Author Topic: Jeff Bezos sells $1 billion a year in Amazon stock to fund space travel push  (Read 1287 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
COLORADO SPRINGS — Looking to start space-tourism flights in 2018 that he predicts will open the floodgates for a new breed of entrepreneurs, Amazon.com Inc. AMZN, -0.38%   CEO Jeff Bezos said in some years he has personally invested up to $1 billion to further those goals.

Flanked by a New Shepard rocket featuring the telltale scorch marks of multiple flights, Bezos appeared before a gaggle of reporters during a conference here Wednesday to lay out his vision for Blue Origin LLC, the company he founded more than a decade ago to lower launch costs and make reusable rockets a reality.

He said he was “hopeful” that Blue Origin will begin offering trips for paying customers next year, adding that “I’m super optimistic” there will be a large market for such 11-minute thrill rides in a fully automated capsule offering views of the earth from the edge of space. Blue Origin hasn’t yet set a price or begun marketing efforts.

As one of the world’s most successful and widely known entrepreneurs—and a self-described “space geek” who became fascinated by human exploration of the heavens as a youngster after watching Apollo moon landings—Bezos has pumped big chunks of his fortune into Blue Origin. Until Wednesday, however, he kept the amount confidential.

But in response to questions about the company’s finances, he said: “I sell about $1 billion a year of Amazon stock and I use it to invest in Blue Origin.”

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/jeff-bezos-envisions-coming-golden-age-of-space-travel-2017-04-05
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Putting his money where his mouth is.

Very good.

Online kevindavis007

Putting his money where his mouth is.

Very good.

I agree, I still think that Bezos is going to beat Musk..  Musk is like the Hare from the story of the Tortoise and the Hare..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

I agree, I still think that Bezos is going to beat Musk..  Musk is like the Hare from the story of the Tortoise and the Hare..

Musk is shooting for mars with no real plan for what he'll do once he gets there. Bezos is hopping to the next stone with a plan of putting down roots and getting comfortable and learning what we can before the next jump.

I wish they could work together I don't see it happening.

Online kevindavis007

Musk is shooting for mars with no real plan for what he'll do once he gets there. Bezos is hopping to the next stone with a plan of putting down roots and getting comfortable and learning what we can before the next jump.

I wish they could work together I don't see it happening.

That is what Aldrin is saying as well, I happen to think he is right.

I think some kind of consortium should be formed, but I don't think it is going to happen soon.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/