Author Topic: How a razor revolutionised the way we pay for stuff  (Read 655 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
How a razor revolutionised the way we pay for stuff
« on: April 10, 2017, 02:23:35 am »
Note: If you know much about economics, this article will probably not be of much interest beyond historical curiosity. To an economic ignoramus like me, it's fascinating.

The man who founded the Gillette corporation, King Camp Gillette, had some surprising philosophical ideas.

In 1894, Gillette published a book arguing that "our present system of competition" breeds "extravagance, poverty, and crime".

He advocated a new system of "equality, virtue, and happiness", in which just one corporation - the United Company - would make all of life's necessities, as cost-effectively as possible.

Gillette's book called for everyone in North America to live in a single city, called Metropolis.

He imagined "mammoth apartment houses… upon a scale of magnificence such as no civilization has ever known", connected by artificial parks with "domes of coloured glass in beautiful designs".

It would be, he said, "an endless gallery of loveliness". His idea didn't take off.

But a year later, in 1895, King Camp Gillette had another brainwave that really did change the world. He invented the disposable razor blade.

It revolutionised more than shaving. Gillette's blade led to a business model that has become ubiquitous in the modern economy. That model is called two-part pricing.

If you have ever bought replacement cartridges for an inkjet printer, you may well have been annoyed to discover they cost almost as much as you paid for the printer itself.

That seems to make no sense.

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39132802
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:24:07 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: How a razor revolutionised the way we pay for stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 02:39:17 am »
I still use a Gillette Super Speed Safety Razor, but I gave up on ink jet printers and switched to lazerjets many years ago.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: How a razor revolutionised the way we pay for stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 04:55:45 am »
I still use a Gillette Super Speed Safety Razor, but I gave up on ink jet printers and switched to lazerjets many years ago.
I learned to refill cartridges. Considering the volume and type of printing I did for a while, I saved several thousand of dollars a year for a few years.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis