Author Topic: 100 Years Later: Popular Mechanics' Coverage of World War I  (Read 1448 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
100 Years Later: Popular Mechanics' Coverage of World War I
« on: April 09, 2017, 07:22:08 am »
Four days after President Woodrow Wilson called for a special session of Congress in early April 1917, the U.S. officially declared war against the German Empire, becoming an associated power with the Allied Forces and entering into one of the bloodiest conflicts to ever grip Europe. It would still take more than two months for the first troops to arrive in the fields of France, but the U.S. had finally chosen a side.

Although often overshadowed by the heroics and horrors of World War II, "The Great War" was a major turning point in American history and its relationship with European powers. Even to this day, World War I continues to influence our lives in obvious and subtle ways. Here are some Popular Mechanics covers and their corresponding stories during the "The War to End All Wars."

More: http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a25970/100-year-anniversary-ww1/?source=Snapzu

Rather neat.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 07:22:33 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: 100 Years Later: Popular Mechanics' Coverage of World War I
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 01:54:06 am »
Vimy, Gallipoli, La Somme, the death toll of some of those world war I battles is staggering. The article is amazing.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 02:23:24 pm »
I agree, great article.

The AHC channel just wrapped up a special documentary on WWI that must have been 3 or 4 episodes.  Each hour long episode packed in plenty of great detail and stepped through all the connections that led from A to B to C.  Very well done and educational.

I'm also wrapping up the Truman biography by David McCullough which details his experiences during both world wars.

Both have provided some real eye openers as well as allowing me to see the big picture more clearly.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 02:42:33 pm »
Looks like Popular Mechanics started WWI out pretty accurately but then got a little too imaginative as time went on.

Fascinating though.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 11:13:44 am »
I agree, great article.

The AHC channel just wrapped up a special documentary on WWI that must have been 3 or 4 episodes.  Each hour long episode packed in plenty of great detail and stepped through all the connections that led from A to B to C.  Very well done and educational.
The recent three-part documentary on the American Experience on PBS was surprisingly good. It even explored Woodrow Wilson's racial bigotry and how he tyrannically threw people in jail for daring to express disagreement with him.

My grandfather was gassed on or about Nov. 11, 1918, near Mont-devant-Sassy. My husband had distant cousins who earned their U.S. citizenship by serving during WWI. Both were wounded.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline r9etb

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 09:51:10 pm »

Imagination vs. reality....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:51:50 pm by r9etb »

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 02:47:42 pm »
The recent three-part documentary on the American Experience on PBS was surprisingly good. It even explored Woodrow Wilson's racial bigotry and how he tyrannically threw people in jail for daring to express disagreement with him.

My grandfather was gassed on or about Nov. 11, 1918, near Mont-devant-Sassy. My husband had distant cousins who earned their U.S. citizenship by serving during WWI. Both were wounded.

You never know what you'll get with PBS - I like it when I'm pleasantly surprised.  They had an excellent series on WWII that focused on the weapons used, but also provided tons and tons of back story as well.  Personally, I enjoy learning all the little details.

My grandfather was gassed as well but got lucky in that the damage was only minor.  Still a big deal sure, but everything is relative and compared to the thousands of others he considered himself lucky.  He worked with horses quite a bit and doing so beat him up more than the gas.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 02:54:51 pm »
The medical treatment prescribed for my grandfather after his gassing was smoking cigarettes. I guess they thought his lungs needed the exercise. He lived to 85 despite the efforts of the Germans and the doctors.  ^-^
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org