Author Topic: Amazon will spend about $4.5 BILLION on its fight against Netflix this year, according to JPMorgan  (Read 1198 times)

Online kevindavis007

Amazon is set to spend a gargantuan ~$4.5 billion on video in 2017, according to analysts at JPMorgan, a figure that would put the internet giant much closer to rival Netflix than many industry observers thought.

In July, Amazon CFO Brian Olsavsky said Amazon would "nearly double" its investment in video, while "tripling" its amount of original content in Prime Video, over the remainder of 2016. This new estimate from JPMorgan on the 2017 budget suggests that spending will continue to blast upward.

Even so, Amazon would still sit below Netflix’s $6 billion content budget for 2017. But $4.5 billion would make Amazon a major, major player in the market. For reference, HBO spent around $2 billion on programming in 2016, and while Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes said that budget would rise a bit this year, he characterized the 2017 HBO programming budget as a “couple of billion dollars” in December.

Read More: http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-video-budget-in-2017-45-billion-2017-4
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I use both, for a total cost of less than $20 per month.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I said it before (not here) and I'll say it again.

With its cornering of e-commerce, and now its push to corner multimedia, Amazon is aiming to become the Standard Oil of our time.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline thackney

I said it before (not here) and I'll say it again.

With its cornering of e-commerce, and now its push to corner multimedia, Amazon is aiming to become the Standard Oil of our time.

I wish they would take on the issue of rural internet, and the lack of bandwidth & total data that makes these products effectively unavailable to many.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
I like the competition with Netflix. I have both.

Offline Frank Cannon

I have both and there is no comparison. Amazon sucks big time. Their content is hard to stream and their layout is confusing and hard to search. If it wasn't for Grand Tour, I would ditch them in a heartbeat till they get their shit together.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
I have both and there is no comparison. Amazon sucks big time. Their content is hard to stream and their layout is confusing and hard to search. If it wasn't for Grand Tour, I would ditch them in a heartbeat till they get their shit together.

We have it as Amazon Prime bundle which gives us free shipping and lower prices on certain items. I agree there's much room for improvement.

Did you watch "The Man in the High Castle"?

There's also a series where Billy Bob Thornton plays a drunken lawyer who takes on a corrupt corporation that I liked.

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
Earlier this year I purchased a LG OLED 4k 3D TV and have been very happy with Netflex premium plan for UHD.  Netflex appears to be the leader in HDR & Dolby Vision streaming content.  Happy customer! 

Once Amazon gets it act together and adds more 4k content, I will add their service.  For current movies, I use VUDU.  Standard cable/satellite providers are being replaced in the industry.

Your Guide to Cable TV Cord-Cutting

"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman