the higher octane has an elevated combustion temperature, which in turn (supposedly) will improve in removing some block residues.

But you are right, in my truck there is no discernible difference in gas mileage.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
The only thing that should be 15% ethanol is wine.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

The only thing that should be 15% ethanol is wine.
Frank, is that you?

@Frank Cannon

Offline Smokin Joe

Gas has more energy per volume than ethanol, however an ICE extracts more energy per volume from ethanol than it does from gasoline.   Mileage is not about how much energy is contained in the fuel, it's about how much makes it to the driveshaft.
My experience with Chevrolet 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 5.7 liter Vortec engines, two 1500 Suburbans, a Tahoe, and a 1 ton Express van all got better gas mileage with no ethanol fuel than with E10. Best improvement was in the 1 ton van, which got 16.8 MPG on the highway versus 14.7 MPG (rarely driven in town), the one suburban which is used in town showed the worst improvement, only getting 1 MPG more. These were all run on 87 octane E10 first, then the MPG figured again after two fill-ups with 91 octane Ethanol free. The smallest fuel tank is 28 gallons and these were allowed to get below 1/4 tank before being filled both times. Mileage on the engines from 60K to 210K, none burn oil in any appreciable amount.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:57:26 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I have a 2015 Volvo S60 Polestar and there is a big difference, to the point I have to seek out non-ethanol fuel. The tolerance is so tight, they only recommend E10 maximum and it will trip the check engine light if you run E15.  Lower fuel mileage and worse performance.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
I have a 2015 Volvo S60 Polestar and there is a big difference, to the point I have to seek out non-ethanol fuel. The tolerance is so tight, they only recommend E10 maximum and it will trip the check engine light if you run E15.  Lower fuel mileage and worse performance.

Had an '86 GMC blazer way back.  Sucker would only run on premium gas.  Lower octane tanks caused knocks and sputtering.

Good ole' dealer shop foreman stated that was common and expected.  As a 28 yo youngster, I didn't have a bs meter to show the guy.

Offline Frank Cannon

Frank, is that you?

@Frank Cannon

Mad Dog runs about 15% Ethanol and 5% embalming fluid.

Offline Forum member

Better than E10 87 octane. Same vehicles, ran on E10 when I first got them, I decided to switch to no ethanol when winter came to cut down on ice in the fuel and noticed better mileage by the second tankful.
You may have solved my mystery. My wife has a little PT Cruiser she bought at an auction for far less than it's worth. Uses it to run to town. We had a long cold winter and it refused to start no matter what I tried. She drove other vehicles. This spring it hit high 50s one day and she jumped it again and cranked and it fired. She said she her liquid running for a few seconds after it started. Maybe a fuel line was iced up tight all winter. She burns the 10% ethanol. I'll have her switch to real gas, she only burns a tank every few months anyway.

I rebuilt a 1980 golf cart for use around the place. It was great for years then one day someone dumped in ethanol gas and the carb parts dissolved and it hasn't moved since. Sigh.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
Ethanol bad (as a fuel)
Butanol good

Offline Smokin Joe

You may have solved my mystery. My wife has a little PT Cruiser she bought at an auction for far less than it's worth. Uses it to run to town. We had a long cold winter and it refused to start no matter what I tried. She drove other vehicles. This spring it hit high 50s one day and she jumped it again and cranked and it fired. She said she her liquid running for a few seconds after it started. Maybe a fuel line was iced up tight all winter. She burns the 10% ethanol. I'll have her switch to real gas, she only burns a tank every few months anyway.

I rebuilt a 1980 golf cart for use around the place. It was great for years then one day someone dumped in ethanol gas and the carb parts dissolved and it hasn't moved since. Sigh.
Sadly, the way to scavenge the moisture out of the fuel system is to add even more ethanol. Wait until the tank is down and add a bottle of Heet (NOT ISO-Heet), it comes in a yellow bottle. That will absorb water in the system and you can 'burn' it with the ethanol. Then, fill it with the no ethanol gas. If there is an in-line fuel filter, I'd replace that also, because water tends to settle in such, only to expand and cause problems when it freezes.

You should be able to either get a rebuild kit for the carb or another carb, and get the golf cart back up and running again, provided it doesn't have other troubles.

One other thing, it pays to keep fuel tanks full, because there is less room for contracting fuel and vapor to pull in moisture through the vent in the fuel cap. An empty tank will have more head space, which means the internal pressure of one just left to sit will cycle with temperature during the course of a day, and over time that can put moisture in your fuel system, too. If it's going to be sitting over 6 months, use a fuel stabilizer like Stabil to keep the gas fresh.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

Ethanol bad (as a fuel)
Butanol good

Why is more toxic and more expensive considered good?