Author Topic: But what next?  (Read 2234 times)

Offline pjohns

But what next?
« on: April 05, 2017, 02:52:09 pm »
One may reasonably wonder why, exactly, the Democrats are intent upon fighting battles that they cannot win--such as the effort to stop Neil Gorsuch's confirmation to the Supreme Court.  (Yes, they have enough votes to sustain a filibuster; but that will almost certainly lead to the "Nuclear Option," thereby making the threshold just 51 votes--or 50, plus the vote of the vice-president--and very few people in either party want to see the Senate blown up that way.)

Strategically, it would make much more sense to work with President Trump on some things, and oppose him on others--as has traditionally been the case with a president of the other party.  (Using this as an example, Neil Gorsuch will just replace the late Antonin Scalia--an originalist and a textualist, for the very same--whereas the next appointment might actually change the balance of the Court.) 

One is reminded of Emperor Hirohito's decision to bomb Pearl Harbor, in 1941.  Presumably, he asked himself, "Can we do it?"

The follow-up question should have been, "Yes, but then what?" 

The same is true with the Democrats' obstructionism. 

My sense, however, is that many of those who form the Democratic base are so embittered and enraged--they thought that they would surely win the presidential election in 2016; and perhaps even take control of the Senate, also--that they are pressuring their Senators and Representatives to take the path of obstructionism at every turn. 

Some, of course, will compare this to what once happened with former President Obama.  But there is really  no comparison.  The right disliked Barack Obama's policies; whereas the left has a visceral distaste for Donald Trump.

Comments? 

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: But what next?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 02:56:05 pm »
It is more than a visceral distaste.  Their hatred for Gorsuch - one of the nicest, most collegial chaps imaginable - is purely ideological. 

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 07:40:22 am »
Resist!

Resist at all costs, at every turn, for any reason.  Just resist.  When your goal is revolution the little details don't matter much now do they?

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 10:34:59 pm »
It is more than a visceral distaste.  Their hatred for Gorsuch - one of the nicest, most collegial chaps imaginable - is purely ideological.

Even people who think Donaldus Minimus is a chintzy, vulgar, leaf-brained, vain, did I say vulgar, half-witted,
wit-starved, did I say vulgar, pissant populist who (in P.J. O'Rourke's phrasing) sounds like the rest of us only
when we've had six drinks, agree that he did it right with Neil Gorsuch. Which tells you that handing the
pick off to the Heritage Foundation (which is what I've heard he did) or the Cato Institute (which isn't what
I've heard he did, but it wouldn't have been a terrible idea if he had) wasn't a bad idea.

Besides, Gorsuch spoke lovingly about the Constitution. Of course they were going to hate him for that.
To them the Constitution is the parent who says "don't even think about it" while they were thinking about it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:37:16 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.