Author Topic: Russia challenges Trump to say what he would do about Syria  (Read 520 times)

geronl

Russia challenges Trump to say what he would do about Syria
« on: April 06, 2017, 08:15:30 pm »
Moscow (CNN)Russia has challenged US President Donald Trump to set out his strategy on Syria after he said an apparent chemical weapons attack had transformed his views on President Bashar al-Assad's regime.

Trump, who has previously argued against removing Assad from power, said the attack on a rebel-held town in Syria's Idlib province was a "heinous" act that "crossed a lot of lines for me."

Trump has not offered any details of how US strategy on Syria would change -- but he did tell some members of Congress that he's considering military action in Syria in retaliation for Tuesday's chemical attack, a source familiar with the calls told CNN on Thursday.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/middleeast/syria-idlib-chemical-attack/

geronl

Re: Russia challenges Trump to say what he would do about Syria
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:17:41 pm »
US military and intelligence officials told CNN that Syrian planes dropped bombs at the time and place that the chemical attack was reported to have happened. A US official said radar intelligence followed the radar track of regime airplanes and the infrared heat signature of the bombs.

Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem denied the government carried out airstrikes at the time of the reported attack and repeated the government's claims it had never used chemical weapons and never would.

He said the government's first strike happened at 11:30 am, about five hours after reports of the chemical attack emerged.
That strike hit a depot holding chemical weapons smuggled into the country by terrorist group Al Nusra Front, he said.

and it would not be the first time that has happened.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 09:29:56 pm »
Basically, I think we are looking at what Carly Fiorina first said a little more over a year ago,

A no-fly zone, isn't that what is being reported? You fly over it and risk the consequences.

So, at a minimum, we might be dealing with that.

My fellow Midlander, George Bush's action in Iraq largely ran into trouble because of outside intervention by those like Iran and Assad.  If this were down to a vote, I don't know how I'd go, we don't want war but I shed no tears for those like Assad.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:32:25 pm »
http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/chlorine-attack-hama-hours-after-trump-condemned-assad-67421346

According to this, there was even a second bombing after Trump condemned Assad. But no one else is reporting this that much.  I'd lean towards it happened though.  Barrel bombs have been used in Syria and Iraq, I guess, they are the poor man's bomb.  Crude.

geronl

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 09:53:16 pm »
Basically, I think we are looking at what Carly Fiorina first said a little more over a year ago,

A no-fly zone, isn't that what is being reported? You fly over it and risk the consequences.

So, at a minimum, we might be dealing with that.

Russia dominates the skies over Syria at the moment